SAU Community

Rb25/30 Engine Build

shanef

Hi all,

Well I’m in the process of building a new engine for my R33. Now the engine that’s going into it is an rb30 bottom end with an rb25na head. I’m after a high power engine, round the 500rwkw mark.

What I’m after is some help with whats needed to bring this whole project together and to be done right. (block wise)

Parts are as follows:

RB30T bottom end (series 2, ie with oil squirters)

Acid Wash block

Balance & Blueprint block

Linish & Balance crank

Hone – 20 thou

CP Pistons – 20 thou over

REV I-Beam rods

ACL bearings: Main & Big End

ARP Headstud kit

TOMEI 1.2mm, 1.5mm or 1.8mm head gasket (not sure on which one)

RB25 na head

This is the part in which I haven’t had much thought/researched much into, so I’m after some helpful ideas and hints as to what I should do. Thinking maybe getting Sure Cams to grind up some custom cams.

Turbo running this weapon will be a Garrett T04Z with 0.84 exhaust.

Thanks in advance guys.

Shane

Well just in parts (the ones listed) and none of the block preparation I’ve been quoted $5850 delivered.

But then there’s the cost of the head, little machining, valves, retainers, cams, cam gears, N1 oil pump, N1 water pump and then the custom twin plate clutch (or similar) and engine management.

I’ve ruled out using Motec, so currently looking into Haltec and Microtec. (theres another $2000 easy)

Well just in parts (the ones listed) and none of the block preparation I’ve been quoted $5850 delivered.

But then there’s the cost of the head, little machining, valves, retainers, cams, cam gears, N1 oil pump, N1 water pump and then the custom twin plate clutch (or similar) and engine management.

I’ve ruled out using Motec, so currently looking into Haltec and Microtec. (theres another $2000 easy)

So all up not far off $10000?plus what youve allready spent on the car, still not a bad price for a car with that much power!

I’d be more inclined to say its gonna cost closer to $15 000 lol, but hey, lets not hope it comes to that.

So does anyone have any thoughts they wish to put forward? As sirskyline said this could become a good thread for parts/setup specific other than the massive rb30 thread going, making it easier to decipher and get the “good” info straight out.

Also I’ll update this as I find out more.

$15,000 is getting closer to the mark, but still more i reckon for a reliable setup

pistons $1200

rods $1800-$2000

turbo/dump/exhaust $3000

manifold $1400

I/C - $800/$1000

Fuel/igniton system - $2500

Plus all the head work, which is into the $4000 region with all the porting, cams, upgraded head (everything in it)

Realistically your @ the 10k mark just there.

Add in:

ECU $2000

Tuning $1000

Driveline $2500 (inclu diff, clutch/flywheel)

Suspension $2000

Then all the assembly an labour costs, pumps, pulleys, belts etc etc (as the list is long) which i cant quote on as workshops vary greatly, but it isnt gonna be any less than $2500.

I would evisage somewhere around the $20,000 to be a more accurate estimation, maybe even more.

Obviously some of the above you already have. Some you dont, and some might not realistically be upto the task.

500rwkw i dont think the T04Z will do on PULP, 450rwkw has been done...

The extra 50rwkw is really asking a lot of the setup which @ 500rwkw is approx 630kw @ the fly (or 850hp)

Hope this is informative, good luck as it wont be cheap.

As a guide it cost me $12,000 to get 330rwkw :D

Im kind of in the same boat as you mate. Im building up an engine rb25/30, that will be using a gt3540 (1.06 rear) but i want it to be able to handle 500rwkw if i decide to go stupid one day and whack on a bigger turbo! The engines already built but is pretty standard apart from the wiseco pistons, HE sump, and head studs. So its being pulled apart to put in some argo rods, better oil and water pump (N1), and i dont know much about what else is needed? The only thing im unsure of is bearing studs? I think ive got everything else covered.

Alrighty guys and girls. Seeing as though we have come to the conclusion it's gonna cost in the vacinity of $20 000+, can we start to post up some technical hints.

I know sydneykid has a few tips he just wants to tell us :P:)

Fuel system wise you'd be looking at twin entry rails, 2 pumps, surge and a good reg... stock reg bit iffy at that level

Fuel is very important at those levels, one miss and the engine is gone.

ECU, what features do you want?

Whats the use of the car?

There are a lot of head/cooling mods you'll need to do. Contact a workshop for that, they all have different ways

Do you realistically have 20+k to blow in under 6 months?

I think there are things one can yourselves or might already have and be able to reuse.

eg. ECU, I/C, Fuel/Ignition, diff, flywheel, clutch (reuse)

I'll be putting it together myself, making the new dump pipes + sourcing and installing all misc. parts.

Price can very quickly be reduced if you can reuse parts from your current setup and attempt some of the work yourselves.

im hoping to only spend about $6000 and reach 400rwkw using

CP Pistons + rings

Eagle Rods (big maybe here, could just prep std rb30)

ACL bearings

ARP studs

Prep Block

balance Crank

new oem water & oil pump RB25

Clean up / port matched head with gtr springs

Gasket set

labour of assembly all on my own.

dont forget jun oil pump and a decent water pump (n1) on those prices from r31 nismoid, i reckon 15k doesnt get ya far when u add up all the bits u dont even think about! i mean ive spent atleast 3-4k on little silicone hose, braided line, nuts/bolts, etc etc...

i did all the labour myself and sourced all parts and its very pricey even without billet crank, etc.

20k should be enough for a good reliable setup and worst thing is to skimp on the important bits and later on it can cost the whole engine.

happy building, its a slow/anxious process ;)

hmm well so far for me.

$900 for an rb25det complete head

$4200 for a complete rebuilt (CP forged pistons, arp head studs, oil feeds/VCT line tapped in, manifolds acid dipped/turbo fitted, the lot).

$927 for a powerFC

estimate a new turbo and 6boost custom manifold will be ~$4000 (GT42/45)

jdcustom plenum $700

fuel system $1000 i guess (already got one 044).

gearbox - $3500

so that's around about 15 grand, probably not 500kw worth, but definatly wouldn't be shy. ;)

If I could find myself an R33 loom i'd be in business, but after 4 months of searching and searching..... starting to get very annoyed!

Threads starting to come together nicely :(.

Ecu wise I’m going MOTEC, probably M600 with a few options.

Fueling and ignition I’m looking into what MOTEC can supply.

Price will be massive, if you buy everything retail and get a workshop to do the work for u. RAAF workshop here I come :P

Platinum u can have my loom, i'll be ripping it all out and replacing it all, to coinside with the MOTEC. Give me a hoy if ur interested :P

1.) why would you need 500+rwkw?

2.) why would you use a shitty 25 de head when you can use the much better 26 dett head

3.) since when did ANY rb30 blocks have piston oil squirters.

4.) why would you use the stock crank when chasing around 850hp?

Make sure you post in the "how much is too much power" thread.

you have a rwd skyline.

you have not said what you want to do with this car with 500rwkw.. anything other than drag racing would be a waste of tyres on the damn thing.

you won't be able to do circuit racing and use that power.

v8 super cars or the bathurst GTR for that matter have/had about 650hp

BU5TER now running 10 something has less power than 500rwkw from what I can remember.

I doubt a 0.84 rear T04Z will give you that power.

I doubt a stock RB25 gear box will handle that power.

I doubt stock diff will handle it for long.

I might just sound like an old man, but what the hell could you possibly need 500rwkw in a RWD 1350kg car?

*waits for "pull mad skidz" comments*

1)no body “needs” this much power, I was just throwing a figure out there to what It may produce.

2)How much of a difference will the 26 head make? I mean the 25 head will have extensive machining and for the price of 26 head would it be viable to purchase the 26 knowing it will have to be machined aswell.

3) The series 2 vl Calais blocks have oil squirters.

4) I’ve made inquiries into this and been told that with just a linish and it balanced it should be no problems in hoolding this much power.

Pretty sure i said this but, car will be mainly set up for drags but can be semi set-up for the odd track day. Also want the ability to drive it on the street on occasions, and for it to retain the manual 25 box. (if it shows it can hold it). Rumours are that the 25 box is good for 500rwkw, but we’ll only know for sure when some1 tries out hey.

Anything wrong with being different. Maybe t just might work out to be an amazingly quick package for both the drags, circuit and still be able to drive it on the street.

Don’t get me wrong I aint getting the shits, I value ur post and it was indeed needed :P.