Brand Pronunciation

Rezz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Michael :P

Here are a few more:

#6 5 Zigen : In English 'Five Ziggen' (not Zai-gen). The Japanese pronunciation for '5' is 'Goh', so the Japanese would say 'Goh Ziggen'.

#7 Tanabe : Tah-nah-beh... (not Tah-nay-be).

#8 Jun : 'Joon', but the 'oo' sound is said quickly, like 'u' as in 'put'. Most people get this right anyway.

I do, and at least a few other people on here. It's really sad isn't it?

edit:

Just to clarify, I didn't come on here to 'sell' to people the idea of correctly pronouncing Japanese brand names. Some people have always wondered about this. So here you are... the way the Japanese say it.

If you don't care/think it's pointless, I'd appreciate it if you stay out of the thread.

Look mate, I wasn't trying to be rude. Accents and pronounciation are different in every single country in the world, known fact. An aussie would look like a dickhead speaking with a japanese accent, it is more their accent how they say words. Over here that's why so many people do say it wrong (I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't know what you expect to achieve from this)

If they come over here & say, "Hah-zive", we say "No mate, it's HSV". If we go over there & say "Cuss-co", they will say "No, it's Coo-sco". It just makes things easier. For example, speak a normal sentence & then just say "greedeh" somewhere in the middle. That wouldn't really sound right. Get a japanese person to say it, and you wouldn't notice anything wrong.

That's all it is.

So whats peoples take on German/French brand pronunciation... should we say it properly or not give a shit?

Hahaha... I just remembered something.

When I was in Germany visting family, I was suprised that they all said B-M-VEE instead of BMW!!! I guess thats one example of where it definately sounds wack if you say it the way the home country says it...

Edited by Rezz

So while we are on topic.

There seem to be alot of ppl saying "pro noun see ay shun" when its actaully "pro nun see ay shun"

Thats a pet hate of mine.

everythink/everything

arcs/ask

just some of my pet hates... lol

When I was in Germany visting family, I was suprised that they all said B-M-VEE instead of BMW!!! I guess thats one example of where it definately sounds wack if you say it the way the home country says it...

about that, in the macedonian languauge, and not doubt other euro languaues, the letter W is actually pronounced as the letter V. e.g bmw they say it as bmv

also, the letter X is pronounced as the letter H, to TX3 would be TH3 for us.

steve

So whats peoples take on German/French brand pronunciation... should we say it properly or not give a shit?

Hahaha... I just remembered something.

"Werke" in German is pronounced with a "Vey" syllable, whereas "Works" in English is pronounced with a "Wo" syllable. Hence "Bay-aM-Vey" not "Bee-eM-dub-U".

The problem is that the japanese like the english language so much they write 'brand' name using it. If they want it read in the english language they must suffer the frustration of hearing it come out according to pronunciation in english.

They could just use japanese kanji to brand things and then the 'words' become part of the japanese language domain.