SAU Community

Where To Mount My Amp

heslo

Hey guys, got my R33 about a month ago now and I'm so happy with the car, I just LOVE it. Problem is I got an amp and have NO idea where I should mount it in the back. I've seen all these pictures with peoples exotic setups and while I'd love to do that I just don't have the time at the moment. So if anyone has some ideas as to the best placement that I can have at the moment, by all means, let me know :mellow:

Thanks

You could try doing it the way i've done it, using stainless sheetmetal.

The Partition covers everything up and keeps everything neat.

amp_resized.jpg

DSCF0286.JPG

Then you could mount your sub here using velcro so everything can be taken out for more space:

Sub.JPG

Dezz, yeah mate, got a sub in the back too, that actually sounds like a pretty decent idea, then I just have to get some angle brackets or something similar to keep the sub+amp from moving around in the back.

On the other hand, that looks quite a nice setup MintR33, seems pretty simple to do also but I may have the problem that my amp is too long to fit in the way that you have it, I'm not 100% sure but will check that tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the ideas fellas, I'll have a poke around tomorrow (got a day off!!! :rofl:) and see what eventuates

Heh.. my amp won't fit in there either. I have an idea which i'll be acting out soon, and if it works, I should be able to pass on measurements as a quick guide.

I have my amp mounted in the boot.

A MDF board was made up where the plastic divider (part that divides the boot and the battery).

AMP was attatched to the board, mounted vertically.

Randy, I'd like that if you could pass it on, but how long will it take before you let me know about your idea?

Well actually it's what d00dz has done. I'm measuring up all the sides of that partition, and working out a way to secure the mdf. My other problem is that my 12" Sony sub won't fit where I want it.

I was going to have the amp mounted to the left side, and the sub on the right, with the magnet of the sub poking into the empty space next to the battery. It's too big and doesn't clear my strut-brace.

d00dz... would you mind posting up a picture of your install and explaining how you mounted the mdf to the car? I'm looking for a way that doesn't involve drilling new holes in the boot.

Cheers!

Sorry mate, ive been flat out at work and comming home really late.. and no time/sun to take some pics.. Will try and do so in the next few days or so.

Basically its attatched to some L shaped brackets, the MDF board thingy that is. The L is attached to the metal beneath/behind the plastic divider.

d00dz... I figured as much. I was looking at a way where I can reuse the brackets that hold the plastic cover in place. They don't feel strong enough to hold thick MDF, a heavy amp, and a 12 or 10" sub.

I want it to be very removeable too, so that means minimum tools to get to the battery and service cover.

Can't wait to see your install! Maybe instead of a "how much money did you spend on audio stuff" thread, we should start a "post pics of your custom install" thread? =-D

hehe, mines nothing special.. its actually pretty gay IMO. not at all a good setup..

JVC mp3 unit from my old car

6" front and rears

Jaycar 4x130W amp (awesome and cheap one)

SONY sub (cost 50$ from a dude who only used it in his appartment).

Yea the MDF i have now is pretty hard to get to. Well two screws on either side of the bracket.

Im still not home, reckon wont get to take pics untill maybe tommorrow at 7, if the light is good... or ill just use my flash..

ill see... sorry for keeping you. ;)

Hey no drama's... i'm still sussing the situation out. If I can mount the MDF and I DIDN'T have a rear strut-brace, i'd be set cause my 12" would fit perfectly.

I'm looking at 10" subs now, to see if they'll clear the strut brace. Still looking around to see what mounting points I can use, then I'll write up a guide as I build mine.

Made my own parcel shelf too... looks so damn good that you would NEVER pick that it's stock apart from the big bolt-heads and washers where the child restrains were.

Surely you run the power cables through the other side of the boot lining? It looks too visible through that hole, but otherwise the plank of MDF looks good where it is! I was going to do that with the sub on one side and the amp on the other, but I couldn't see how to mount the MDF securely. Any chance of pics of the actual mounting?

I did that in my first car... moving the seat back and forth was a biatch.

My current and future amps are too large to go under there, plus it'd impede the airflow from the A/C vents under the seat, and then there's the wiring for the belt-buckle that would get in the way. =-]