SAU Community

Rb20 / Hks2530 Problem

huddy

got our ceffy back from getting hks 2530 / cooler fitted and tuned... maxd power 225rwkw which is good..

but major LAG problem... not making any hard boost till around 5000rpm ish... its worse than my 13BT with a 35/40 turbo on it....!!!

just go no midrange and heaps pissed about the result... if i wanted a dyno buster would've got a t51 or something stupid...

the hks2530 is supposed to spool up nice and fairly early, its a ball bearing unit aswell!!!....

HELP!!!

***just checked the computer*** it says nissan on it so i guess its a standard comp unless its been remapped previously (but how would i check)??

***took boost controller off, and connected turbo to actuator (to run stock boost???) boost seemed to come on a little earlier around 4500rpm maybe a little earlier, but didnt test enough (also didnt push too hard as was unsure of boost pressure (no boost gauge)...

anyone else have any ideas??? someone suggested checking a hose for a restrictor? is this the hose from actuator to boost control T piece (then to turbo on other side?)

Somethin is definitely wrong there. You shouldl have full boost at 3000rpm or there abouts. A restrictor would actually make more boost if anything. You sure you aint got leaks somewhere? The compure would have to be remapped extremely poorly to make the engine come on boost that late....

Hmm oh yeah. You sure its a 2530!! haha....

Edited by Busky2k

yeah pretty sure its 2530 if it wasnt though i'd be expecting more power aswell.... :P

i didnt think it'd be remap coz with standard turbo on it felt REALLY torquey!!! (well from what i've been used to) and only had 140rwkw then...

it almost feels 'slower' but with 'more' power :) it just feels like it wants to spool up and take off but its also 'feels' restricted...

"anyone else have any ideas??? someone suggested checking a hose for a restrictor? is this the hose from actuator to boost control T piece (then to turbo on other side?) "

Hud the hose with the restrictor in it should be on the boost controler to actuator side I think that right? guys little help?

If anything the restrictor would cause boost to rise faster, by smoothing/slowing airflow to the WG actuator thereby delaying its cracking open. Does the rod to the wastegate flapper have any play or is it rock solid ? Can you move it fore & aft by hand ? I can't think of anything else offhand that would cause your prob...

Somethin is definitely wrong there. You shouldl have full boost at 3000rpm or there abouts.

2530's on the rb20's don't get all their boost in by 3000rpm, the stock turbo does yer. :rofl:

Its around 3800rpm loaded up on the dyno for around 1.1bar.

Edited by Cubes

What about checking all cooler piping hose clamps and see if the bov is shuting.Could be a boost leak.

Just to compare I have a HKS GT2535 on the good old 20 and get 17psi boost by like 3500rpm in 3rd.Pulls hard at @4000rpm.

2530's on the rb20's don't get all their boost in by 3000rpm, the stock turbo does yer. :huh:

Its around 3800rpm loaded up on the dyno for around 1.1bar.

3800 rpm on a dyno? Thats pretty shocking response from a small turbo!! On an SR20 you'd get full boost much sooner than that. Loaded on a dyno you'd easily get 1 bar at 3000 RPM! (So I naturally would have assumed the same for the RB20)

The RB20 has lots of smaller puffs instead of less big puffs.

Not good for spooling a turbo but good for top end, if the head allows the airflow.

As Robo with his RB25DET stated in the following thread.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=84926

2200rpm = 6.5psi

2600rpm = 11.6psi

3000rpm = 15.8psi

3400rpm = 17.3psi

3800rpm = 17.9psi

4200rpm = 18.7psi

4600rpm = 19.1psi

5000rpm = 18.5psi

5400rpm = 17.4psi

5800rpm = 15.8psi

6200rpm = 13.8psi

Edited by Cubes

just curious as i was thinking of getting one of these turbo or a to4 hydrid. Are you still running stock injectors and if so how much boost can you run the 2530 with stock injectors and just 040 fuel pump as i won't be able to afford injectors for a while and you didn't mention injectors in your list

other supporting mods

hybrid GT spec FMIC

hks 2530

hks FCD / standard comp

turbosmart dual stage bleed valve ( possible problem changing soon )

full custom zorst / no cat or mufflers...

apexi pod

apexi bov

Theres something deff not right there!

I find it very hard to believe you can get 225rwkw with std ecu, inj, afm. In fact i think almost impossible.

I have a 2535 full boost is 18psi @ 3800rpm with poncams too...

looks like it may have been the non stock rubber hoses (no restrictor) from the actuator to the front of the turbo housing or the actuator was stuffed.

Im leaning towards the hoses as the actuator(stock one) looked fine we swapped both over over anyway seemed to turn the ceffy into a smoke machine though!!!

if you had seen the smoke I'm sure you would have thought it was making more than 225 rwkw

3800 rpm on a dyno? Thats pretty shocking response from a small turbo!! On an SR20 you'd get full boost much sooner than that. Loaded on a dyno you'd easily get 1 bar at 3000 RPM! (So I naturally would have assumed the same for the RB20)

Make sure the RB T3 and SR/GTR T25 2530s are the same turbo...its possible they are slightly different turbos, with different A/Rs ?????

Make sure the RB T3 and SR/GTR T25 2530s are the same turbo...its possible they are slightly different turbos, with different A/Rs ?????

The GTR/SR style 2530 has a different (smaller) turbine cover than the RB20/25 style 2530.

My guess would be you have either premature wastegate opening (most likely) or a boost leak in the inlet system (less likely). Try disconnecting the boost feed to the wastegate actuator, that will tell you how fast that turbo/engine combo can possibly build boost. Be carefull though, it is only a test to see how quick the boost builds, use the throttle to stop it overboosting ie; back off when it gets to your max safe boost level.

I used that method on the Stagea, so I knew exactly how fast the standard turbo would build boost (10 psi at 2,250 rpm). Then I could tune the IEBC to achieve the fastest boost build.

:( cheers :)

got our ceffy back from getting hks 2530 / cooler fitted and tuned... maxd power 225rwkw which is good..

but major LAG problem... not making any hard boost till around 5000rpm ish... its worse than my 13BT with a 35/40 turbo on it....!!!

just go no midrange and heaps pissed about the result... if i wanted a dyno buster would've got a t51 or something stupid...

the hks2530 is supposed to spool up nice and fairly early, its a ball bearing unit aswell!!!....

HELP!!!

***just checked the computer*** it says nissan on it so i guess its a standard comp unless its been remapped previously (but how would i check)??

***took boost controller off, and connected turbo to actuator (to run stock boost???) boost seemed to come on a little earlier around 4500rpm maybe a little earlier, but didnt test enough (also didnt push too hard as was unsure of boost pressure (no boost gauge)...

anyone else have any ideas???  someone suggested checking a hose for a restrictor? is this the hose from actuator to boost control T piece (then to turbo on other side?)

I'd say tuning...

My car used to be similar, with a chipped ecu and stock injectors

It had little timing down low, making it feel very laggy

Picked up 45rwkw through the midrange after I had it re-tuned with bigger injectors and PFC, I'd say by the sounds of it, and the power its making, there are no leaks etc, its all in the tune

Where was the dyno done?

Chris

i have had it dyno'd since and it seems that i've gained 200nm torque in the midrange... still a little laggy!!

might try putting a 'kink' in the actuator line to create a similar affect 1400R did by tightening his hks actuator a lot more... and resulted in boost coming on earlier ( i know dodgy fix but may work... )