SAU Community

Speedo No Go HELP PLEASE

Well its probably because I took it off the dial once too often but my speedo is not working.

I have pulled the pickup out of the gearbox and replaced it but still no go.

I have removed the dash and when I drive the little plastic thing that goes into the back of the dash still spins and also spins under load (me pushing my finger onto it)

I have no idea what is wrong with it can anyone shed some light on this problem. Has anyone else had the same problem?

BACKGROUND

"When I was at the drags the other night I did a burnout and got a lot of axel tramp, it was very violent and shook the entire car. After that the speedo didn't work and my HICAS light came on and I lost my power steering."

Check if you can pull the tip of the speedo cable (that goes into the instrument cluster) out of the sheathing - that means its broken, and needs to be replaced.

I broke mine once when putting the instruments back in. It work for a while, but eventually gave up.

OK, what I can do is when I remove the speedo console I can also remove the plastic bit inside the end of the sppedo cable. There is a small square plastic bit (like a match stick) and another plastic bit the this fits inside and a spring.....Should all of this be able to come out? If not, what do I need to fix it and where did you get yours from.

Thanks Cam

Originally posted by BOOSTMEISTER

Which bit did you have to replace?

The whole cable.

I tried getting a new inner from the local instrument shop, but they are a sealed unit - only way to replace is with another cable.

Thanks blind_elk I will see how the ereplacement cable goes from Japtaxi, hopefully it will fix the problem.....I imagein it is going to be a nightmare to install...

So, next problem, my HICAS light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving and I loose my power steering, sometimes it happens in the reverse order....I can't find the fuse for HICAS does anyone know where it is? or what could be causing this

Recon it will be related to your non-working speedo...HICAS needs vehicle speed to work, so I'm guessing it throws up an error. I'd sit tight until the speedo is working again, and then if it plays up still, try a diagnostic on the HICAS or visit a friendly Nissan dealer with a Consult unit...(though normally they look like donald duck with dollar signs for eyes when you say the magic words "could you plug your consult unit into my car please?")

Cheers,

GW

replacement cable? I thought you were after the speedo instrument ... doh sorry I'v only got the instrument not the speedo sensor+cable etc.. :D Let me know if you want the speedo instrument as I'm getting lost in all these jargons ... :(

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

My speedo just died today. Needle not moving, and the numbers are not running. The revs meter still works though. Then after about 5 mins of driving, the HICAS light turns on and the steering wheel becomes stiffer. Sometimes, steering wheel gets stiff then HICAS light turns on.

You guys reckon it's the same problem mentioned in the previous postings?