SAU Community

Engine Management Systems

Kennedy

Hi Guys,

Just about to import my first skyline and have a few questions.

1. When is it time to get an A/M EMS ? Do I need it if I'm running an R33 GTST with exhaust, BOV, Intercooler and standard turbo?

2. What's the sh#t when it comes to EMS?

2. Do the R33T require PULP?

Thanx in advance for all your help

Edited by Kennedy

1. There is no specific level of mods that you have to get an aftermarket EMS at, but the level of mods you listed is around the stage I'd be looking at changing it. Either that or turbo next.

2. Apexi Power FC!

3. I'm not sure if they REQUIRE it, but just about everyone uses at least premium, and most use 98 octane like Shell Optimax, Caltex Vortex98 or BP Ultimate. Japanese have access to even higher octane.

If you get it tuned( say with your new PFC), tune it on 98 octane and run only that, to maximise performance.

When/if you do import your Skyline, don't go out and buy a big list of parts to whack on it when it arrives. In fact, don't buy anything performance wise until you have it and its all sorted and you know its in good condition.

.... and research, research, research!

Read everything you can on the forums, use the search function if you find something you want more info on, and chat to as many people who own skylines as you can. You can never learn too much, especially on something that will cost you so much.

With petrol price so damn high..i think 95RON might be the only substitute...:rolleyes:

Around here there is only 4 cents a litre difference between 95 and 98, that's $2.40 per tank fill. Personally, I pay the $2.40 for the extra performance. Plus I get better economy on 98, so I reckon it under $2 a tank difference. And fuel is tax deductible for me, so that's $1 per tank, can't buy much for a buck

:unsure: cheers :huh:

4 cents? fark me.

In vic the average diff is around 10cents.

Its insane. Paying $1.38 per litre is ridiculous

not everyone can claim it on tax. and its generally the poorer with lesser jobs who cant claim the retail tax back anyhow (which is 38% or whatever it is)

Second that Spooks especially the insurance and a at bear minium should have bomb insurance, good luck with the skyline kennedy.

Edited by gtst4d

4 cents? fark me.

In vic the average diff is around 10cents.

not everyone can claim it on tax. and its generally the poorer with lesser jobs who cant claim the retail tax back anyhow (which is 38% or whatever it is)

Shoooooot, in Vic is the difference between 95 ron and 98 ron really 10 cents??????

In Sydney the difference between 92 and 98 is 10 cents, and 95 is half way in between.

:P cheers :blink:

With petrol price so damn high..i think 95RON might be the only substitute...:blink:

Don't do it! Will the money you save pay for an engine rebuild? Anyway your fuel economy will be better with 98 so you'll not be saving as much as you think.

$1.38 per litre! Bloody hell that's cheap, here in the UK petrol has just reached £1.00 a litre for 98 RON, which is about AU$2.39 !!!!!!

Cheap petrol and great weather, you guys have it all :P

Edited by PlasticStan

Around here there is only 4 cents a litre difference between 95 and 98, that's $2.40 per tank fill.  Personally, I pay the $2.40 for the extra performance.  Plus I get better economy on 98, so I reckon it under $2 a tank difference.  And fuel is tax deductible for me, so that's $1 per tank, can't buy much for a buck

:) cheers  :(

I am glad to hear that others believe that they get better economy out of better fuels.

I have only used Optimax for a long time now, after trying different fuels and feeling that they don't go as far.

With the performance edge it has to be 98 RON all the way.

El Bee

I am glad to hear that others believe that they get better economy out of better fuels.

I have only used Optimax for a long time now, after trying different fuels and feeling that they don't go as far.

With the performance edge it has to be 98 RON all the way.

El Bee

Just thought id better speak up about 98ron fuel...

My sister is a chemicals chemist for the qld government and they did a lab test on fuel. They found 4 out of the five samples of optimax were more around the 96ron area and not the advertised 98ron level.

All 5 samples of BP ultimate were 98 and all 5 samples of caltex 98 were 98ron... So because of this i always use bp ultimate (cause there are no caltex servo's near me) I dont care about the 4 cents a litre discount when you arent getting what you paid for.

Good exsample i put a tank of optimax in with my 4 cent voucher once and the car pinged like i was running regular. Now with ultimate i have never pinged.

Stick to what you know.