SAU Community

clutchs

Saluations All.

This maybe obvious to some, and others may pretend to know.

But I've just picked up a new clutch. it appears to of the brass (? brass) button (the plate has five separate fingers with pads on each) type.

I've been told it'll hold onto 200RwKw easily (I'm no where near that). But I've also bveen told that if you don't know what your doing you can wear a button clutch out in a very very very very very very short time if you ride it - which of course is bad in any clutch.

I'm just interested how I'll have to adjust my driving style with this clutch, will I wear the clutch out if you ease off the lights, does it have to be rev and dump at every lights to protect the clutch ?

I don't ride the clutch at all unless I'm parking or doing general driving to work (rarely) and need to ease of the light...Will I wear the clutch out quickly from just this ? I take it, it will be a new expirence in the wet too!

PS. Its a R33GTS-t and the clutch was from a southern import jap shop.

Thanks any ifo/comments would help.

ps...why is a five finger clutch stronger then a full face ? I thought the more area of contact the stronger clamping you'd get.

Andrew

The paddle/finger/button clutch is made of a different material, and the smaller area means more pressure on the paddles. From what I've been told do not ride the clutch at all, you should get used to taking off gently without riding it. It will never be as gentle as a sprung organic (Standard) clutch though.

Near the centre it's either a solid centre, or has a set of springs. The solid centre has NO give at all whereas sprung button clutch is slightly less harsh.

After having a sprung button in my car I will never go back, the sheer grip that it has is unreal, however the loss of smooth gear changes may not suit everyone.

Jimbo.... Dude, the twin plates are the next step up again from a button clutch. These have extreme clamping pressure and very high friction co-efficients. They are basicly on or off.... If you went back to a single plate clutch you may get smoother take off, but replace your clutch every month or two due to it not being able to cope with the power.

Sorry pal, that's the price of high performance, loss of comfort.

All I know is that I'd take performance over comfort anyday :uh-huh:

I'm more than happy to use the clutch how it's meant to be used (on/off) but I've never driven a multiplate clutch before so I have no idea what I'm meant to do ;) I know it sounds dumb, but I'd love to ride with someone who has a multiplate and knows how to use it.

I'm certainly not after comfort, I just don't want the cops after me at every set of lights for losing traction, also how the hell are you meant to drive in city traffic ala. Parramatta Road ? I don't know about anyone else with a multiplate clutch, but I manage to look like a bunny wabbit on extasy trying to move along at a snails pace ......

thats one of the many reasons i like working nights.

my 5 puck brasser ain't no twin plate, but smooth launchs can be difficult sometimes too... night shift = no traffic. I have stopped and waited before for the traffic to ease up cause my leg gets tired. ;)

I had a HD Kevlar clutch fitted that is supposed to handle 200rwkw no worries..

Its smooth but has a short takeup and is very grippy.

It does take a bit to get used to if you want smooth gear changes even then you still get the od rough change.