SAU Community

What Skline Is The Best?

hey all,

Im a new member to these forums so please giveme some help on skylines..

I have just sold my Xr6 turbo ute as it was no good for my work..(dusty roads in the country) and at the price it cost me i couldnt afford a work car or ute.

I have decided to buy the all famous Skyline from which ive heard heaps about and even personally taken a drive in one and realised their true potential..but i need a little help to get me started..

Ive allowd $20k give or take to spend and i dont want a GTR due to the fact i love frying tread... (although ive seen some GTR's still do that).. and with the rest of my money from my turbo ute $10k left over ive brough a crappy old work ute and a 05 450f motorcross bike..

IM looking at the R33's... (turbo manual coupe) and the prices seem to vary from around $13k up to $24k.

i wanna buy a slightly tricked up skyline (eg. bov, exhaust, mabye computer, intake, timer etc) and then wanna do my own crap to it.

some of the main points im trying to find out about is first..

1. Is it better to fork out the extra $$$ for a series 2 skyline? wats the pros/cons?

2. what are some things to look out for that would make the skyline a good buy.

3. if so what mods would see me getting good results straight away... eg.. powerFC, intercooler, intake etc.

As you may notice i dont know alot about skylines yet... other than what an Autoworx guy told me who imports them and does them up and sells em.. he rekons just do simple bolt on mods, up the boost and your away.

I know i may sound like a bit of a pain in the but asking all this and its probaly been asked many times, but ive just spent the good whole of last year working on my xr6 turbo ute.. helping guys out with their utes and telling other guys what you guys are probally gonna tell me and give me advice... but you need forums to keep going and my R33 project is gonna be a few years long so im gonna soon be a regular and a commited member... just needa go buy the car! :)

Cheers guys.. hope you can help

Jezza.

1. From what ive read on these forums the series 2 has a quicker spooling nylon turbo, different front\bonnet\lights, maybe other things but i dont know.

2. just make sure u get it looked at by a good mechanic, get pressure tests done etc, bring someone with you maybe that knows skylines, take it for a spin make sure u like how it drives..

3. normally boltons yeah, exhaust, aftermarket ecu, intercooler, boost controller should bring you close to 200rwkw

welcome to the skyline scene.

"i wanna buy a slightly tricked up skyline (eg. bov, exhaust, mabye computer, intake, timer etc) and then wanna do my own crap to it.

some of the main points im trying to find out about is first..

1. Is it better to fork out the extra $$$ for a series 2 skyline? wats the pros/cons?

2. what are some things to look out for that would make the skyline a good buy.

3. if so what mods would see me getting good results straight away... eg.. powerFC, intercooler, intake etc."

Buying a tricked up skyline has its advantages, in that obviously its cheaper than buying a stock one and buying all the performance parts new. Be aware though, that they have probably been driven a lot harder.

(Keep some money for future repairs, regardless.) Things do break! the most tedious repair ive had to do is an exhaust manifold gasket.. that was a headache, with broken studs etc to top it all off :s

Apart from some minor changes to bonnet/headlights, the s1, and 2 look practically identical. Series 2 came with airbags and cruise. not sure what other differences.

obviously the series 2 will probably be in marginally better condition. less mileage, etc. so it's up to u to decide if u want to spend an extra 3-4 k at least for a s2.

For quick results, get a good exhaust system, then get decent sized front mount intercooler, and turn up the boost to a mild 9-10 psi. the difference is unbelievable, will make it a whole new car.

If u want to go further, get a better dump pipe off the turbo, get a powerfc as u mentioned, which primarily will stop the mixtures richening right up higher in the rev range as they do with the standard ecu.

theres a never ending list of things you could do.. :)

I prefer the r33, excellently priced, and look great. Very good interior space as well. excellent handling, and with some mods u wont even realize its a bit heavier than the average 2 door sports import..

Edited by soon2b33

Get a 32 GTS-T. Should get one with pretty decent mods for around

$12,000 - $14,000, making around 170rwkw. Plenty of fun with cash

left for personalizing!

12-14k with 170rwkw? That means aftermarket turbo and all the support bits that go with it. Most folks selling 32 GTS-T's dont' seem to have grasped the fact that they arne't going to sell their near stock car for $13k.

I'd go the 33. Its the better GTS-T out of the two for sure. (better engine, transmission etc).

if anyone can find that FORSALE add with the orange rb26 R33, i would suggest that as a buy.

or spend 25k and get an R34.

allblitz is selling that one.

hmmm for 25 you'd get a pretty crummy 34 (assuming you buy locally)

IMO The S2 is a nice car, Newer, Air bags, More refined front end, Much nicer front bar. etc

Ive recently sold my S1 and now buying a S2.

If your going with the basic exhaust, air filter, front mount, etc. Make sure you get a Power FC, You will see a huge difference with a good computer supporting these mods.

One of the first mods i will be doing is exhaust & power fc.

IMO The S2 is a nice car, Newer, Air bags, More refined front end, Much nicer front bar. etc

Ive recently sold my S1 and now buying a S2.

If your going with the basic exhaust, air filter, front mount, etc. Make sure you get a Power FC, You will see a huge difference with a good computer supporting these mods.

One of the first mods i will be doing is exhaust & power fc.

Yeah R33 II is very sexy with a stock kit even... series 1 is average from the front, I do liek their curvy spiler though... I personally hate the GTR R33 spoiler... looks like a cardboard box... lol

Yeah R33 II is very sexy with a stock kit even... series 1 is average from the front, I do liek their curvy spiler though... I personally hate the GTR R33 spoiler... looks like a cardboard box... lol

100%

The first thing i will be doing is swaping for a stealth/drift wing.

12-14k with 170rwkw? That means aftermarket turbo and all the support bits that go with it. Most folks selling 32 GTS-T's dont' seem to have grasped the fact that they arne't going to sell their near stock car for $13k.

I'd go the 33. Its the better GTS-T out of the two for sure. (better engine, transmission etc).

R32 GTS-t RB20 with RB25 gearbox.... bulletproof. Seriously, you wanna have a play? With limited cash? Don't go with the flow and buy R33, R32 with Power FC, Intercooler, Exhaust (as in all exhaust - manifold - dump pipe eit) should see you get significant power increases and plenty of tyre frying action!! :D

2 questions

How tall are you

Do you plan on having people in the car

If your about 6ft or over get the 33 Im 6.5 and just have enough room in mine I wouldn't fit in a 32

If you plan on having freinds in the car go the 33 aswell more space in the backseat

and if I could go back and buy a skyline again Id get a mechanic I trust to have a good look over the engine/turbo/gearbox and diff while doing the test drive if possible I bought my first skyline just over two months ago and in that time Ive had to replace the clutch $1400 and now need new engine and turbo $2000-$3500 and thats just to get it back to good stock condition no upgrades besides exhaust and I went with an exedy heavy clutch so take your time and be sensible dont make the same mistakes I did, I just wanted a skyline BAD! but now Ive ended up spending dollars on repairs/replacement that couldve been spent on upgrades :)

2 questions

How tall are you

Do you plan on having people in the car

If your about 6ft or over get the 33 Im 6.5 and just have enough room in mine I wouldn't fit in a 32

If you plan on having freinds in the car go the 33 aswell more space in the backseat

and if I could go back and buy a skyline again Id get a mechanic I trust to have a good look over the engine/turbo/gearbox and diff while doing the test drive if possible I bought my first skyline just over two months ago and in that time Ive had to replace the clutch $1400 and now need new engine and turbo $2000-$3500 and thats just to get it back to good stock condition no upgrades besides exhaust and I went with an exedy heavy clutch so take your time and be sensible dont make the same mistakes I did, I just wanted a skyline BAD! but now Ive ended up spending dollars on repairs/replacement that couldve been spent on upgrades :)

Where did you get yours from?

R33 GTS-t Series 1 imported will cost your around $12K. Thats is ALOT of car for $12K. Much better interior styling and space than the R32 with a much torquier motor and tough as 5spd box.

People are asking WAY too much for R32s these days, you can pick up a bargain priced (and lightly modded) R33 for much the same, if not less!

As for the fight between a S1 and a S2, how modded you gonna go? Big turbo and ecu change? go a series 1, save yourself the inital purchase costs!

My 2 cents....

Where did you get yours from?

Private sale-shouldve had mech look over it, I saw it, I drove it, I wanted it- all I really did was check for leaks/checked exhaust for smoke/checked belts etc... and gave a bit when I test drove it oh well live and learn, anyone know where to get a good RB25DET with turbo at a decent price?

Check this one out its $23000 - $3000 more than you said you wanted to spend but its a GTST with an RB26DETT so you get the twin turbo power with the rwd that you want nice spray job and interior to, dont know had to add the link so ill just write it in

www.allblitz.com.au/cars/005nskyline33orange.html

or just wait till the allblitz add pops up at the top of the forum and click on it nice f...ing car! :P

when I was looking and saw mine I thought yeah Ill get it and add the mods myself/upgrade blah blah blah sprayjob blah...

but when you add it all up your better off buying one that someones allready done it to especially since for a good spray these days you can expect to pay 6-10k!! and thats just cosmetic, let someone else do all the spending and work and save yourself hassle in the long run

Edited by BOVed