SAU Community

Private Or Car Yard?

Modena

Guys, when buying an R33 skyline, would it be any better getting it from an import car yard or just go priv?

Car yards generally charge must higher. Forget about the warranty or whatever shit. Most of the warranties don't cover u for nuthing. Only thing good about dealers is you have a wider choice when you go to the car yard.

thinking about this one myself at the moment. I think im going to budget for car yard prices, but buy privately and use the difference to fix up any problems that might occur, or anything that i might need. e.g. alarm, pod, oils/belts etc. If the spare dollars doesnt end up being necessary, I think i'll probably just dump the difference on my loan.

depends how good you can negotiate.

If you can negotiate, then go with someone who can etc, pick off all the little problems with the car etc etc, like scratches, dints etc, basically anything you can to drag the price down etc. I've found with car yard dealers there not to bad in knocking a few hundred off the price etc if you can deal with em.

Private sales are very easy to knock down most of the time, because everyone advertises higher than they think theyll get.

For example, my R33 was advertised for 20K, bought it for 16.5K because it needed new front tires and a 100 thousand km service.

If you get the car RAC checked and its all ok, there's no reason why you shouldnt buy privately!

I managed to get my R33 for 20K from a car yard when they were advertising it as 25K. I'd seen it in the weekend newspaper for 20K, but were selling during the week for 25K. So when I went there on a Monday I offered them the weekend price. They just about made their money back with stuff like paint protection, rust proofing, mystery rattle insurace etc. :tongue:

Another car yard related question, if the car is around about 16000 mark... how easy is it to drop it down to 15 or even 14,500??

Can someone tell me some true stories when dealing with car yard sales men?

If u have the cash ready/finances approved you are in a better situation to negotiate. I have bought my 2 imports from dealers over the years and my experiences have been good. You need to find a dealer who is honest and knows what they are talking about instead of one that just wants to do the hard sell.

Also ask them how long the car has been on the floor. Usually they want to move them within a couple of months - as the car nears that age you can generally bargin a better price - although with new cars it is easier.

If you buy privately make sure you get a mechanical inspection done by somebody you trust and not just the RWC.

If you buy privately make sure you get a mechanical inspection done by somebody you trust and not just the RWC.

make sure u get an inspection if you buy from a dealer also!

we got a stack of things fixed by the dealer on our car that would have cost us money, but instead were fixed for free

In my oppinion private sales are better. Just need to know what to look for when buying your car so you dont get ripped off. My mate bough his Series2 GTST from a caryard which was advertised at XXX amount of km's. Once when removing the glovebox he found some old Japanese papers sitting behind which ended up being service receipts in Japan with much higher km's indicated than what he had on the car.

Ive got a family friend who is a mechanic so I might and try him to do it. With priv and dealer cars, can I request to take the car during the week or weekend into the workshop to get it checked??

I know that if the guy selling the car refuses then something is wrong with it...so I can walk away.