SAU Community

GTR REAR DIFF SETUP. Nismo GT Pro VS Quaife

Hey guys, I was hunting around on here and found a an old thread in regards to this topic but it hasn't had any new info or comments so I'm trying my luck to get some more up to date info. 

I am in the process of building a R33 GTR, while the engines out to go a bigger sump, head drain etc. I am looking at the front diff thinking it's stupid not to do it while it's out. So down the rabbit hole i've gone, after speaking to my diff builder he has said when making over 500kw you should be looking at doing the rear. Yes I know you can just leave it stock, but I am planning to do the rear as well as the front now. 
My car is a street car and most it's time is seen on the street. From past threads and speaking to GTR owners it really seems like the Nismo GT Pro is a very track orientated diff. I am wanting something that is quiet but performs better than a stock diff. The Quaife is relatively maintenance and sounds like it is better suited for the street. But I am curious if anyone has a Nismo GT Pro 1.5 way in the rear of their GTR that is a mainly a street car, the guy building my diff has suggested he can wind it back and make it more tame for the street but said there will be some noise and some wheel hoping occasionally. Has anyone come across this? Has anyone run both? I would love to hear opinions and feedback if you have run either. 
One thing I found is the guys running the Nismo GT Pro are predominately race cars, mine's far from that. 

Cheers 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the standard diff (assuming you don't have the vspec ALSD), Nissan were kind enough to put a proper race spec diff there from factory. Did your engine builder have any specific benefit to go with the advice to change it?

It is possible (but not particularly likely) that the factory diff centre is worn after 30 years, but if so it is a simple maintenance job to reshim the centre back to either original tightness, or if you want it to be difficult to drive in carparks you can get it tightened up more than factory.  

We use a tightened version of the original diff in the race car and have never had an issue with its ability to lock up when needed

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 4:43 AM, Duncan said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the standard diff (assuming you don't have the vspec ALSD), Nissan were kind enough to put a proper race spec diff there from factory. Did your engine builder have any specific benefit to go with the advice to change it?

It is possible (but not particularly likely) that the factory diff centre is worn after 30 years, but if so it is a simple maintenance job to reshim the centre back to either original tightness, or if you want it to be difficult to drive in carparks you can get it tightened up more than factory.  

We use a tightened version of the original diff in the race car and have never had an issue with its ability to lock up when needed

Yes correct, sorry I should of mentioned it is a non VSPEC. So the diff builder has explained the standard GTR diffs often wear out on the passenger side bearing and the bearing just ends up spinning on the shaft. He has said he can rebuild it to standard build and tighten it, but he doesnt recommend it in higher HP cars. Because it is a weak spot in the GTR rear diffs. I will say that is something I am trying to avoid, wheel hopping in carparks, that would do my head in! 

I don't doubt that the standard diff is capable and can be setup correctly. But the way I see it, if its prone to doing the side bearings lets just eliminate the problem 

On 9/5/2022 at 6:21 AM, Dion_M said:

Out of curiosity experiences have you had? 

I built a franken-helical for my R32 after experimenting with lots of other options. For a street car, they are nearly the perfect diff.

I also corroborate Duncan's input, which is that the factory 2-way clutch type diff is an excellent diff that does not need to be upgraded and actually does not have the bearing "weakness" that your diff builder claims. The bearings will actually be the exact same part regardless of what centre is in the diff anyway, so I'm none too sure what sort of cane toad he has been licking to come up with that story.

I have a nismo 1.5 pro and I am old now and wouldn't use it in a street car. It's an amazing diff though, just be too annoying for weekly drives.  

Rebuilt stock gtr is great in the rear, it still skips slightly on tight tight slow turns but very minor. 

Drives both rears perfectly. 

On 9/5/2022 at 7:55 AM, BK said:

I use Quaife front and rear on the 600kw+ 32. Wouldn't use anything else after swapping to these as they are brilliant

Out of curiosity what type of car is it to be running 600kw, drag, circuit, street? What did you do for the gearbox? 

On 06/09/2022 at 11:06 PM, Dion_M said:

Out of curiosity what type of car is it to be running 600kw, drag, circuit, street? What did you do for the gearbox? 

All of the above - built to be an all rounder. Transmission is an H pattern dog box. Read my eternal money pit build thread for full specs on first page

Don't overthink the diffs, buy the Quaife - nice on the street, excellent grip, turn in is great and locks hard when it has to.