SAU Community

Hks 3037 Pro S

mait32

Thanks on the info mate im runing same cams and same ecu, do ya think the g-ready plenum will make much difference? I cant belive that he was sqweezing the throtle in 4rth and it steped out thats fu#@en hardcore. which turbo housing would have mine come with do you know???

Ans also what exaust was he running that was no good because im just about to change mine because in having similar problems. What one did he put on.

Don't expect the same results though, your turbo behave much different to an external gated turbo. The 3037 pro s come with either a 0.68 or a 0.87, depends what you ordered.

Regardless of whether its got larger hks gate or not its still going to deliver different results compared to a external gate. its like the guy who were using the HKS gt2835 (internal gate) on their sr20, the response was crap (read: too much lag) and as soon as they switch to the gt2835 external gate it made the car so much more responsive and you could produce more power at a lower boost level.

Edited by ookami

ookami,

I think that SR20 may have had issues with the manifold it was using and or dump pipe. The log style manifolds will always make less power than a well made aftermarket manifold as the aftermarket manifold evens out reversion across the cylinders. This enables you to dial in more ignition timing before detonation sets in.

Reversion bad, with the stock manifold it is amplified if you run a set of cams that have overlap and an exhaust that creates backpressure.

As a rule of thumb, if you do the cams you want the hot side flowing as well as possible. Back pressure is a turbo's enemy.

The response difference between internal and external gate is not noticable. Its the manifold that was causing issues.

Edited by Cubes

The truth is that is difficult to compare 4 and 6 cylinder engines when it comes to turbo response . Differing cylinder sizes and 180 vs 120 degree power stroke phasing puts them in different worlds .

Something worth look at is the different styles of SR20 exhaust manifolds (designed around T25/28 flanges) and HKS's GT30 exhaust housings .

A look around sites such as SR20.com , Sentra Net , SE/R Net tells us that the Americans are sold on the Pulsar GTiR exhaust manifold which was the highest performance factory version of the SR20DET . From what I can tell more effort was put into equalising the 4 runners and it was a little larger in size/volume where they all merged . With a bit of extrude honing (lucky Yanks have people that know what just a little to smooth things up means) makes a good relatively cheap manifold option . The transverse SR20 and U13 Bluebird versions were designed for less pereformance and more response .

HKS as we know sell GT30 exhaust housings in T25/28 flange as well as T3 which is what most of the single turbo RB brigade want/need . There is a huge number of aftermarket SR20/T28 external manifolds out there which is probably way to go for GT28/GT30 turbos in a hurry . Welding up a large bore steam pipe log and a T3 flange is the best way to loose gas speed and turbine response . I'd say it doesn't matter which style of wastegate you use from a turbo response point of view , the manifold and housing type has most of the say with gas speed into the turbine blades for a given engine speed . So in the SR20 GT2835 instance the manifold and housing style would have had more to do with response than the waste gate type .

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks on the info mate im runing same cams and same ecu, do ya think the g-ready plenum will make much difference? I cant belive that he was sqweezing the throtle in 4rth and it steped out thats fu#@en hardcore. which turbo housing would have mine come with do you know???

Ans also what exaust was he running that was no good because im just about to change mine because in having similar problems. What one did he put on.

Mait32, do you have a picture of the back end of your turbo?

Cheers,

Freebaggin.

Yes Id like to see the turbos exhaust outlet as well . Since the 2835 and 3037 Pro s turbos use the same ARR turbine housing sizes they're probably the same , with a different profile machined inside them to suit the respective turbines .

The pictures previously posted (many thanks) of the 2835 Pro S show the amount of effort HKS went to with the waste gates exhaust path . Its been sculpted to help flow down stream of the disc valve - and if its 45mm that's definatly adequate !

I hope to see more of these housings sold separatly or as a Garrett dealer option for Garrett turbos . A bit more expensive but cheaper than aftermarket manifolds and external gates .

Cheers A .

Yes Id like to see the turbos exhaust outlet as well . Since the 2835 and 3037 Pro s turbos use the same ARR turbine housing sizes they're probably the same , with a different profile machined inside them to suit the respective turbines .

The pictures previously posted (many thanks) of the 2835 Pro S show the amount of effort HKS went to with the waste gates exhaust path . Its been sculpted to help flow down stream of the disc valve - and if its 45mm that's definatly adequate !

I hope to see more of these housings sold separatly or as a Garrett dealer option for Garrett turbos . A bit more expensive but cheaper than aftermarket manifolds and external gates .

Cheers  A .

Dicso, it would be a different exhaust housing completely as the turbines are different sizes and therefore the size of the exhauist housing is bigger for the same A/R.

Darren, we could look into sourcing the exhaust housing together and get a better price maybe?? PM me if you want to look into that.

The std GT30 turbine is supposed to measure 59.9mm while the cropped version is around 56.6 . So if the difference is 3.3mm and half that on the radius , the ARR's being the same would be quite a coincidence .

Actually thinking about it the area to radius ratio involves the cross sectional area at any point in the volute and the radius from the centre of that point to the housing centre or turbine shaft axis as a ratio , so turbine OD may not hve much say . Nozzle depth would change though .

Pictures should show any difference .

Cheers A .

You can't but the costs involved in tooling up for two types is quite expensive if one will do . However , look closely at the outlet in those pics . The exhaust outlet hole comes much closer to the seal groove than in the pics of the previously posted 2835 Pro S . The "3037" pic is not good enough to tell if the outlet is a conical or tapered bore either .

I would like to know if it's the 87 ARR housing as this would have to be a different casting to the .68 ARR .

High res pictures needed of HKS GT3037 Pro S .87ARR needed .

Edit : HKS USA site only shows the 2835 Pro S withe the 84 trim "cropped" GT30 turbine (51.8mm exducer ) they must not use the 90 trim version of it . The 3037 Pro S uses the normal GT 30 turbine with its 55mm exducer so 3.2 mm difference .

Really need to know the housing ARR of that 3037 .

Cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03