SAU Community

How To Fix Missfire Problem

MKDR33

When accelerating past about 1500RPM till about 4500RPM the car would missfire all the way inbetween, it was just a constant stutter, like the car was struggling....

When getting to high rev's it would just dissapear, the missfire was very noticable in 1st and 2nd gear....

this sounds very much like the missfire that i had.. but it started from 4500 to about 5500rpm.. so im not sure if its a coil pack problem, but maybe fuel ratios (rich n retard) problem..

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey guys i know this isn't going along the lines of the thread... but had massive missfire in mine.. everyone said coils, several workshops even said it. i did the fix and it did fix it temporarily but came back... givin up on the problem until i have enough dosh to get new coils... i was working on my intercooler piping the other day and repositioned where by boost controller got signal from and ever since then i can run more boost and no signs of a miss (well so far touch wood) i don't know this might help a few people

• 2 months later...
Has anyone got their afrs checked on the dyno, as I'm not the only one whos had a remap fix their misfire problem (running extremely rich)

Can't hurt to check.

doubt that this would fix the missfiring, especially under high boost, with stock coil packs, and in winter time(cooler conditions).. regap your spark plugs to 0.8 and get splitfires, or seal them with silicon as described in this thread, this will fix the missfiring problem 90% of the time..

running too rich is a totally different problem..

Edited by EVL-R33

• 1 year later...

i fixed my coil with high heat resistant silicon gasket it is a messy job but it pays off in the end.

i put the silicon gasket on the coil mounts and in the base of the boot. i silicone the boot because it could ark from there.

• 4 months later...

Massive misfire between 4-5000rpm that felt like early revlimiter - completely fixed with silicone - chose Ultrablack rated to 260 deg - stuck the coils directly onto the alloy frame and left the two retaining bolts out to ensure no path to earth except through the plug. Let it dry for 2 days before refit... problem solved :P

Massive misfire between 4-5000rpm that felt like early revlimiter - completely fixed with silicone - chose Ultrablack rated to 260 deg - stuck the coils directly onto the alloy frame and left the two retaining bolts out to ensure no path to earth except through the plug. Let it dry for 2 days before refit... problem solved :thumbsup:

so they were your coils ?

• 2 months later...

i just bought my car a week ago, 4th day i've driven it, and it's been misfiring on hard boost around 5-6k.. (34 gtt)

i've taken out the coilpacks and put silicone over them (basically smothered it all over) found basically scratches and a little notch.. but no cracks of any sort, so i'm just claiming warranty for new splitfires, and also ordered NGK iridium sparks

just reading on here there seems to be quite a few other things that can cause the misfire, but i can't exactly pinpoint where ;) it was just imported in december as well (65,000km on the clock)

let's hope either spark plugs fix it! or new coilpacks do!

i had wat ur describing Neuroglider. could only get the laser platinum sparkys at the time, chucked those in and nearly no missfire at all. but get the platinums as they last around 80000kms. ppl tend to prefer the copper plugs but they have to be changed around every 10000km. will be drenching coils in silicone maybe over weekend to see if it gets rid of the fidgety lil missfire that come every now and then.

Hi Guy`s i have Stagea S2 neo,iI have been PLAYING with coilpack`s since owning my Stagea dec 06 i have tryed few way`s & am still trying different way now have 3 set`s iam doing different,as yet i have found CRC RED URETHANE SEAL COAT which is used for motor winding,this is by far the best way i have try so far,all so look`s good,post-36964-1239969970_thumb.jpg post-36964-1239970199_thumb.jpgpost-36964-1239970677_thumb.jpg,I will post up some more as i PLAY with different way`s.cheer`s chuckie.

I'm having this same problem too. Have only had my 33 S2 for a couple of weeks now. I changed the plugs to NGK platinums, changed fuel filter and it already has the spitfire coils. But the issue is still there. Generally it's ok on boost but when it happens it gets quite annoying.

Any ideas on what else I could try next?

Thanks guys.

where did u buy the Urethane seal coat?

thats the one thats in electric motor windings right?

does it work just as good as silicone?

G`Day SiR,i find it`s work`s well have coated 4 set so far & all`s good,most coventrys have it & few other will have it,i have posted few bit`s,+ you can spary what colour you like after i use brake&caliper paint or engine enamel to finish off,i shall also look at putting fibre washer between coilpack & head to see if that will help ??,again just try to stop heat soak into coilpack`s my work may not,could also look at HEAT SHRINK,as i TRY different thing`s i shall post up what is try & HOPE IT HELP`S ,so good luck,i run platinum`s gapped to .08,Cheer`s Chuckie.

• 2 weeks later...

i know this post is old but i had the same trouble and now its fixed new spark plugs and silicon on the coils its like a new car i can run 13 psi easy wohoo thanks guys :P

well i find out in another WEEK if mine is fixed..damn warranty takes ages to sort out :P but im just having new spark plugs put in and coilpacks changed.. so yeah hopefully that fixes it! once that's over i needa sort out my gear crunches :S

Just had the same issue with my r34 gtt 4 door. It was misfiring hard anywhere from 3000 upward depending on load, but mostly at 4000 to 5000 rpm. Very violent misfire for sure!

I was due for service in 2000 km's at (65,000km) so i did a service while i was at it. New K&N panel filter, edge oil & filter, new ngk iridium plugs and i taped the coil packs. Took the neo cover and its mount bracket off the front and also the coil pack cover, to get the heat away from them.

03052009147.jpg

03052009148.jpg

03052009145.jpg

I couldnt see any obvious cracks even on close inspection. However the plugs were fowled for sure and at a guess appear to be factory original items. Gave the coil packs a good clean up terminal wise too.

pics

plugs (note i got the iridiums already gapped at 0.75)

03052009151.jpg

03052009152.jpg

coil packs before & after

03052009149.jpg

03052009150.jpg

reset the ecu and now its running better than ever! instant throttle response, smoother gear shifts, better accelleration, and no stutters or misfires! WOOOP WOOP! cheap fixes are best when they work!

Edited by STYLN

• 1 month later...

i wrapped em, and a fine layer of silicone underneath, worked a treat.

although i only had a small miss at idle and on cold nights.

i also put a switch in to turn off the 5 psi low boost, feels like a new machine, esp after giving the Aac valve a good clean, and giving it a tiny bit more idle.

without these forums i woulda lived with it as is, thanks heaps to all involved in the tuts and DIY stuff, you guys rock

Hi guys, ok .old thread but yeh thought it was appropriate to post here, i did the wrap up with tape job and the missfire above 4000rpm has disappeared and it redlines great..but my car has developed a pretty rough idle, i mean, the the car runs fine, stock ecu, platinum plugs gapped to 0.8mm.

i tested the coil packs today and they all work and are fine. by rough, i dont mean the whole car shakes like a rattle, but i can see my gear knob shaking quite a bit.

is there anythin else i can sheck or do?

I have r32 gtr coils in the car, soz my old ones crapped themselves (2 of them) i still got the old ones, and was wondering if i did the silicone gel thing on the 4, it would help anything?

i adjustd the iac valve as well to get it as smooth as i could, but it still has shakes,, am not too worried but quite annoyed.

any ideas guys?

cheers

ben