SAU Community

Pfc Hand Controller...

J-Boy

Hiya all...im wondering what would be the advantages of having the hand controller and not having one with the Power FC. Say the tuner who will do the tuning of the car does not need the hand controller, so what benefits would there be to the owner having one?

debug any problem

adjust the tune yourself

adjust rev / idle settings

try temp ign and fuel correction yourself

change airflow meters yourself

check factory oem sensors for problems

monitor overall tune in real time

monitor max values for each item to look for unsafe levels

without the hand controller you may as well have a remapped ecu imho

i have the hand controller and use it pretty much as often as i drive my car, to watch for knock, check airflow and injectory duty. watch for sensor check to try and debug my cold start issue. to temp adjust ign timing for some more fuel economy

Wot values is the hand controller capable of displaying and how do we actually see if the engine is knocking or not on the hand controller?

Basically then the hand controller can show how many % the injectors are running at? Cuz im not a ecu guru and am wondering how hard is it to actually know wot im tuning or changing with the hand controller.

Is it right to say that fer the occasional track-goer, the hand controller is a definite must?

hand controller is quite usefull. it displays:

knock

water temp

revs

speed

inlet air temp (in GTR)

afm voltage

injector duty

voltage

probably more stuff that i've forgotten. i use it quite a bit just for monitoring and sometimes adjusting rev limit.

Hmmm i guess the main values that i will want to observe will be the knock and injector duty.....

Anyone can tell me if there is 1 or 2 power fc fer the r33 gts-t? As in the series 1 and 2 r33, do they run different power fc? Or its just 1 standard power fc made fer the r33 gts-t?

And i'm pretty confused with my car cuz its a march '95 car, it probably is the s1.5, but does the 1.5 have all the same engine n internals n turbo as the series2? I think theres no ABS on my car although i'm not sure, i don't have the passenger airbag and well my front bar is not a series2 front bar.

hmmm ok...have u had any experience with this mismatch? Cuz alot of people and workshops hav told me that the hand controller is universal fer all power fcs.

hmmm ok...have u had any experience with this mismatch? Cuz alot of people and workshops hav told me that the hand controller is universal fer all power fcs.

Better not listen to those people again, and avoid those workshops because they are WRONG. I have seen 6 different models of Commander and I haven't found one that will work on any Power FC's other than the model/models it is listed for. ie; there is no universal one. For Nissans, there are 2 Commanders that seem to do most models. From memory the 415-X001 is by far the most common. And the 415-N001 is for use with the later models of Power FC's. Check out the application chart for your particular model.

:D cheers :O

knock - shown by a flashing engine warning light when you have a PFC

water temp - Shown on the instrument cluster on all skylines (called a temp guage)

revs - Shown on the instrument cluster on all skylines (called a tacho)

speed - Shown on the instrument cluster on all skylines (called a speedo)

inlet air temp (in GTR) - so you know the outside air temp. I use the weather service on the news to get this (the day before)

afm voltage (never needed to know this)

There are other devices you can use to monitor/log your engine figures, and a log over time is probably better than trying to read it whilst driving.

I dont have the controller, I trust the tuner (which I am not and never will be) to set the car up correctly on the dyno. I worry about those who tamper with their PFC hand controllers and end up with a car out of tune.

Everyone one has their own opinion, but I wouldnt consider having one as a necessity

knock - shown by a flashing engine warning light when you have a PFC

water temp - Shown on the instrument cluster on all skylines (called a temp guage)

revs - Shown on the instrument cluster on all skylines (called a tacho)

speed - Shown on the instrument cluster on all skylines (called a speedo)

inlet air temp (in GTR) -  so you know the outside air temp. I use the weather service on the news to get this (the day before)

afm voltage (never needed to know this)

There are other devices you can use to monitor/log your engine figures, and a log over time is probably better than trying to read it whilst driving.

I dont have the controller, I trust the tuner (which I am not and never will be) to set the car up correctly on the dyno. I worry about those who tamper with their PFC hand controllers and end up with a car out of tune.

Everyone one has their own opinion, but I wouldnt consider having one as a necessity

you are not a very sharp cookie mate. the air conditiong display shows ambient or outside air temp. the inlet air sensor is mounted in the plenum chamber, so it tells you the heat of the air that your engine is ingesting. hahaha, you are a pretty funny guy you call the weather service to get an reading of the air temp inside your inlet tract? you must have a very special service.

as for the factory water temp gauge, you must be kidding. it sits in the middle from about 50 degrees to 95 degrees... it's very close to useless.

speed, after a run it's usefull to be able to recall your peak speed. and i can tell you that @ indicated 180kph the speedo is a fair way out, and past that there are no marking? so what are you reading? your hand?

i won't bother explaining the uses for any more of the displays to you.

HEHEHE, funny beer baron :D

J-Boy, hand controller is extremely useful. On saturday, the warning light falshed on the dash for a sec or two, with out the hand controller, I wouldnt have known that the power FC had just recorded 98 knock..?

First time ever, usually sits about 10-20 under full load and this was at night time.. Very useful tool..

Yeah i think after all the comments and advice, i'll prob get the power fc with the hand controller...think the knock display and injectory cycle would be of the most concern to me on the display of the commander to me...

Beer Baron - i have a Blitz RVIT which displays all of those firgures besides Knock, its a good little unit, its basically the Power FC hand controller it can be used on the std ECU, basically same thing as the Niss Dat scan tool.

Gives, injector cycle, ingition timing, air flow, revs, speed, water temp, intake temp.

Got it for $320 from Autobarn brand new

nissan consult tool is like $80 :)

Beer Baron - i have a Blitz RVIT which displays all of those firgures besides Knock, its a good little unit, its basically the Power FC hand controller it can be used on the std ECU, basically same thing as the Niss Dat scan tool.

Gives, injector cycle, ingition timing, air flow, revs, speed, water temp, intake temp.

Got it for $320 from Autobarn brand new