SAU Community

R33: Hid Light Kit Install

damono

EDIT: Sorry guys pics didn't work at first as I had no way to check.. but they're all up now

Hey guys. This isn't a definate guide, but I just couldn't wait to put them in.

Also, im not sure if everything is 100% correct (actually I doubt it), but I put them in and they work... Also, this is for the H1 kit installed on a R33 GTST S1 Skyline, yours may not be exactly the same, but I guess the theory would be the same. This is from the Bankids group buy.

First take out the old globe assembly. The dust cover just screws off and the old globe is clipped into place. You have to make a small cut in the dust cover to push the wires and grommet out of the dust cap backwards so that it can be 'modified'. 'The Modifier' is my tool of choice, makes easy work of the plastic.

post-10683-1131848800.jpgpost-10683-1131848848.jpgpost-10683-1131848894.jpgpost-10683-1131848937.jpg

Basically we want to make room for the HID assembly and grommet attached. I used a 25mm hole saw drill bit thingy, but cut it however you want. Basically the hole must be about 25mm or 1inch if your american.

post-10683-1131848975.jpg

Be carefully with these and be sure to always wear appropriate safety equipment as shown in the picture. Once you cut the whole for the 25mm grommet, drill another hole with a 8mm or similar drill bit. It should look something similar to this after (but hopefully neater).

post-10683-1131849035.jpg

post-10683-1131849069.jpg

This is for putting the original wires into the sealed chamber where it was before.

post-10683-1131849104.jpg

Once these are pushed through and you can confirm that its pretty well air tight, crimp the old connectors to the new HID connectors, they were a bit of a different size on mine, but just make do.

I found that if your working on the wiring, the best bet is to put the HID globe back into its cannister so that it doesnt get knocked around also apparently you cant touch the glass of the new globe as it will create hotspots and decrease the life.

post-10683-1131849139.jpg

Once this is crimped, best to put a bit of electrical tape around these connections so that + doesnt touch -. If anyone has any better suggestions, do tell, but i'd say this would be the best bet. Next put the new HID globe where the old one sat previously. Screw the dust cover back on and that light is done.

post-10683-1131849174.jpg

Basically the other light is the same. I found that the drivers side is a bit harder to get to because of the washer bottle, but the air filter side (if you have a pod) is piece of piss to get to.

Once these lights are mounted, the next thing id suggest is to mount the ballasts and relay/fuse wiring. I put the relay/fuse wiring just to the drivers side of the radiator as there was a pre drilled hole so I just cable tied it to it, also it gave me enough length in the cable to stretch across to the passenger side lights.

post-10683-1131849219.jpg

The relays/fuse basically have 2 wires that connect to +12v and 2 wires that goto Ground (-). I ran my positive cables to the fuse box where i saw a + terminal screw, which I just screwed to the top of. The negative cables I just used the screw that was holding my strut brace on because it is earthed to the body.

post-10683-1131849255.jpg

I ran the relay/fuse cabling across the underside channel in front of the radiator and cable tied using existing pre drilled holes.

Make sure that you mount the balasts to the plate provided, im guessing this is because the balasts cannot be earthed, and a plastic set of grommets seperate them. I used the screws/bolts that came with the back to mount together. Then the backing/mounting plate can be mounted to your car.

post-10683-1131849281.jpg

I mounted the ballasts near the strut towers on either side, but i guess you can mount them anywhere you like as long as it doesn't interfere with anything, is pretty safe from the elements and you have enough cable to get to the lights. The drivers side again mounted to the strut brace bolt, and the passenger side to the air filter bracket (if you have a pod that is)

post-10683-1131849322.jpgpost-10683-1131849358.jpg

This is a pic showing you the difference between the light, disregard my headlights, they're faded to hell, I have to polish them tonight :huh:

post-10683-1131849384.jpg

I hope this helped some of you anyway. It's a work in progress... Let me know if I missed something or you need some clarifcation. Plus.. i headed out last night and tested them, they are bloody bright, very white light. I would definately recommend a H1 6000k set of HID's

• 3 months later...

gday mate. good DIY piece...i saw ur hav a turbosmart boost tee in ur setup... anyway u can do a diy on that? im not sure how 2 fit 1...apparently u need 2 disconnect the factory 1 etc...

cheers

Damm this is a pretty good guide.

Sounds and looks easy. Which HIDs are good?

Oh as for the polishing the light plastic how do you intend to do that? Because mine is hella fadded too.

• 2 months later...