SAU Community

A way around the new import laws?

Haxorz

I'm sure everyone is as concerned as I am... and I was thinking if there would be any way around these new laws? Is there anything wrong with this idea?

If cars need to be complied in stock form, and modified parts removed and destroyed, how about:

1. Modified parts removed from car in Japan and shipped separatley to AUS.

2. Compliance shop in AUS keeps stock of commonly replaced factory parts (like factory exhaust, cooler, turbo), fits these to vehcile for the compliance (and removes after).

3. Third party re-fits mods.

Sure this means more labour costs but at least perfectly good and $$$ mods won't be destroyed?

Would this work? Has someone already thought of another way around this?

I used to live in Japan for a little while and investigated this - unfortunatley the costs of keeping the vehicle for a year (storage/parking) are greater than any saving, although I didn't exactly have the best contacts for storage etc and was staying in the most expensive city.

(see my Avatar, that was in the Nissan showroom in Ginza, Toyko - cool place!)

I do have family in NZ, I think might be more like it! :)

I wouldn't mind hearing some (anonymous) ideas from an importer or a compliance shop?

Guest Boxhead

yeh thats not a bad idea, if you go to nz and live there for a year with a car that you buy, coz then you could bring it over too, and last time i checked you can get nice cheap cars there,

also if you privatly import, you dont need compliance.. you do have to make the changes, but dont need to pay for compliance plate etc

it looks quite hard to get around you replace stuff with stock in japan if you know some one there and send the mods over but you see the car has to be owned by the raws when purchased and shipped so you have no controll over it . difficult eh.

they are trying to discourage us from bringing car in

meggala

Ahhh good point, meggala, didn't know that.

There has to be a loophole somewhere?! Or maybe we'll just have to rely on RAWS who can dodge the system? Sure, they'll be strict for the first few months - but who in there right mind could crush a perfectly good $1500 Apexi exhaust (for example)? It's insane.

I wonder about the rules regarding a RAWS who could take the mods off for you while in Japan? Or maybe even comply the car in Japan? Hmmmm.

If you import yourself, the car goes straight from the boat to the Aust. compliance workshop. Why can't the WS rip the mods off, get the thing complianced and rego'd then put the mods back on later ? Might cost a bit in labour, but not as much a buying the mods new.

How are the new laws being policed ??

I doubt much will change. The workshops are already begining to ship cars with out performance parts for security reasons, then just put them on when they get here.

its like a playstation mod chip, dont matter how much sony try and stop it someone will find a way to do it.

apparently if u want to comply an import car here it must be stock already, not 100% sure though, i think that rule has already been established a while ago,ill find out and get back on this one.

and im sure there are ways around this prob....there always is.

I really don't think that we need to worry so much. I've spoken to a few importers/compliers who are mates of mine and they say that aslong as the car is complied in a factory state then the car is OK, the parts they remove can be refitted for a price. This will mean that the cost of cars will go up about $2K, but that is inevitable.

The cost of labor in Japan is very high, therefore getting them to take bit off a car is not a wise investment.

My 2c

See'ya:burnout:

because of the new laws by SEVS being introduced in May, importing cars will cost more, staring from abt $2000+, depending on the cost of the car u r importing. thus all imports will rise in price!

if u wana import or buy an imported car, NOW is the time to do it, well within the next three months, coz compliancing will cost much much more after this, it'll be more complicated, and only compliancing shops that can afford to pay the new (very expensive) levy's offered by SEVS are gona survive.

this way, SEVS tries to control car importing and pretty much destroyes the hope of importing a car urself. i know most these things coz i know an importer...

my 2c

I reckon that DOTARS or whoever will hire all these new people to police the new SEVS laws, then no-one will import (too expensive) , leaving these new DOTARS guys with no job to do. DOTARS will re-trench all the new hires, then people will start importing again because the policing is not there. :)

Boxhead,

From what I know that is true, but as there is not going to be a qualified engineer waiting for every ship to arrive then what in actual fact will happen is that if the car gets knocked back at the pits for having non-standard parts then those parts will have to be destroyed.

So all the parts will still be around if the compliers are smart, but you'll have to pay to have these parts put back in the car. I'd suggest that you reach an agreement with your complier to make sure that you get the performance bits back.

See'ya:burnout:

Bring the car in mods and all. Leave mods in garage. Buy used stock parts from someone who's modified, get compliance. Sell stock parts to next person who needs to comply.

I think that the stock rule is going to be a little more flexable than expected. I think the goal is to stop the damaged cars from coming in.

We'll all see the results of these new laws in a year or two when teh smoke settles.

Originally posted by BATMBL

if u wana import or buy an imported car, NOW is the time to do it, well within the next three months,

Or sooner, if you want to get a car imported under the old scheme you really need to get it on a boat by late Feb at the latest, otherwise you might run out of time (shipping 4/5 weeks + compliance 1 week or more as complicance houses get busy... getting close to that May date :) ).

I really would have loved that modded GTT in the next year or so...:drooling: you're right though, I'm sure they'll find a way around it - I hope this discussion can give importers/RAWS ideas.

I'm jsut happy I have my cars now and my next car if a nissan might be a 350z but I'll be happy for quite a while.

the raws dont even re~~~y know whats going to happen.

so there might be a quite time for the next few months

after the new laws come in

cheers