SAU Community

Operation Drag Right

funkymonkey

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=2132

Police launch safer alternative for hoon drivers

Wed 16 November 2005

Victoria Police today officially launched its new community motor sport program, Operation Drag Right, at Calder Park.

Inspector Tim Peperkamp said the program, the second of its kind to run in Victoria, creates an alternative to racing illegally on public roads.

“With the ‘hoon’ legislation on its way, Operation Drag Right creates a safe and competitive environment in which to race against police and other drivers,” he said.

“The previous motor sport event run by Victoria Police was quite successful in fostering community relationships and reducing the instances of illegal street racing on public roads.”

Venue scrutineers will be present at all races to conduct safety assessments on all participating vehicles and ensure drivers are fully licensed.

Safe drag racing programs were initially introduced by police in the United States of America, and following the inception, instances of illegal street racing fell.

Programs similar to Operation Drag Right have been administered in Canberra, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australia, and Tasmania is currently considering introducing the initiative.

Inspector Peperkamp said he expects the program to travel throughout the state to Bairnsdale, Ballarat, Mildura and Yarrawonga in the near future. A suitable racetrack is currently being developed in Colac, and other interested parties are encouraged to contact the Broadmeadows police station.

The first Operation Drag Right event will be held at Calder Park from 5pm on Friday 18 November.

Michelle Alexander

Media Officer

It's about time the police came out and agreed that Track racing/dragging is acceptable.. Lets just hope for those of us who do attend Calder and are fortunate enough to line up against a police car (James are you willing to line up the Lada??) that you can actually beat them.. Just remember to take the number plates off before hand as I’m sure they will keep a keen look out for you if you do...

Lets also hope this does reduce street dragging and is as effective as it's implemented to be.

Good to see the cops on our side...

until you leave the venue and 10km's down the road on the calder they

1) hear you - EPA

2) see you - Canary + EPA

Simply put - bullsh|t media to win a few more minority votes.

Bracksie knows that with the IR reforms that he will stay in office when he should be outsed for all the traffic and related laws and abuse towards revenue raising thats gone on.

The IR fiasco is his ticket to another session in office. OPPOSE THE LEBO

heheehe

they need Legal ON STREET drags like the do in NZ...

block off a section of road in the industrial areas on a weekend and hold drag events... awesome to go watch cause ur so close to the action and its generally stuff all cost wise to enter

Although watching the SS on the news Fully ripping up the back wheels on the strip was kewl as... Not all that often you see a fully decked out cop car ripping them up...

lets hope they do the right thing and don’t use it to their advantage to book people.. if they do it will just have the opposite affect people wont go to calder and street dragging will increase...

i still say they should do it the kiwi way...

block off cochranes road moorabbin.... barriers along the sides... no times... just the first to the other end

lol nah run it in the opposite direction like they do the illegals... that way u have an up hill to slow down... doesnt even have to be a qtr mile... people wont care.

i owned some chick in a Civic lol i turned onto cochring not know there were drags on and me and some old due and his wife in a honda CRV got stuck there while there were hundreds of cars... i was in my car and couldnt reverse cause other ricers were behind us as soon as we turned.

the dude in the CRV ended up racing some tool in a gemini and owned him hahahahaha then i owned the chick in the civic and kept on driving all the wya home haha had no choice... cracked me up when the CRV guy gave it a go.

still dont condone it.