SAU Community

Proof Needed For Speeding?

godspd

Hello all,

Newbie here, and not a great topic to start things off..but needed some advise.

My question is: do police need to have proof to give you a speeding ticket, or can they do it based on there judgment?

Thanks.

actually i believe they can charge you without a speed camera if it's bloody obvious you were doing way over the speed limit.

Some cops that have been in the force a long time can pass some sort of competency test on judging speeds of vehicles and the evidence can be heard in court.

I work in a College and there is a cop based on site that has booked students without actual evidence other than his good record as a cop.

actually i believe they can charge you without a speed camera if it's bloody obvious you were doing way over the speed limit.

Some cops that have been in the force a long time can pass some sort of competency test on judging speeds of vehicles and the evidence can be heard in court.

I work in a College and there is a cop based on site that has booked students without actual evidence other than his good record as a cop.

Thanks for that, so in other words, you can lose in court if one contests the fine.

Proof. I was doing well over a hundred in sixty a few years ago, and cops pulled me over. They didn't zap me, so they had to let me go. If they pull you over you have the right to ask for the reading. If they can't supply it then they can't give an accurate ticket based on your speed.

Sava

If a cop told me I was doing 70 in a 60 zone and he was going to book me and I asked for the laser reading and he didnt have one, do you think I would lose in court?

Cop wouldnt even bother writing it up if you were polite and were firm saying you were not speeding at all.

Never admit guilt.

If a cop told me I was doing 70 in a 60 zone and he was going to book me and I asked for the laser reading and he didnt have one, do you think I would lose in court?

Cop wouldnt even bother writing it up if you were polite and were firm saying you were not speeding at all.

Never admit guilt.

I didn't admit to speeding but I didn't contest it either.

Never admit guilt.

just be nice about it and they'll let u off with a warning. works 80% of the time.

cops are "trained" to judge speed, and can also use their car's speedo as a means to determine your speed....even though they're speedo, just like any other can be out from factory :D

if you get pulled over for speeding, you are allowed to ask to see the readout, but if they use the judgement thing, you'd probably lose.

and if the cop is being a prick, then no matter how nice you are, you wont get off...being in a skyline probably wont help either if you're young

Proof. I was doing well over a hundred in sixty a few years ago, and cops pulled me over. They didn't zap me, so they had to let me go. If they pull you over you have the right to ask for the reading. If they can't supply it then they can't give an accurate ticket based on your speed.

Sava

Being let off doesn't prove they need proof. They just didn't do it to you.

Getting done proves they can do it. I got done like that :\

exactly as above. Some cops are just lazy and decide it's not worth the hassle to book you on a judgement call. Especially if you contest it straight away and you weren't much over the limit.

If you're in the next bracket up 20-30km over the speed limit I'm sure the cops would be more comfortable in taking you on in court and you'd probably lose.

iv been to court b4 for doing 50 over when i was only doing 20 over the limit.. cop had no proof and i paid good money for sum1 to talk for me and still lost.. you need proof you wernt speeding more than they need proof to say you were

iv been to court b4 for doing 50 over when i was only doing 20 over the limit.. cop had no proof and i paid good money for sum1 to talk for me and still lost.. you need proof you wernt speeding more than they need proof to say you were

Pretty much what I thought, similar advise was given by a lawyer friend of mine.

Anyway, thanks guys for the advise...I have decided not to contest it in court and pay the fine and live with a 3 point demerit.

"I thought you were innocent until proven guilty." Isn't that how the law works? If you contest the cop’s allegation, doesn't he have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you were speeding. Cops booking people without a reading is very unjust and if a case like this went to court, the infringements should be dismissed.

They need proof.

Sava

both incorrect.

Police are recognised estimators of speed.

If the circustances are right the court will take the officers word no question almost.

also, police dont have to show you the radar reading if they dont want to.

So sorry, but i dont believe 160 and no fine or anything.

its no so much proof you were not. its more a question of taking thier statement apart.

ive been to court enoguh to know :P

I'm not convinced with peoples answers about estimation of speed. An estimation of speed is a very inacurate way to be booked because there is such a thing called misjudgement, and if you do not have a radar or speed camera or speedo (basically anything that can calculate or compare your speed) then it would not be bookable as the police are subject to error!

I've had an experience where i just got my license and was in my car with 2 mates doing about 110km in a long straight suburban st, a cop pulls out of a st and heads the other way to me, i slowed down as soon as i saw the cop, but from their judgement they could tell i was speeding and u-turned and chased me but by the time they had i was at speed limit again, they pulled me over and just gave me a stern warning that if they hear any reports of my car, that i'd be in real trouble, but could not book me as they did not know my speed.

Yet on the other hand i believe they can use some descrepency, as another time i got caught street racing, but let me off on a speeding fine. They told me that they assumed i was doing over 100km as they had to do 130km to catch up to me. I can't remember if i got booked for 110 or just 100, but they were nice and let me off on less serious charges due to some circumstances.

So my belief is that they can use their judgement but only when they have something to go off (for example the cop went off what speed they had to do to catch me). But as for a police car going the opposite way, they would not beable to determine your speed at just watching you go past.

So all in all i think it comes down to the circumstance in how the cop catches you speeding whether they were able to go off something, coz if they can't then they can't do shit!