SAU Community

Headlights

Driver

HI!

This is a bit of an unusual request, but I was wondering if anyone had a diagram or anything for the headlight wiring?

I need it to give to a friend so he can make me up a thinga mebob so when I turn my hi-beams on both low and high beam will come on.

Thanks!!

-Brendan

It seemed wierd to me - but I would doubt that the alternator wasn't up to it. I can't think how much a pair of headlights uses, but it won't be that much compared to the difference in, say, fan settings between 1 and 4, having you AC on or not, etc. Lights use stuff all compared to them. Is there some regulation in Japan against having double headlights?

I've always preferred the double headlight look. So if your mate invents a thingymawotsit, I would be interested too - I am assuming he knows what he is doing?

Cheers.

I have seen that kit on the perfectrun site and have considered it. Bit dear for a little plugin adapter! Let us know if the standard wiring is up to the extra load or if a relay is required.

Just looking at the headlight wiring on my R32. It sure looks like it could benefit from some relays and thicker wires. I doubt it would be safe to increase bulb wattage without doing so. If you run a heavy wire from the battery to the relay don't forget to put in a fuse or circuit breaker. It shouldn't be too hard to wire the lights to work together and upgrade the wiring at the same time. It should make a huge difference.

I just noticed this happens, last Monday on the GOR cruise, as i wanted to take a photo with all my lights on.

Just thinking about it, it should not be too difficult. You need a 12V relay, a fuse and a soldiering iron. Just off head, if you were to use the wire from your hi-beams as an input trigger to your relay. Then from the output of the relay tap into the wires going to your low-beams this should work. I would need to find out if the wiring is +ve or -ve trigger.

I will try it on the weekend and let you know.

If my idea is completly wrong and is going to cause trouble please let me know, as i think it might work.

you could also try running 100w Halogen bulbs in your hi beam. this is what I do and I can see about 3kms up the road! and close if I need to but I usually try to look as far ahead as I can.

It sounds to me like a relay set up is the way to go. I would be surprised it there weren't existing relays in the headlight wiring as it is. It should then be just a matter of connecting the two relays, but I would have to see the wiring diagram (but not being a sparky, I wouldn't set too much store on my opinion!!). Still trying to digest the wiring diagrams from Megala's site ....

I also agree with Majanal, that if you are fiddling around with the lights and wiring, you could take the opporunity to upgrade to Halogen bulbs, even the new high intensity type. Can you get the sexy blue ones for Skylines?

Hey All

just a quick word of caution, check how much you are drawing from the battery before you make this mod permanent. The alternator isnt designed to run 4 headlamps at best, and if you factor in amps, ECUs and anything else you may be running, it could lead to a very flat battery very quickly.

My 2c

I have the OptiBlue HID globes in my R33. My dip beam still isn't anywhere near bright enough! Does anyone have any sugestions? Would getting the exterior lenses all cleaned up make a big difference? Does anyone know anywhere in Sydney that does this and could reseal the lights? Mine leak too!