SAU Community

Land Rover, Range Rover Question ?

This might sound stupid coming from someone who has never owned a SUV or Jeep before. but i want to know why Range Rovers costs an arm and a leg to buy ? is theres something im missing ?

i've only started to notice them on the road, well only the newer models. i've never liked range rovers, but the new models are starting to grown on me, especially the Vogue model. since im interested in one, i thought i'd take a look at the official website. to my surprise, i didnt know these SUV tanks costed over 100grand to buy. without prior knowledge i thought they costed 65grand max.

like i said before, are they special or something ?

gonna go test drive one soon. if i like it, i might trade up my GTR.

Land rover, Range Rover almost the same ting. these car are expensive is because they are known as "luxury" 4WD. u pay the big bucks for the choice of three engines for their vehicles. u pay for the airbag suspension and all the other luxury crap that goes with it.

i know a guy that bought a brand new land rover discovery 3 off the showroom floor and it has been through 2 diffs, new airbag suspension, 2 engines and some minor stuff. he says its the shittest car he has ever owned. plus he forked out 80k for it too.

personally i dont like them or would buy one for the price tag they want.

Land rover, Range Rover almost the same ting. these car are expensive is because they are known as "luxury" 4WD. u pay the big bucks for the choice of three engines for their vehicles. u pay for the airbag suspension and all the other luxury crap that goes with it.

i know a guy that bought a brand new land rover discovery 3 off the showroom floor and it has been through 2 diffs, new airbag suspension, 2 engines and some minor stuff. he says its the shittest car he has ever owned. plus he forked out 80k for it too.

personally i dont like them or would buy one for the price tag they want.

thoes problems come std with land rovers as with jaguar aswell

well i think there so much because:

1. their made in england

2. you pay for the name more than the car

3. their very nice & easy to drive through having driving one myself

4. you get to choose from plenty of options

5. the guy who puts the price tag on em thinks he's king sh*t so he does wat he pleases

well dats wat i think...my dad bought a new land rover(which is similar to range rovers) in 1989 smick as and it cost him like 80k or something like that (which was heaps back in late 80's) and when it got over here all the exterior panels had been damaged through shipping from england and no one would cough so he had to fork out 4 it so he had to cough up a bit more cash but after that it was excellent to drive...so my point is if your looking at buying one take it for a run if u like it look around a few different dealers and see who offers a betta deal, then take it from there.

you may find that 100,000+ is alot of money to most people but once you actually get it and start driving it you will never look back...

Cheers

:P

It's just street cred but more than likely will only impress doctors and lawyers.

They are damn nice inside but as a four wheel drive you'll find that land cruisers, pajero's, etc, etc are better at off road. Being that they don't weigh in at like 2500 kg's compared to range rovers.

It's just street cred but more than likely will only impress doctors and lawyers.

They are damn nice inside but as a four wheel drive you'll find that land cruisers, pajero's, etc, etc are better at off road. Being that they don't weigh in at like 2500 kg's compared to range rovers.

I think they are closer in weight than you might realise. There's only 60-odd kgs difference. A 'cruiser with an extra passenger or a full tank of fuel would weigh more than a Range Rover.

Toyota Landcruiser Sahara (4x4)

Body: 4 Door Wagon

Transmission: 5 Speed Auto

Engine Size: 4.7L

Engine Type: Multi Point F/INJ

List Price: $84,200

Engine Specifications

Cylinders: V8

Valve Gear: Dohc

Engine cc: 4664

Bore/Stroke: 94x84

Compression Ratio: 9.6

Power kW: 170

Torque Nm: 410

Dimensions

Seats: 8

Height mm: 1850

Wheel Base mm: 2850

Kerb Weight kg: 2510

GVM kg: 3260

GCM kg: 6760

Steering

Steering: Vrr&p

Turning Circle metres: 11.8

Capacity

Fuel Tank Capacity litres: 141

Towing Capacity kg: 3500

Wheels

Drive: 4WD

Wheels: 8x17

Land Rover Range Rover Vogue

Vehicle Summary

Body: 4 Door Wagon

Transmission: 6 SP Auto Sequential

Engine Size: 4.4L

Engine Type: Multi Point F/INJ

List Price: $141,900

Engine Specifications

Cylinders: V8

Valve Gear: Dohc

Engine cc: 4394

Bore/Stroke: 88x90.3

Compression Ratio: 10.5

Power kW: 225

Torque Nm: 440

Dimensions

Seats: 5

Height mm: 1863

Wheel Base mm: 2880

Kerb Weight kg: 2572

GVM kg: 3050

GCM kg: 6550

Steering

Steering: PaR&P

Turning Circle metres: 11.6

Capacity

Fuel Tank Capacity litres: 105

Towing Capacity kg: 3500

Wheels

Drive: 4WD

Wheels: 8x19

there is alot in the name obviously, but some respected car jurno's, namely Jeremy Clarkson (one of the guys on the show Top Gear) has said it is the best car money can buy. he said that the build quality was just that good, and suposedly, the reliability issues have been worked out on the newer models

Airbag suspension is cool - Going to spend $80K and want airbag suspension - buy the Toyota Prado Grande. Least you'll have some resale value at hte end of the day - and they have a motor built to do a million kilometres.

Anyways back to the question .... its simple......

why do you pay big bucks for versace?

why do you pay big bucks to buy a house in a fancy suburb?

etc etc etc

Its all about a name and reputation. A business can build up those two things along with a demand ....... then they can charge more than their competitors and still get clientelle.

Everyone's pretty much covered it.

The Range Rover practically invented the current SUV market. It was the first 4WD that had good off-road ability, and was usable around town.

Being British helped as well. Why did people buy Jags back in the day, when BMWs and Mercs were better built and cheaper?

Everyone's pretty much covered it.

The Range Rover practically invented the current SUV market. It was the first 4WD that had good off-road ability, and was usable around town.

Being British helped as well. Why did people buy Jags back in the day, when BMWs and Mercs were better built and cheaper?

range rovers r the only vehicle (apart from jags) that spend more time in the workshop getting fixed than being driven

range rovers r the only vehicle (apart from jags) that spend more time in the workshop getting fixed than being driven

Ever seen an MGB that's daily driven? :devil: I doubt it, because that would imply that your car could stay together for more than a day of use.

Most classic British marques (i.e. before they got bought by the Americans / Germans) have a ratshit build quality. Look at the TVRs - my British colleagues compare them to Hansel and Gretel since the roadside assistance guys can always figure out where it is by following the trail of parts until you see something obscured in boiled coolant on the side of the road.

my opinion is that if you are not going to go bush with it evey weekend dont buy one theey are too big and most off the drivers off them are fools.

if you are spending 100000 on a car by a f**king r34 gtr vspec 2 nur or something like that for anouthere 20 or 30 grand