SAU Community

Know anything about Formula Ford cars?

Silver-Arrowz

I'm really thinking of selling the line and getting a competition/hooligan car. Open wheeler is what I really want to get into but I've got no carting experience. Looking around I see some Formula Ford cars for sale and I just wanted to know a few things?

How are they on reliability?

How expensive can repairs get?

I wouldn't mind racing it, but more just track days, hillclimbs and maybe a club on occasions. Is this possible?

Anyone know where I can go to get more info?

Formula Ford is a very competitive form of motorsport. I have dealt with the Australian Van Dieman distributer who is a top guy and really supports the category and when he can the young drivers in it.

Very reliable and provided it doesnt get bounced off too many things then they dont require huge amounts of maintenance. Be warned though the Australian Formula Ford (FF) championship has a registration cost of somethinglike 40k per season, though the NSW State Championship is somewhat cheaper (Sponsors?)

If your looking to use an open wheeler for Hillclimbs etc you are better off buying a hillclimb style of car, i have been involved in the design and building of a Kawazakiu powered (600cc) FF style car, and its cheaper to buy a well sorted chassis then build one from scratch.

Hope this helps.

(Me thinks you should buy an R32GTST or S14 Sylvia import and run in the Imporved Production Series, cheaper, can drive the cars to/from track and also run at track days, hillclimbs etc

Formula ford is probably not your best bet, if you hit a wall or something then repairs will be very expensive. They are generally reliabel though as the motor is very basic, they are not all that fast and there are a lot better things to drive.

Formula fords dont have very much grip and to go fast you need to push very hard and slide the car around a bit due to there being no wings/slicks. So unless you want to race a which is very expensive to be competitive look to something different.

Try fingding a old club car to drive around a track or something made to hillclimb if thats what you want to do( or just mod the line with some trick sus and race that)

You could also just get a Kart, if you have never driven one you will be very impressed with the speed and it will take you a while before you are really fast. This is the best/cheapest way to get a thrill and learn to drive a race car.

Thanks for the replys.

Well, I want to move away from turbo cars as their just headaches. Every car is a headache but turbo cars are just too much plumbing here and there so I want something simple. Reading an old magazine I came across those club cars like the Caterham or Westfield. Are these better alternatives?

Hey Toulia,

I've never owned or driven a FFord, but they don't seem like a gret place to start. Basically, if you're racing, since FFord is looked at as the path to F1 in Aus, ppl spend a fortune on their cars, even in the state champs. If you want formula car I'd suggest formula v/monoposto car instead.

But if you're looking for something for track days and maybe some racing, I think saloon car is much better:

1) Panels to bend instead of suspension

2) can sit an instructor or scared passenger alongside.

3) can run at most track days with other salons, open wheelers are normally not allowed.

4) with either sports sedans or improved production (pref), you can still race it.

Clubmans (westfield, lotus 7, PRB etc) not a bad idea, can also race, VERY quick, can take passenger, lower cost of brakes, tyres etc.

I reakon a few of the NSWers should get together and buy a race car or two, ther'ed be a few of us interested.

Duncan,

I've spent a day researching and I'm leaning toards a Westfield SEi kit car with a Toyota 20V engine. Probably take a while to put together but the knowledge gained from building it yourself would be invaluable.

I know personaly how quick they are cause I chased a caterham on the Great Ocean Rd and JESUS! it was quicker than some bikes!

Good choice, just check on its eligibility to race (with Aus Formula 2 in NSW, I think), could affect how you use it in the future, and its resale value.

And, why the corolla engine, what about an SR20, everyone knows they're my favourite engine.....

Good luck.