SAU Community

Modification To Fit Front Bar

Dee 33

Hi guys. Wasn't sure if this was the correct section for this but I'll post it here anyway considering it's a technical one.

I just purchased a new front bar for very cheap. The problem is, my new front bar will not fit on the car due to a piece of metal (some kind of bracing perhaps) blocking the bar from fitting properly.

I would like to remove this piece of metal but I wanted to check with you guys first to see what you think and if this is a stupid idea, or if other people have also had this done to fit aftermarket front bars. My existing bar (aftermarket) fits fine.

If you take a look at the pics, you can see what I am talking about. I have posted a pic of the new front bar I have as well as a pic of my car and the section of metal which is causing the interference.

I could modify the bar to fit around this metal but the metal will still be able to be seen as the new bar has a large opening in the front and the fact that the metal covers a portion of the cooler.

Please take a look a make comments. Thanks guys - Drew.

post-10303-1126069802.jpg

post-10303-1126069813.jpg

personally i wouldn't. it's the bumper reeinforcement bar and is there for a reason. like most of the front of the car it has a role to play in an accident and in fact cutting it is illegal/defect. but it wont have any major negative impact in the short term, but is does weaken the bumper support.

cutting that would be a stupid idea

if you tap a car in front you will destroy your intercooler, radiator, and possibly the engine

its not there fo no reason, its there as a bumper bar, and takes the force of any impact

just because others cut it off, doesn't mean its correct.

warren.

Rofl interested commons, can someone tell me then how am i ment to make it fit with my fmic?

seriously cutting does f**k all, i had a s1 front bumper support with aftermarket frontbar and roll into a car, the bumper support was muchly cut and it did its job right :)

i now have a s2 frontbar with s2 bumper support, and that needed cutting to fit on my car (and will need more cutting if i put back on my aftermarket bumper support)

p.s comment abotu damging ur engine is total bs ROFL!

ok everyone keeps saying cutting is a poor idea;

Well can someone please explain to me how do i get my FMIC TO fit then? Or more general terms most aftermarket frontbar needs the bummper support to be moded for them to fit ARRR!!!

Hi Gts_Evilution, I didn't need to cut my front bar reinforcement to fit the FMIC, and as you can see in the photo supplied in the original post, that guy didnt need to chop up his reinforment either to fit the FMIC. As for aftermarket bumper bars, that is why they are aftermarket... :) Just because they need to be modified to fit aftermarket front bars doesn't make it any better. It WILL increase the risk for greater damage to your vehicle in a a front end accident and it is there as it's name states to "reinforce", ie. make it stronger.

It makes me wonder though, how the hell does the car above have that bar on there without the cutting?

While cutting does seem stupid, if the negative is only that my front will be weaker in a crash then that doesn't seem too bad.

And yes, I'm aware it would be a defect. But what isn't these days?

Hmmm... more comments thanks guys. I might speak to some workshops as well.

hey fellas i was going to cut the lower section of my series II to fit my FMIC this weekend, but now it doesnt seem like such a good idea. i realise that it would be basically changing the srtructural integrity of the car, but how else are you supposed to fit a front bar or a FMIC?????

any suggestions would be much appreiciated.

Look at mine mate. The fmic fits in fine without cutting as you see my avatar, so does the aftermarket front bar. It's just this specific bar which won't fit.

If I can't cut that piece out, I might just have to cut the bar to fit but you'll be able to see the metal and it will look nowhere near as good.

Note guys, not that I think there is anything wrong with the construciton / performance of a Hybrid cooler...

Just BE AWARE that they are a generic size and shape, not DESIGNED to fit an R32/33/34 GTS/GTR/GTT etc. They have been designed to a price and size, so that the fit a variety of target cars. Unlike a japanese type cooler, which is CAR SPECIFIC (as an aside, I understand that Jpananese mechanics charge like surgeons, so all aftermarket stuff is designed to be BOLT ON with no cutting of bars etc required), the generic type will need to be custom fitted specifically to each type of car. I hope you now see that while the Hybrid types may do as good a job at cooling as a Japanese type cooler, the extra money you spend for a Japanese type cooler is in the design of the placement and mounting kits. I put an ARE cooler on my GTSt (think it was 550x300x100 core) and it got under the reo no problems as it was measured up properly and specific for R33 GTS-t. Personally I would spend the extra money and ensure that I don't cut any structural parts of my car such that a *genuine* roadworthy can be passed.

Cheers