SAU Community

Tie Rods? (where To Source.. What Is It?)

muck

where is the best place to source them ... i dun even know what they are for or what they look like...

ive been told that my right tie rod has gone to the shit....... and im in the search for a new one......

expensive? easy to obtain?

where is the best place to source them ... i dun even know what they are for or what they look like...

ive been told that my right tie rod has gone to the shit....... and im in the search for a new one......

expensive? easy to obtain?

Tie rods are the link between the steering rack and the wheels, so they are somewhat important. As the name implies they are simply a rod, one end has a ball joint screwed on that is connected to the upright. The other end is connected to the steering rack. Tie rods don't wear out, they can get bent if the wheel hits something. Ball joints wear out though, but they are big suckers on Skylines/Stageas, I don't think I have ever seen a worn one. So I think you need to check what it is that is actually worn, neither are particularly expensive. Once you know what it is exactly that you need you can order the part from your local Nissan dealer, check up on the Forum for the Nissan Fast part number.

:) cheers :P

Edited by Sydneykid

SK.. your definately on the money there....

ian and alex kindly gave me the 101 on the tie rod..... and come to conclusion that the ball joint is up the creek.....

these ball joints are they same as those on 33s ? gtr? gtst?

i guess then its time to find a part number

SK.. your definately on the money there....

ian and alex kindly gave me the 101 on the tie rod..... and come to conclusion that the ball joint is up the creek.....

these ball joints are they same as those on 33s ? gtr? gtst?

i guess then its time to find a part number

Everything in the front end seems to be R33GTR, so I would start there.

:D cheers :(

Got knocked back on pink slip today for worn tie rod ends both sides :D

Rang Nissan and they are ex Japan, Part No is 4852023U26, One part is common to both sides.

Beastien.

Is the pink slip you are talking about the roadworthy? If so, why were you having one done - has the car just been complied or are you selling it..??

Ian

I beleive in some states in Australia, cars have to go for blue slip (road worthy) when being registered, and pink slip every year to make sure the car is in roadworthy condition?

Not too sure, but i vaugly remember something like that?

The blue slip in NSW is for a car that is not currently registered (and has had expired rego for more than three months).  The pink slip is a annual roadworthy check

ah that. Is it still as corrupt as it used to be? When I lived in sydney (quite a few years ago) the local service station would give you one (for a fee) and wouldn't even look at the car (you could ride down on the bike and get the car one!)...

Ian

I wouldn't be surprised if it was - I've heard of people who have mates/family who are mechanics, etc. who got their pink slips in what seem to be fairly dodgy ways...

Then again, I've also heard that the RTA can and have been to people's homes to actually make sure the car WAS road-worthy, especially if the car was fairly old.

I remember witnessing the brake-force G-sensing tests being done when they first started using them - didn't take much to fool the device that a test had just been done!

ah that. Is it still as corrupt as it used to be? When I lived in sydney (quite a few years ago) the local service station would give you one (for a fee) and wouldn't even look at the car (you could ride down on the bike and get the car one!)...

Ian

Nah, they cleaned that up a few years ago. No dodgy servo's left.

The RTA does random workshop checks, they pick 5 or so cars that have been rego checked recently by that workshop and have them brought to an RTA testing centre for checking. If they find long term rego issues (not short term stuff like bald tyres that might been OK when the cars where checked) they fine the workshop and cancel their licence.

The RTA also does random car checks, when you take your pink slip in for this years rego, they randomly select a car. Then you have to take it to an RTA testing centre within 7 days and they check it for rego issues, inlcuding short term ones. If they find any rego issues they fine the workshop and cancel their licence.

In both cases the car owner has to fix the problem/problems and take it back to an RTA testing centre before it can be registered. Some dangerous stuff means they cancel the rego on the spot and you can't even drive it home.

Seems to have cleaned out the dodgy inspection shops, which is good for me as it gets rid of those dangerous, smokey, rust buckets with no brakes that frighten the beegeesus out of me when I have to drive near them.

:D cheers :O

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I might get one of these (4852023U26) apart from Nissan? Apparently no one (from Nissan) has one in Australia, and it will take 2 weeks to get from Japan. Unfortunately, my rego runs out before then.

I had the same problem, got knocked back 2 days before rego was due, all i did was ordered the tie rod ends (had to pay upfront), then showed the rego inspector the invoice, and he was kind enough to pass it (as long as u get them put on he said),Like i'm gonna buy 2 new tie rod ends then not put em on :D

I'd talk to the guy an see if he'll do the same, you might be lucky.

They did take about 2 weeks from japan, and i'm not aware of any other replacements.

Got them put on yesterday along with a wheel alignment, and the steering is feeling much better, seems tighter and more direct.

Beastien.

Yeah, that'd be nice. I got the inspection done at the place I always go, but the bloke who normally checks it wasn't there. This other guys gave me feelings of "shiftiness", i.e. I feel like I've been ripped off. Unfortunately, I don't have time to go somewhere else and get it double checked just yet, plus IIRC, you MUST go back to the same inspection point once the repairs have been made.

Anyway, this guy says he can't pass it, even if I book it in with him to do the repair. Tool.

• 2 weeks later...