SAU Community

Sigsputnik's Pix From Japan (regularly Updated)

sigsputnik

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Duncan asked for restaurant pix and I have some of those for another post, but this one's worth doing now. This might be a good time to get your girlfriend, if you have one.

First, it seems dessert is popular here:

606.jpg

I don't know what the grey cream is - if anyone knows, please let us in on it.

They have a place here which is designed to satisfy any dessert/cake craving. It's called "Sweets Paradise". The idea is you hand over a fee (about AU$16) and then you get to eat as much dessert as you like for 90 minutes. This is the queue to get in:

607.jpg

Basically, there's loads of different cakes, tarts, custards, profiteroles and others rotated as fast as they can cook them out the back. Pasta and salad also, for the lightweights.

615.jpg

They have popcorn...

611.jpg

...and this is a liquid chocolate fountain. Here's how it works:

1. skewer a bit of banana, marshmallow, apple, wafer or something.

2. dip it in the chocolate.

3. roll it around in nuts or hundreds+thousands if desired

4. Consume.

5. Repeat.

614.jpg

It's very popular with the girls. There was a whole fleet of them there on the night we went. Could be part of the curriculum.

613.jpg

612.jpg

Ferrari F355

603.jpg

602.jpg

604.jpg

Lancer Evo VI.

605.jpg

Wen to an art exhibition recently about Gundam (i.e. big robot battle suits). This was the only photo we were allowed to take (these were about 7 feet tall) but you can find more photos here: Gundam Generating Future.

608.jpg

350z with some nice rims.

601.jpg

R34 with bodykit and zorst.

609.jpg

610.jpg

More pix next time. :P

Hi y'all,

More pix. :P

R34 to get the ball rolling.

703.jpg

This place lets you, essentially, muck about. You pay your cash, and you get free internet, video games, (40,000) comics, free coffee, CDs and DVD listening, massage etc etc.

704.jpg

Nissan Red Stage!. A Nissan dealership group, as far as I know.

799.jpg

Bags on show. No idea what kind of car it is. Caddy maybe?

705.jpg

706.jpg

Porsche 911 Carrera (I think?)

707.jpg

708.jpg

Of course space is an issue over here, and this goes for parking too. Here's a storage bay for taxis. Some flats and houses also make use of this kind of thing.

711.jpg

I've been meaning to get some more shots to document this phenomenon, but on Sundays in Akihabara they close the road to traffic, opening up six lanes to pedestrians. You frequently see the odd indie rock star, cosplay or advertising girls out and about.

727.jpg

701.jpg

Grabbed this shot of a gadget shop in Akihabara. If you look closely you can see those pillows shaped like a girl's lap. Suits you sir!

723.jpg

Ferrari Modena

722.jpg

This GTR sounded NOICE.

712.jpg

713.jpg

Sorry for the crappy focus on this, blame my a510. and my skill. Anyway it reminded me of the old Tamiya Sand Scorcher RC car. Ah, how I miss you Sand Scorcher.

714.jpg

Someone PM'd me asking for any R31s and that. Here's one, though I must admit they aren't common around here :O . I suspect I'll have some more photos of these in the next few weeks though.

720.jpg

721.jpg

See ya next time. :P

710.jpg

709.jpg

I'd guess the grey cream is sesame and egg whites. Also contains soy milk.

pass on that one...

nissan showrooms tend to be 'red stage' or 'blue stage' - it could be defined by what cars each group carries - but to be honest, I've never cared enough to find out

A bumper lot of pix this time.

A few days ago we visited Odaiba, which is a new area built on reclaimed land. You can ride a monorail to get out there, and the view is quite something. They have a large shopping area called VenusFort, which is targeted squarely at the girls. BUT they thought ahead and have a special attraction for the blokes. Toyota maintains a fairly fab showroom/museum out there and it is definitely worth a visit. It's all free and GREAT.

As you walk over the entry bridge, you see lots of cars running around an obstacle course. This is where you can have a ride in their experimental driverless navigation system. You can ride in, say, a Rav4 or an MR2 without touching the gas or steering as it drives around a circuit, dodging obstacles e.g. pedestrians. You will need a valid driver's licence, so don't forget that.

902.jpg

901.jpg

Then you walk in - here they're advertising a special feature on the Trueno and Levin. More on that in a sec.

912.jpg

The place is situated in a huge open area, two stories. They have an area for design, hybrid cars, the Lexus badge, current models and others.

913.jpg

914.jpg

Toyota really talks up their race knowledge, so there's a focus on JGTC and F1:

915.jpg

916.jpg

917.jpg

918.jpg

919.jpg

920.jpg

921.jpg

922.jpg

There are several games you can play, for example to test your driving reflexes etc. Here, you can sit in a hydaulic cockpit and take a Gran Turismo 4 lap around Fuji Speedway. Unfortunately you only get a JGTC Supra. No Skylines. :D

923.jpg

Eventually you get to the section on design, which is one of my pet hobbies. The purpose of this section is to show off how Toyota has changed their approach to car design. Very hands on.

949.jpg

950.jpg

951.jpg

cont'd..

About five minutes' walk away is Toyota's "History Garage". Here they have classic cars from history. The first thing you see when you walk in is the Toyota 2000GT. Sorry if these shots are a bit dark, lighting was really poor.

909.jpg

925.jpg

They have an area where you can watch classic car commercials from around the world.

926.jpg

As I said earlier, they happened to have this small special section on the Trueno and Levin, including a panda AE86 from Initial D and some drift action. Looks like they had a Drift exhibition in Odaiba at some point, not sure when.

903.jpg

927.jpg

905.jpg

906.jpg

928.jpg

908.jpg

They have two areas where you can buy car stuff: models, posters, books, some clothing. What you'd expect.

929.jpg

As you move around, you get to some of their other classic cars. Chevy Corvette:

930.jpg

DeLorean!

931.jpg

932.jpg

Ferrari 246 GTS

933.jpg

Jaguar E-type

934.jpg

Alfa Romeo Spyder

935.jpg

Subaru 360

910.jpg

911.jpg

cont'd...

Well of course by this time I was thinking there was something missing. And then I saw it:

904.jpg

939.jpg

940.jpg

937.jpg

936.jpg

938.jpg

941.jpg

Downstairs is dedicated mostly to racing and F1.

942.jpg

Not sure what this was doing there.

943.jpg

There's a cafe down here but sadly part of it was locked by the time I got there.

Celica GT4:

946.jpg

Toyota TS020 Le Mans

947.jpg

948.jpg

Messerschmitt KR175 (maybe a sign of things to come from Toyota).

944.jpg

See ya!

Sig.