SAU Community

Skyline handling in wet

DJ_L3ThAL

Haha, a GST-t box in my car that'd make it RWD (not that it's possible) and make it undriveable in the wet. Then I'll have to suffer from boost problems like all you GTS-t owners.

I stripped 2nd gear coming into boost at about 5000rpms. Yes ladies and gents too much power. This was sometime last year close to it's current state of tune. Running 1.4bar (20psi). The gearbox is a weak link, but nothing a 1/2 dog box wont fix. Which is in my list of things to purchase. Then I'll be shifting from 1st to 2nd without the clutch. Will be fun (wet weather or dry weather :wave: )

And if you think I'm talking crap about to power remark, just ask Ula who spanks his R32 GTR. Btw, Ula, you're a poof :) (Canadian at that!)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by poyz

I stripped 2nd gear coming into boost at about 5000rpms. Yes ladies and gents too much power.

5000rpm F#*%K me! what turbo u runnin a T188? she's leaving it a bit late to reach peak....what do u do b4 u reach 5000rpm? have a cup of coffee?:)

dog box... just wack it hard to next gear :)

poyz: as russell crowe says on the 'russell crowe show', 'why don't you choke on some pig vomit you sods!' :P lol

as for the too much power thing... poyz' only got 154kw @4 from 2 years ago.... its not that much! lol. tee hee :)

Originally posted by poyz

Does your car have abs?

If so, has it ever saved your ass in the wet?

If so, learn to brake properly and pump the pedal rather than jamming it.

Get my point?

Besides, I'm sure 4wd drivers will agree with me here. Boosting in the wet is hella fun when all 4 wheels light up.

Pumping your brake pedal in a car with ABS??? That's a BIG no no...

Unless your feet can pump faster than 80 cycles per second,

DO NOT ever pump the brake on ABS cars.

ABS car: press brake firmly, as soon as you hear your tyres start

to lock up and feel the ABS working (pulsating sensation under your feet), keep the pressure on, do not add, do not lift off.

The computer will calculate the optimum amount of power for shortest stopping distance.

Non ABS car: press brake firmly, as soon as you hear your tyres start locking up, reduce feet pressure about 5 or 6mm, and hold.

Pressing up more will only lock up ur tyres and slide your car further. Lifting up too much will make you loose brake pressure and not stopping as quick. From what I learned, you don't need to pump the brakes, just lift off a tad, but still you need practice to know where's your brake sweet spot is (the moment it's gonna lock up your wheel)

You're welcome to argue and deny those methods above, but it's been taught in Advance Driving Courses and I have proven it myself. In my car (with ABS), using ABS method above is better than slamming the brake pedal dead, and lifting off or pumping is a very bad braking method (unless your brain is made of Pentium 4 microchip).

my cpu is a neural net processor, a learning computer... :)

Originally posted by rs73

...(unless your brain is made of Pentium 4 microchip).

i prefer abs too. lets the computer do all the work for me so i can concentrate on dodging whats up ahead until i stop.

I dont think the initial problem of sliding in the wet is due to braking. I mean i think every sensible driver knows to brake before hitting a corner.

My problem is that the cars butt goes way out everytime i take a curb at 40 ks or so when it has just rained.

My car is only a GTS (i cant afford to upgrade). I think i need better wheels, but dont want to spend money for nothing.

I guess i just have to live with it until i win the lottery or something :)

Originally posted by DJ_L3ThAL

would my 95 gtst r33 have ABS ?

pop the bonnet and look on the passenger side right near the fire wall, if u have abs there will be a metal unit there with thin metal pipes snaking around, and it will have abs written on it also!

so i can't change gears without a clutch in my little nissan pulsar?

yes take it to redline and just slam it into the next gear without taking your foot off the accelerator!!

(If u find your transmission on the ground after a few attempts dont blame me!!) :)

SKYLNR...the turbo is a GT2530. It builts boost at about 1200-1500rpm (ie positive pressure). Gets going at 3000. The party starts at 4500 to 7000. Flattens out at to redline at 7500.

RS73...worded incorrectly, I meant to say if he didn't have ABS then you should pump it, otherwise just stomp the pedal hard and don't let go until you stop.

SS8_Gohan (great name, I'm a fan of DBZ). A dog box allows you to change gears without a clutch (without doing considerable damage to syncros - since they don't have any). For example, a quick shift into second without a dog box can be performed like this. Give it hell in 1st, 'pre-load' the shifter by putting very light force as if you were about to go into second. As you approach red-line or rev limiter release the go-fast-pedal. Slam into second without clutch. Stomp go-fast-pedal.

Sure enough you can do this with a synchro box but you'd have to be careful and rev match correctly, otherwise you're just wearing out your sync's

Ula...my 156kw@4wheels two years ago is just that, two years ago. Hell, it was good enough to do a 13.1 @ 104mph down Calder and numerous 0-100 runs in 4.7 seconds with a gearbox safe launch :mad:

take my little pulsar too red-line?? i....... don't think i'll do that (1.6ltr, 4) it doesn't have a rev meter and i think it sounds like she's struggling at about 3500-4000rpm :lol: , so i don't push her harder. I think i might just wait until i get a decent car till i try these sorts of things :P

EDIT: DBZ rocks!!! i think i just saw the very last episode. Won't say what it is if u or other ppl haven't got thru it yet but it's ep 272. Oh yeah, thread.... my car is REALLY dangerous in the wet. 14 or 15inch hub-caps, tyre width of about an inch and soft suspension. 20km/h, que rear wheel shudder, 30km/h turn que good bye back end, only thing i got going for me is it's a RWD. But it's fun to drive tho. Just gotta change to 2nd after about 20km/h :lol:

Don't worry about it, if you go too far I'm sure the smart nissan engineers have included a fuel cut. If not, then you can push the car home :P

Otherwise, you can go "ful sic bro" and install an 5" autometer tacho. Then you'll never miss a shift!

I think I've seen 272...I'll check my 2+ gig collection of episodes.

Originally posted by SS8_Gohan

take my little pulsar too red-line??  i....... don't think i'll do that (1.6ltr, 4) it doesn't have a rev meter and i think it sounds like she's struggling at about 3500-4000rpm :lol: , so i don't push her harder. I think i might just wait until i get a decent car till i try these sorts of things :P

EDIT: DBZ rocks!!! i think i just saw the very last episode. Won't say what it is if u or other ppl haven't got thru it yet but it's ep 272. Oh  yeah, thread.... my car is REALLY dangerous in the wet. 14 or 15inch hub-caps, tyre width of about an inch and soft suspension. 20km/h, que rear wheel shudder, 30km/h turn que good bye back end, only thing i got going for me is it's a RWD. But it's fun to drive tho. Just gotta change to 2nd after about 20km/h :lol:

nah ss8 gohan

the pulsar is cools

i love thrasing my dads pulsar q 4door hatch

its a 1.8l and i floor it 1st gear all the way to redline which is 6000rpm

lol once i get to that i hear this clanging sound in the engine haha

pulsar is mad, i get so much wheelspin