SAU Community

Melted Cat

noise

Thats dodgy pratice for a mechanic to be doing that sort of thing. He could be up for massive fines, and more likely to be on the receiving end of the fine than joe public.

Cat shouldn't melt.. must have some massive heat (...more so than standard) coming down your exhaust, which could be a cause for alarm

People DO get fines for this. I know of a $3200 fine. happend to someone i know at small car sunday one year. The police were there inspecting cars. All they were checking was ride height and exhausts. they let everyone off with a warning except for those with environmental issues.

I think there were 3 cars fined in total and one was for no catalytic converter.

BE WARNED!!!!

There is a guy on these forums called BATMBL and he sells very good quality cats for a good price.

Check to see if your O2 sensor is connected. and if so you shouldnt be melting cats. I would have the AFRs checked if a hack has tuned it. Take it to somewhere reputable and for $50 they should do a power run to check AFRs.

goodluck and replace that cat ASAP :P

it is not uncommon for your cat to melt if your tuner likes to tune your car to be a bit on the safe side

this is like 11:1 under power or richer with a not so agressive ignition curve

this is good because it stops you popping your engine but it also causes a bit more heat and unburnt fuel which is what kills your cat

the only time iv ever heard of people getting fines for not having a cat is when they replace it with a straight pipe

if it looks like its there than what are they going to do....take it off on the side of the road to prove you havnt punched it

id like to see that

the only way they could catch you is if they do an emissions test and even if you fail that and they discover you have a puched cat,your not a mechanic and you didnt know that you didnt have a working cat

you will be right dont let these guys scare you

it is not uncommon for your cat to melt if your tuner likes to tune your car to be a bit on the safe side

this is like 11:1 under power or richer with a not so agressive ignition curve

i thought tuners liked to take out fuel and add ignition over stock settings to increase power, given that stock ecus run rich and retarded. if not, my stocker should've turned the cat into a molten lump by now?

Edited by GTR32

i thought tuners liked to take out fuel and add ignition over stock settings to increase power, given that stock ecus run rich and retarded. if not, my stocker should've turned the cat into a molten lump by now?

the rich/retard safety feature on the standard ecu is much richer than 11:1

and im not saying it will melt the cat down straight away, it could take week or months

its just one of those things

depends how old and what quality your cat is

excess heat and fuel will kill a cat in the end

Isnt more heat produced when your car is running lean?

If the mechanic wrecked ur cat and then removed it, i would be asking for it to be replaced free of charge. Especially if they didnt ask you first.

Running richer results in more unburnt fuel.

This fuel travels out of the turbo, down the pipe and collects in the cat.

Cat get really hot and this temperature causes the fuel to ignite inside the cat. This furthur increases the temperature causing a positive feedback mechanism inside the cat...

Modern ecu's have cat overtemp protection on them which means once they exceed a preset value the mixtures are richened as in really rich a standard GENIII will command between 11.0-11.2 for cat overtemp. There fore a leaner mixture will kill your cat quicker then a richer mixture. The thing to watch is how retarded the timing is.

Thing is shit happens, get over it and move on. Yes he should have told you before bashing it out. He really should have just removed it and run the car to make sure the cat had broken up. Anyways when your modify your car you should expect some small things to go wrong.