SAU Community

New Gtr Owner

Hi all, i'm new to the forum and also new to GTR ownership, so thought I might share my new ride. It took me 6 months to find this car, but it was well worth it. I'm a mechanic and have owned 24 cars, mostly imports so I knew what I was looking for. Compared to most of the GTRs I had looked at this car is immaculate, with no accident history, no rust, has been well serviced, hasn't got a rattle or squeek in it, and has some tasty additions to boot!!

March '90 model

110ks (genuine as far as I can see, belt changed feb '03 @ 104ks)

Black

17' work rims with potenza g3s

HKS ball bearing turbos (I think 2510s)

HKS split dumps into full 3.5' system

HKS oil cooler and remote filter setup

MINES retuned ROM

Possible cams and/or adj. cam gears

Straight off the boat pulled 228kw at all fours in shootout at 1.2 bar, but it doesn't make that boost till 5500-6000 rpm even in 3rd gear.

I know it needs some form of boost control (has restricter removed)

but any suggestions as to why it takes so long to climb onto boost will be welcomed. My tuner also suggested it may have a full MINES built motor, as it is painted in a goldy/silver hue, apparently their colour. The compresstion of 160 accross all four, HKS gear, no oil leaks and lumpy idle may also support this idea.

Anyhoo, any feedback on my boost issue would be great, cheers!!

post-22473-1123547201.jpg

post-22473-1123547328.jpg

post-22473-1123547553.jpg

You've got one problem that i can see,

You say all 4 have 160 compression.

That could be a problem as it's a 6 cylinder car.

hahahahahah

2510's should make boost sooner than standard turbos, but they may run out of puff before redline. not sure about the rest of the stuff sorry.

hahahahahah

2510's should make boost sooner than standard turbos, but they may run out of puff before redline. not sure about the rest of the stuff sorry.

Like the man says.

Do you have a chart from the Dyno? If so post it up.

Could be a few things:

Firstly, sounds like a tuning issue. So check the A/F ratios and the ignition advance. Mines ECU's are well known for running fat on both fuel & ignition advance. Works ok in Japan, but less well on our fuel.

Secondly, boost is coming on way too late. Again, probably a tuning issue.

If you can swap it for a stock ECU or a Power FC for a back to back test this will tell you what you need.

Thirdly, if you think it has adjustable cam gears then pull the front cover off & have a look. It is an easy job. You need to do this because a side affect of adjusting the cam timing is that at the sime time the ignition timing changes. So you need to know the cam phasing to set your ignition timing.

Kralster - typo, so why don't you shut the @#%^up unless you have something constructive to say. Cheers to the other opinions, - about the conclusion I had already come to. I knew the MINES would need to go, power FC when $$ permits. A/F ratios were about 11.6:1.

I would suggest that if it had a mines engine you would know because it would be most certainly listed on the auction report and most likely on the de-reg papers too. the colour of the rocker covers doesn't look like a mines colour to me either.

now boost not arriving until 5500 is quite a problem. the turbos are obviously quite small as the peak power is about average for a stock turbo'd GTR, but they should be hitting 1.2bar by 4000rpm.

I would be interested to see what the power curve looks like.

FTR If this is just a fresh import GTR I would spend some time replacing all consumables, inspect the timing belt (personaly I would replace it and the idler and tensioner and possible water pump too).

now regarding the mines ecu, just becuase the AFR is ok does not mean that the ignition timing is too far advanced. also have you checked that the base timing is set properly?

The day after I picked it up I replaced oil and filter with genuine nissan items, replaced fluid in both diffs, gearbox, transfer case, brake fluid, coolant, and checked spark plugs but they were fine. Interesting to note that all the fluids I drained looked like they had just been changed, but even so I did them. Timing cover has a sticker stating it was changed Feb '03 @ 104 kms, same date and kms were on the lube sticker. Even so I will be checking the belt and tesioner. Forgot to mention it still has the standard cat, so replacing that with a high flow should give a significant gain.

Hi 2510 the body looks super clean... nice one

that cam covers and timing belt cover look to me like stripped std covers to bare aluminium.

Like Beer Baron said - i'd expect the auction sheet to say 'mines' engine too...

Have fun!

Ummmm, no definately not bare aluminium, the cam covers, timing cover, plenum, and plug covers all have the paint on them. Anyhoo, mines engine or no mines engine, shes pumping now, I *modified* the cat last night and what a difference..... Makes full boost alot earlier now, 1.2 bar by 4200 rpm, (in 1st) and some tuning with power fc should se it coming on even earlier. The car feels totally different, must have picked up 15-20atwkw and I cant' keep the smile off my face.