SAU Community

R33 With An Ls1

duff

Looking for a cheap reliable race car. this will be a dedicated race car. what are people opinions about this set up. Im not wanting to be competitive just have fun. Looking to enter hill climbs, super sprints etc. No door to door racing atm. I just sold my r33 GTR and cost me quite a bit in repairs. i Just want to start getting in the sport and not be always worried about breaking the car. My thinking is that if i stay away from forced induction, then there would be less things to go wrong. Less pressure on the motor. with an LS1 its easier to fix.

Weight will probably be lighter as well, with loads of torque. with bolt on mods could easily achieve a reliable 400hp. Don't factor in conversion costs of the V8.

There used to be a v8 r32 getting around but I am pretty sure it was sold on and not sure where it got to. It had a solid 300kw, was very set up and went nicely.

And if you want to save some money on the idea MBS026 on these forums has a half finished one you could probably look at starting with

Good luck cheap and race car don't go togeather..... Unless you and spanner yourself.

Have you ever tracked or raced a car before? If not try something under powered and good handling. I started in a stock mx5, best bang for buck track car bar none. Your mate will hang s#it on you till you beat them...

Skylines are big heavy and handle like a turd... But bucket loads of fun on the track.... Can't see a v8 one been cheap... The weapon of choice these days seem to be evos. Go well, sound and look like s#it. I.M.O.

Give me a RB on boost any day....

• Like 1

i know i sound like a knob but the car already has the ls1 in it and the car is cheap. Ive been traking my GTR for 3 years, going to track day events, now i want to start getting into some competition events. Alot of the cars i have been around, many of the issues are to do with the turbo/intercooler/boost. so my thinking is the less you have, the more reliable its going to be. When i say cheap its all realative i guess. looking around the 10-20 grand.

There is undeniably some merit in the idea.

With some thought and attention to detail, an LS / R chassis marriage could work, with better weight distribution and the same sort of power output (if different delivery) as something with the RB engine.

If you don't care what people who don't know any better have to say, then an MX5 is top of the tree. And if you want to go fast, then an Evo is the pick.

I love the LS engines, and I agree that an LS R33 could be a good thing. Just be aware that you might limit your choices in competition, as most categories wont allow this type of engine swap, unless you're in the open class against sports sedans.

+1 on a cheap, fun track car. Because nobody has said it yet, I'm going to chime in with my usual EK / EG Civic or DC2 Integra. Barrels of fun (very neutral handling despite what the uneducated anti FWD keyboard warriors say) and reasonable power to weight. If you want to spend a few extra $$ you can pick up a K swapped Civic / Integra which gives you the potential for a reliable 200-250 HP at the wheels. Plenty for a FWD buzzbox that weighs nothing.

Remember, the easiest way to gain speed is to lose weight (the car, not you). Start with something light and well balanced and you don't have to go nuts with mods to get a fun, quick car.

• Like 1

i know i sound like a knob but the car already has the ls1 in it and the car is cheap. Ive been traking my GTR for 3 years, going to track day events, now i want to start getting into some competition events. Alot of the cars i have been around, many of the issues are to do with the turbo/intercooler/boost. so my thinking is the less you have, the more reliable its going to be. When i say cheap its all realative i guess. looking around the 10-20 grand.

You don't sound like a knob.... Tracking a GTR R33 must of made your wallet bleed.

i don't mind spending the money but once your afraid of driving the car hard because you don't want anything to break is not my idea of fun. at the top of the list for me is a s14. Reason why iOS that i really like circuit racing but want to try and learn how to drift as well

When i say cheap its all realative i guess. looking around the 10-20 grand.

Add 5 grand to your budget and you can own my GTS-T. Very reliable,,,conservative power and well built.

Cheers

Neil.

^ shows an LS fits but how much is it extended past straight lining?

Credit to the owner, and a good looking unit should be fun but would struggle to match an Evo or MX5 anywhere there's bends. Warps also makes valid points about the Honda platforms.

An R chassis / LS combination would be a hoot to drive and a real talking point, but I figure the others easier to set up due to collective knowledge on the things.

All that said, if I was to re-power my 33, it would get an LS...

From someone who has a half built LS1 into an R33 for track purposes, you really need to listen to Warps. You will instantly limit your choices of what/where you can enter to race.

You end up in sports sedans if under CAMS, or in the full on open categorys under anything else. From memory with drifting they've else banned engine swaps from different manufacturers.

That being said, they look great, and sound spastic. If I remember correctly, before the suspension was fully sorted on Stu's R32 LS1 he gave the keys to someone and it went a 1:02 or 1:03 around Wakefield.