SAU Community

Car Still Stalling

Having attached the hose to the carbon canister the car was fine... for a short time.

Now the car sometimes stalls upon acceleration, i give it some and then the car just stalls... also spluttered today upon acceleration after I turned it back on. There is also destinctive sulpher smell after the car stalls.

I have checked the following:

Coil packs are clean and silver on the inside, all 6 of them.

Installed iridium NGK spark plugs 2 weeks ago.

Checked AFM and its clean on the inside (didnt check the electric internals though)

Fuel filter is also OK.

I am really desperate to get my car fixed as its starting to put me off the whole import scene and Im starting to curse the day I bought my first skyline... its probably a small problem but I have exhausted all my options... Im even willing to take it to Nissan dealer and have them hook it up to a machine to see of any error codes. The only problem is Im not made of money and on a tight budget atm.

Can someone plz advice me what else could be causing the stalling and spluttering of the car as I have NFI.

Cheers!

Dude you could try posting in the Vic section and see if anyone has a Consult cable in Melbourne? It'd save a few bucks over going to Nissan. I diagnosed a dodgy AFM that way.

Other than that, I'd interested to know what the problem with the motor is! Sounds bizarre.

You could start by do a ECU diagnostic,

and see what code you getting,

Having attached the hose to the carbon canister the car was fine... for a short time.

what did you do? leading to this?

stall under acceleration? Spark plugs?

take it out, check it.

too much fuel, and sparks weak maybe.

These sorts of problems you cant just tell wat could it be,

take it to a mechanic, they know wat they doing!

cheers,

Hey Dude... i ended up solving my problems by changing my fuel back to Synergy from Ultimate... stalled a few times in the morning... havent had a single problem since...

However it would be interesting to know what is causing the stalling. I also manually adjusted my idle and yeah all fixed..

yeah try using different fuels.. it helps cuz the crappier the fuel.. the less the chain of hydrocarbons being incompletely combusted in ur engine.. that causes knocking.. and u get like carbon monoxide shit comin out of ur exhaust.. and soot forming .. not good..

u tried ethanol mixed fuels?

they clean out all ur gunk in ur engine.. cuz ethanol is polar and it reacts with both non polar and polar.. so u get like clean burning + more energy output.. the rating for ethanol fuel is like 113.. and petrol unleaded is like 86..

so huge difference in power and efficiency hehe

Hey dude my mate with a 32 gtr had the same prob. It ended up being the ignitor box at back of cover.. Also another problem can be your crank angle sensor.

Intercooler pipe leak somewhere?

BOV? :P

Stock bov.

Anyway I will drop of my car this week at mechanics as its under warranty.

If there is a crack or leak somewhere, how much will it cost to fix? Im asking cos the warranty has conditions for eg: $350 for fuel pump and fuel system. $750 for electrical problems. $750 for cooling. $350 for computer and electrical sensors and so on.

Should this type of cover smooth it out?

Your in Melb so take it to Blackburn Nissan.

I have taken my GTS4 there at least 4 times over 8 yrs and they have run the consult box on it every time with out charge.

After all it only takes a few minutes to completely check it out, BUT, I was willing to pay and they said no need to pay its OK.

So I usually buy my parts there to try to give something back :P

UPDATE:

I am taking the car to mechanic tomorrow.

But today I drove and not a single stall. I did keep the RPM under 2000 though... actually last time it started stalling after I gave it some... so can anyone precisely say what could be causing the stalling after boosting it??

Are you having the most problems when you floor it from either low revs or when it's on max boost?

These situations will place the greatest load on your ignition system. So if it has trouble then, you may have weak spark due to a faulty ignitor or coil packs shorting out.

Are you having the most problems when you floor it from either low revs or when it's on max boost?

These situations will place the greatest load on your ignition system. So if it has trouble then, you may have weak spark due to a faulty ignitor or coil packs shorting out.

It varies, stalled again today a few times. It goes through stages where the car runs fine, then starts stalling.

Coil packs are clean and silver inside. Spark plugs are new iridium.

It really could be anything......

Something as minor as a loose wire.

A mechanic is your best bet.

I have had similar problems and it turned out to be an electrical fault, but that doesnt necessarily mean yours will be the same.

Hmm I've got a problem like this now though the car doesn't stall it just starts hunting & the vacuum level drops, indicating an air leak. Give it a quick rev & then it's ok again for a bit.

First time I had this problem it was the hose to the boost sensor which had started to split on the plenum end. Replaced that with some narrow gauge fuel hose & it was fine for a bit.

This time I've got a problem with the charcol canister, when I pinched the air line to the plenum, the revs drop a bit & it Idles smoother. For some reason my canister had been replaced with an aftermarket setup & mounted all the way over the other side of the car. I'm getting an original style canister from a wrecker's tomorrow & will fit it to the system soon.

Will keep you posted on what I find

Took it to mechanic, he cleaned the engine with some spray that he sprayed through the vacum hose and revving the car, all this black smoek came out... he also cleaned throttle control which had heaps of black shit inside. ALso had it retuned. Car runs better now but when you still push it hard it starts playing up again so in the end he said my AFM is f**ked so Im getting second hand AFM next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm this is starting to sound like my problem too. I clean all my stuff up, replaced my caniseter with an original 1, which helped, but then the prick of a thing started to stall easier.

Have redone my Idle since & it's a bit better but not great, have to make sure I use throttle on a hill, can't ride the clutch without it.