SAU Community

Skyline handling in wet

DJ_L3ThAL

hi guys

had my first bad experience when it rained in melb yesterday, was taking a standard turn around and roundabout at about 40km/h (not accelerating) and the back end totally drifted and almost put me off the road, lucky i was taught how to correct shit like that but anyways i was extremely surprised how easily it lost tracktion, i think its probbaly i have shitty tyres, they came on the car and are brand new but i dont think they had the fact that it rains in the world when they designed them as it doesnt seem to hold at all in the wet, is this a common skyline problem or just my tyres ? if so what tyres would you guys recommend, im a newbie driver and i dont do anything stupid,i'd just like to be able to not hold up traffic going half the speed limit when it rains :) i wanna be able to trust my car in the wet if yas know what i mean

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd definitely take a look at your tyres there! It should be doing it at that speed without any acceleration.

It can also be about clutch control..you have to be a lot easier in the wet and let the revs out slowly. Can be hard with a very in/out clutch but it can be done. I'm still learning mine a bit after a couple of months.

poor guys with only 2 wheels driving your cars

Well it makes us learn how to drive properly! The amount of WRX that get invovled in accidents because they shove it around corners in the dry at xxx speed, and then when it rains - slide.. "oh it never did _this_ in the dry..what do i do"...crunch!

my tyres are absolute shit... i take off from the lights in second gear and they spin and my clutch control isnt the issue and u can forget 1st gear launches... i took a corner with no feet on any pedals at about 30kmh and it slid out and i ended up in the other lane (my ass end did). this corner is something u should be able to take at at least 50 in the wet its not sharp by any stretch of the imagination

my tyres are ultra grippy in the dry... but as soon as it rains... they may as well be made of ice.

I think all skylines are subject to slipping in the wet. I have almost had about 3 or 4 accidents when i first started driving the line.

I dont think its the wheels. I did a little test with them. I took the wheels off my bros car, which is a V8 and put them on mine, and the car kept on sliding on tight curves at about 30 ks.

I tried my brothers car and it stuck to the ground at about 45 ks.

Does your car have abs?

If so, has it ever saved your ass in the wet?

If so, learn to brake properly and pump the pedal rather than jamming it.

Get my point?

Besides, I'm sure 4wd drivers will agree with me here. Boosting in the wet is hella fun when all 4 wheels light up.

Originally posted by predator666

Well it makes us learn how to drive properly! The amount of WRX that get invovled in accidents because they shove it around corners in the dry at xxx speed, and then when it rains - slide.. "oh it never did _this_ in the dry..what do i do"...crunch!

Originally posted by poyz

real men with money drive 4wd skylines (of the gtr variety)

real men who are poor can't afford 4wd skylines.

well that explains why u drive a GTI-R not a GTR bro....and Gtr skylines aren't technically full time 4wd if u wanna get into details atessa baby rear wheel biased :rolleyes:

That's funny, last I checked this thread was about driving 'Line's in the wet.

Now, consider this scenario. A GTR driver boosts it in the wet. Looses traction. Fronts wheels kick in right. Effectively making them 4wd.

GTS-t driver boosts it in the wet. Goes sideways and hopefully kills himself because he's an idiot and knows his car will obviously loose traction.

So, all in all. Yes, I know they're rear biased. But this is wet weather driving in a Line. They front wheels will obviously get torque transfered to them.

As for me, I enjoy boosting it in all types of weather.

One more thing.

If I wanted a skyline I would have got one. Even over two years ago when I got my car these GTS-t's were about as common as a Commodore/Falcon around Melb. And over two years ago, I couldn't afford a GTR, I was still studying.