SAU Community

Optimax Extreme (100ron + 5% Ethanol)

Zahos

Ferrari Ferrari does not recommend the use of ethanol blend petrol. E10 may be used in emergency situations.

Hmmmm ferrari know somthing and for nissan

Nissan vehicles manufactured from 1 January 2004 onwards are capable of operation on ethanol-blended fuels up to E10 (10% ethanol), providing that blending of the ethanol component to the petroleum component of the fuel has been properly made at the fuel refinery (ie there is no "splash-blending" of the fuel).

For Nissan vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 2004, Nissan Australia does not recommend the use of E10 because of drivability concerns and/or material compatibility issues.

found at http://www.fcai.com.au/ethanol.php/2004/11/00000001.html

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TECHNICAL REASONS FOR INABILITY TO USE E10

The following are reasons why certain vehicle models cannot or should not use E10 because of material incompatibility and driveability issues respectively. There are also comments on possible exhaust and evaporative emissions issues. This list was compiled from information submitted by manufacturers.

CANNOT USE BECAUSE OF MATERIAL INCOMPATIBILITY ISSUES

Early deterioration of components in fuel injection system:

Fuel tanks

Fuel lines/hoses

Injector seals

Delivery pipes

Fuel pump and regulator

Vehicles with carburettor fuel systems may experience hot fuel handling concerns and may experience a lower level of durability in some fuel system components.

Some manufacturers advise not to use E10 with any model equipped with a carburettor because of material incompatibility.

SHOULD NOT USE BECAUSE OF DRIVEABILITY ISSUES

Vapour pressure of fuel with ethanol will be greater (if not chemically adjusted) and probability of vapour lock or hot restartability problems will be increased.

Oxygen content of ethanol is 34.7%. This can cause the engine to run lean although the Engine Control Unit (ECU) can generally compensate via feedback from the O2 sensor under light throttle conditions. However, hesitation or flat-spots during acceleration can occur due to this lean-out effect.

Difficulty in starting and engine hesitation after cold start.

EXHAUST AND EVAPORATIVE EMISSION LEVELS

Lean-out resulting from the oxygenating effect of ethanol in the fuel may affect exhaust emissions.

Fuel containing ethanol can increase permeation emissions from fuel system components.

Vapour pressure of fuel with ethanol will be greater (if not chemically adjusted at the refining stage) and can lead to increased evaporative emissions.

Only problem is we're not talking about E10. This is only a 5% mix which is half of that.

You should not run E10 in your skyline because it is not a 98 ron fuel.

The only fuels you should ever be running are Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate. Don't even worry about the E10.

You should not run E10 in your skyline because it is not a 98 ron fuel.

Not quite true - can get 'Boost98' here in Adelaide, 98ron with 10% Ethanol. Tried half tank of boost98 with half tank of BP Ultimate, seemed ok. 'Felt' different though........

To start with, I've been running on Optimax 98 for the last 5 years so I know what my car is like under all conditions with that fuel. Also, I run a pretty rich A/F mixture normally ( if that means anything in this comparison ).

Well, I chucked 20L of OE100 in yesterday early arvo and have since put 60km on the car. First thing I noticed was a slightly different smell from the exhaust and after about the first 10 km's it started idling a bit better. I've since opened her up and gone for it ( paying carefull attention to any pinging etc ) and it goes as well ( if not a little better ) than it has in the past. So......I think I'll continue to roll with the new Extreme 100 for a while and see what happens :P

B.T.W. RB20DET w/ Arias Forgies, 550cc injectors, HKSGT2535, Chipped ECU, 1.2bar boost.

cc, it is the fuel companies that have been using their contacts for years to keep competition from ethanol away....I bet the combined fuel companies have more political clout than some cane farmers

Good point .. for all my counter counter counter culturing I forgot to think about that - looks like I'm a pleb afterall.

Having said that cane farmers have never been a fan of the liberals, and the nationals have been a coalition limp dick for a long time... and that guy who owns the ethanol plant is one of the biggest donators.. and him and howard have met numerous times... I don't know I suppose anything is possible but I'm inclined to believe Howard and mates are at it again.

hang on, its more expensive because Shell are selling it as a premium fuel.

it has nothing to do with the price of ethanol or govt taxes.

the point about ethanol is that it is cheaper than petrol.  It is up to shell how they use it from there.

I haven't used it yet, but fully intend to.  I think the ethanol issue is being *way* overplayed in this thread.....it is 1/20th of what you are buying = bugger all.

It seems that fact that shell have oxygenated the fuel is having a much bigger impact than the ethanol content.

*edit* yes it is shell not BP :P

Ethanol is more expensive to sell in Australia because the government whacks the fuel tax on it. If the government really believed in the globalist ideal of unilateral free trade Brasilian ethanol would be the place to get it from - this is also substantially cheaper than Australian ethanol (so much so the government tariffs it till it's uneconomical to buy).

Also - will you be doing anything to your fuel systems to run it or is that all silicone/braided stuff anyway?

I may try a tank for a track day where the octane rating will protect when pushing the car constantly, but also where it will be used in one go as opposed to sitting in my fuel lines for a week.

I filled up with the optimax extreme and my gtr has been running awesome, after filling up a drove it home and in the morning reset the ecu and let it remap.... and it hasnt run this well in ages, seems to pull harder accelerate smoother.... its been really good!! just my 2cents, and also i seam to be using less fuel than usuall, so im all for it!!!

I tried it today on my 33 gtst, was a little hard to start first go, and then hunted around for a while before it idled. It has since been rock solid and starts perfectly. In terms of performance it feels quite responsive, especially throughout the midrange, but I could never be certain without chucking it on a dyno.

I wasn't too concerned about running lean as I have a rom tune that is rich with advanced timing... (I couldn't hear any pinging today) but I do believe it leaned the ratios a little as I am now sans most of the crackles and pops that come from the exhaust.

I also found it quite amusing that there was a shell rep waiting at the bowsers, handing out brochures for OE100 to everyone, and telling them that this "wonderful new fuel will clean their fuel systems"

I have used both Boost98 from Liberty with 10% ethanol and Optimax Extreme 100 with 5% ethanol.Car ran great with both,couldnt pick a difference.I'll probably stay with Boost98 because it is available at far more Service stations,is about 12c a litre cheaper than Extreme and a good power gain has been documented.If Extreme proves to be a better fuel,I will change as long as it is available at more outlets,I get 3 tanks of petrol a week,cant be hunting around all day,as there are no outlets near home or my office.

I filled up with Optimax Extreme to give it a try, and did not have any problems at all so far. Be it starting, idling, hard acceleration, normal driving. I have a remapped stock ecu(done in japan).

Generally i find it smoother, better throttle response and im able to move up the rpm range with lesser effort on the part of my foot. No knocking so far.

Just my experience with it so far.

E10 melted my injectors on my old R31. after the second tank the car was having issues with leakng fuel down the block i assume when the R33's and R32's get a little older they may face the same issues

Nah, that would just be the most common problem that the RB30 motors had. Leaking injectors and injector hoses.

I haven't read all the post about this stuff ( so this will prol sound real stupid ) but does Ethanol have anything to do with Sugar Cane ? When I was filling the tank I could smell something that I couldn't identify until yesterday arvo and I'd swear the smell is Sugar Cane !!

BTW, drove in this morning ( cool temps ) and the car went like a rocket !! It seems to like the taste of OE100 :)

I filled up with Optimax Extreme today, and did not have any problems at all so far. My engine is a RB25DE with stock ecu.

I find it smoother, better throttle response and im able to move up the rpm range with lesser effort on the part of my foot. No knocking so far.

I've run 2 tanks through the GTR since I discovered it..

I've noticed the following difference in the cars performance changing from optimax/bp ultimate:

Keep in mind my car was already running very rich on 98 RON fuels.

- no more popping! the car does not pop at all anymore. previously it was running quite rich and popping about once per gear change

- the car is a lot smoother

- the engine is more quiet

- the car pulls a lot better

Cheers.