SAU Community

Turbo Timers In Victoria And The Law

frx026

Hi Guys,

I have read many threads in this and other forums in relation to turbo timers and the legality of them in Victoria and how Police use them as a point to defect a vehicle.

Rather than listen to internet heresay or misinformed persons, I have emailed Vicroads and obtained the actual information.

This is a copy of the request sent to Vicroads and the reply word for word. The only changes relate to the reformating of text to suit this forum and the removal of my email address for privacy.

To: <[email protected]>

cc:

01/07/2006 01:13AM Subject: Contact Us Message

Fax to:

Ext: Business Area:

Fax: Internet:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following message was sent from the Contact Us area of the Victoria

Roads Lsite:

Hi,

Cuold you please provide information relating to the fitment of Turbo Timer

devices to turbo chraged vehicles.

I would like to know the following

1 - are the devices legal?

2 - can a car pass roadworthy standands with a turbo timer fitted?

3 - is there special requirements such as parking brake safety sensor that

are required for the device to comply.

4 - where can i find a link to written information ( such as vicroads

modification guide) that details these points.

I would appreciate an answer Via email, especially to points 1 - 3.

Please reply to (Email address removed)

Thanks

The Answer received from Vicroads

To: (Email Address Removed)

cc:

Subject: Re:Contact Us Message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information is supplied in relation to the fitment of Turbo

Timer devices to turbo charged vehicles:

1. Yes, the devices are legal

2. Yes, a car can pass roadworthy standards with a turbo timer fitted

3. No specific requirements are required in relation to the fitting of a

turbo timer

4. The following link will provide you with further information:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/vsi%208.pdf

After going through the PDF - Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehiles - VSI 8, the relevant section is 3.3

I hope people find this helpful and I apologise if this post has been made before ( I searched got nothing).

Its legal to have them, no question. They come factory on some cars.

However, its illegal to leave a running vehicle unattended from what i understand.

I could be wrong. If someone can point to the law and its relevant clauses that would be good

I've not actually had to go to court over it, so i dont know specifics on it...

Im sure it will happen one day :/

As a Footnote the Victorian Road Safety Act 1986 v094 ( the latest) has no specific legislation ( or none that we could find) relating to turbo timers or leaving a vehicle unattended while parked with engine on.

It does make reference to unattended vehicles causing property damage, loss of life or injury. However this legislation applies to any vehicle regardless of engine running or not.

Legislation here.

http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_N.../86-127a094.pdf

It should also be noted that it is Victoria Police TMU procedure to not turn the engine off when exiting a vehicle to issue a fine or "other" operational requirement. They are told in plain english to leave the vehicles engine on.

Not being a lawyer myself, I wonder if anyone here with a Law degree would like to make comment.

i dont think leaving the car running is the issue.

as paul stated, and as has always been my understanding, the engine must not be running without the keys in the ignition.

so it kind of overrides the other law, and while the TT might be legal, if you have to be in the car while its running, then it kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

having said all that, i've got one...just need to get it installed :thumbsup:

Definately legal. We run them on trucks and are subject to very stringent regulations from Vic Roads. As others have said, its the removing of the key and exiting with it still running which is the issue and my understanding also.

Having said that, I dont see the need for one on a car. If you are not driving hard on boost right up until you stop, why do you need one? If I am coming home or arriving somewhere, I always drive off boost for 2 reasons. First is I dont want people around my work/home seeing me driving harder and earning me a bad reputation (not that I see myself as reckless at any point) and secondly, it winds the car down in preparation for parking. Don't $hit in your own backyard :thumbsup:

I thought that the law was you couldn't be more than 5 metres away from your car if it was still running... or was this SA?... or my imagination...

I guess its like speeding. Its not illegal to have a car that does 180 kph... its just illegal to take it there on public streets.

yep the ADR's clearly state a car must NOT operate with the keys removed.

vic roads and ADRs do not always agree. how stupid

maybe i should get my ignition barrel fixed then in the VL.

the laws are never clear cut and there is always room for ones interpretation.

one interpretation i have gone by for the past 5 years is that theyre illegal on the road, legal on the track. So having one fitted is not a defectable mod. When i got pulled over in the soarer the cop commented on it and i said i only use it when i go to calder and he was fine with it.

yep the ADR's clearly state a car must NOT operate with the keys removed.

vic roads and ADRs do not always agree. how stupid

Renault had a problem with one model - it used a security card and a push-button starter. But once the engine was started, you could remove the card (the "key", so to speak). That had to get a whole bunch of cars modified before they could be registered anywhere in Australia.

As saff_cossie said, why do you need one? If you simply drive sensibly for even 1km before stopping, it's not a problem. The race Sierras used to simply do a cool down lap of Sandown, pul into the garage and turn the engine off - no TTs there!

Renault had a problem with one model - it used a security card and a push-button starter. But once the engine was started, you could remove the card (the "key", so to speak). That had to get a whole bunch of cars modified before they could be registered anywhere in Australia.

As saff_cossie said, why do you need one? If you simply drive sensibly for even 1km before stopping, it's not a problem. The race Sierras used to simply do a cool down lap of Sandown, pul into the garage and turn the engine off - no TTs there!

That car was the Renault Laguna. I remember when they were launched with that card as it was the first European car to be awarded the EMCAT (or whatever the rating system is) 5 stars.

Thats where I got my driving to cool down, my sierra didnt have one so I just used to drive it hard on the motorways and run it at lower revs for the 5kms or so back to my house. I apply the same cool down theory to any turbo car I drive. :D

The law says something about the car must not be operational with the keys removed from the ignition.

But.....I believe, a car is NOT operational with the keys removed even if the engine is running, as the steering would be locked? there for undriveable.....and some cars rely on the keys being in the ignition for them to be taken out of park.....