SAU Community

Need Insurance? Want Cheaper Insurance?

The thing with Justcars is you have to use their repairers which is probably why they insure more people and can be cheaper. With Famous (and Torque, Shannons, and a few other enthusiast insurers) you get to pick your own repairer. They have a few blacklisted dodgy repairers, but other than that you can use pretty much whoever you want. Doesn't have to be the cheapest repair quote either.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by RB26DETT 240Z

Hi All,

can't believe that people are paying 3k + to get insurance for 1 year!  

I am 25yrs old and live in Perth, paying $536 for my R32 GTR...now that is good value, comprehensive too and Australia wide cover.

And as your signature says, your R32 GTR was Australian delivered - so "technically" it isn't an import right?

My parents get some sort of a farm pack with their cane farm. I can get insurance through this pack for the skyline that I want to buy, very cheap. ($1100) but there is one catch that ruins it all.

I am not alowed to modify the car. If I even simply change the shift knob, they will wipe my insurance. No exhaust, no boost controller, no nothing.

I think this is crap. I am 22, with no claims, no traffic history at all, etc and this is what they tell me.

I got a quote from famous and they quoted me $2800.

I think this is a crap quote, because they said since my car gets parked on the street, they add another $700 a year onto it.

If they said $2k, I would have taken it. I am so annoyed by this. I want insurance at $2k per year, and where I am alowed to modify the car.

Can anybody help?

I live in the Quiet town of Mackay (north QLD)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys give AON Ph 1300134 256, a go I have been insured with them for two years and had a claim in that time.

I have my R34 GTt insured with them agreed value for $40,000 and it cost me $745 my excess is $300 and I get one windscreen replacement without affecting my no claim bonus.

I am an old fart so maybe that is why it is as low as it is.

Drawback you have to use there recommended repairer.I did not have a problem with that when I made my claim it was done with a minimum of fuss and the repairs were carried out to my satisfaction.

I must add I am like most a very fussy car owner like most of you.

I do not work or get any commision from AON I am just putting my experiences with them so you can make your own judgement.

If you want to ring them fine you may save some money.

Report back to the forum if you ring them and let eveyone else know how you went with prices,it will be very interesting to see the results.

I'm always wary of places that force you to use one of their repairers, but I guess it all depends on the discount on the premium as to whether or not it's worthwhile. I would be willing to bet that I could shovel a few extra bucks to the repairer to make sure that a quality job was done, should the need arise.

Do you know if AON will insure cars for a good price in Sydney? One of the big plusses of Famous is they are much less Sydney-phobic than other insurance companies. My girlfriend's dad lives in a really dodgy suburb, and his premium is about 1/4 the value of his car with a major insurance company (maximum NCB, >50 years old).

My Skyline isn't even insurable in the same suburb with the same company. Famous charge me less than 10% of my vehicle's agreed value for my premium, and I'm a lot younger than my gf's dad :cheers:

I just called them for a quote also, they only do modified cars, and they dont car whether is slightly or heavily modified. I am 27, full rating 1 etc, NCD (the best) and the car is garaged, alarmed etc etc and in Adelaide, for my 1996 S2 GTS-T they quoted $1843.

I am currently paying $1650 with Just cars.

Unfortunately not a good result like most of you guys were getting quoted.

:rolleyes:

I just called them for a quote also, they only do modified cars, and they dont car whether is slightly or heavily modified. I am 27, full rating 1 etc, NCD (the best) and the car is garaged, alarmed etc etc and in Adelaide, for my 1996 S2 GTS-T they quoted $1843.

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
I just called them for a quote also, they only do modified cars, and they dont car whether is slightly or heavily modified.  I am 27, full rating 1 etc, NCD (the best) and the car is garaged, alarmed etc etc and in Adelaide, for my 1996 S2 GTS-T they quoted $1843.

:P

I just sold my skyline and cancelled my insurance. They are refunding me $50 for the premium left over. I asked what my renewal fee would be, he said $1,100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has to be cheaper once I sell the car hey!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Famous are an SAU endorsed company who offer our members a 10% discount or alternately will beat most quotes by 10%. Give them a call for a quote. You might be pleasently surprised.

George

I was told by Robyn that the 10% was more for existing customers with renewals... am i getting rooted?

I was told by Robyn that the 10% was more for existing customers with renewals... am i getting rooted?

at the time this post was made the 10% was offered to club members. at this stage i have no idea if they have changed their rules. sorry

torque, yes

tdawg, yes as far as i remember. always best to ring them up guys

• 3 weeks later...

Well i just got a $2500 p/a quote from Just cars, personaly i think thats a great rate. Even tho my car was carjacked off me, might i add famous wouldn't even look at me after the car jacking

And to top it off Just Cars beat famous's quote even tho i got the quote from famous before the incident!!!

Famous Sucks Ass :shake: