SAU Community

Single H/U = Big Hole, how to fill

whistla

i had the factory CD/Tape/Tuner in (Double Din??) and i changed that over to a single CD player now

As a result, there is a nice ugly hole underneath the unit where the factory unit occupied that space

iv read somewhere here that the Z32(300ZX) "Dash Insert" fits perfectly in that space

1. From Nissan, brand new, this insert is $100 <- try justify that

2. Nissan/Zed wreckers dont have any/cant find any

What else can be done to fill up this space?

(nothing stupid like, "oh put a safc pos in there")

id prefer to block it with a peice of plastic or some kind of plastic "pocket" or even some kind of CD holder

any help?

what have others done?

There is a similar thread going round these forums...

Someone posted that a toyota dash pocket fits a1 - about $5 from a toyota wrecker. Failing that, the pocket from a pulsar fits a1 as well. Should be able to get one from just about any wrecker.

don't get stung on a new part !!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boxhead

i dont know which nissan quoted you $100 new,

i got a new one from my local nissan( and there not very bright down there and usually have to be spoonfed the instructions) did cost $28 tho... but the first gave me a mazda one which didnt fit...

Guest Boxhead

ns2500, yeh you will prolly find that there all the same bracket, nissan thingos... its just our local nissan have no idea about that, you have to spoon feed them the info...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I had the same problem

well if u are willing to spend da money u can buy a cd holder/rack that'll fit into the din perfectly, and they're easy to put on...

they're 89 bucks and JB but u can bargain them down to $80...

they look pretty awsome and pops out when u press da button..

howeva it onli holds 4 cds which kinda sucks!!

kslim

• 2 weeks later...

Guys just going through the same problem at the moment!

If your in Melbourne (Oakleigh, Hawthorn or Melton) you can get them from the friendly guys at Tower Audio on 03 9579 0777. Cost me $28 also.

• 2 weeks later...

hey Sydneykid, where did u get the gauge holder from to fit the 3 gauges coz thats exactly what i wanna do but i dont know where to get the plastic gauge holder from. i went to robbos and they got this crappy one where u gotta drill it under the dash or something but i prefer it to be screwed in with the old bracket, if u know what i mean. if u could let me know it would be great. thanks.

I made a plastic panel out of some offcut plastic (actually side of a plastic box i bought for $5 :P ).., cut it to shape, and bolted a couple of extra L-brackets ($4 from bunnings) behind to the car stereo frame. Looks pretty factory looking and cheap as all. Mount a 10mm CCFL behind if you want a nice rice glow look. Aluminium would give you that racer look I guess :)

I actually had a lower bin, just wanted a nice place to mount my S-AFC and I now have one. Could mount guages or whatever in there as well i guess with ease.. just not a massive guage person.

i like the placing of s-afc's or ACVRs in the place where the ashtray is simply remove the ashtray and slip it in, or mount it over the top of the ashtray... seen it done before on s14s and R32s/33s.. this saves the room higher up for 3 gauges....

S-AFC or AVR-R or any of the apexi gizmos won't fit exactly in the ash-tray space at least on my 33.. you have to cut it out a bit further i think. I was thinking that myself but no fit.

you could always remove the stereo entirely and mount in under the passenger glove box.. as long as u had an mp3 one and remote doova u should be right.. could mount lots of guages in there then :P

any nissan product from 92 onwards has the same pocket.

I do a similar thing to most of the imports I do. the pockets are cheap( less than $28) if you know where to get them.

if you are interested pm me.