SAU Community

Another Skyline Fatality

Ronin 09

See here

A teenage girl was killed and two men injured when their car slammed into a pole in Melbourne's north-west shortly after midnight (AEST), police said.

The car left the road at the corner of Johnstone Street and Ripplebrook Drive in Broadmeadows, careered down an embankment and hit the pole.

The 17-year-old girl was killed instantly, police said. The men, believed to be a 20-year-old Avondale Heights man and an 18-year-old Westmeadows man were taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital with minor injuries

Saw this on the news this morning - it's a white R34.

WHY? More evidence that for me that younger drivers should have better training before stepping into high power cars. Flame me, but people are dying. Not good enough.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree.

I got my licence after 5 hours in the hot seat, yes... just 5 hours and i could get it.

The system fails, and as a result everyone else is punished at the other end by the police, the problem needs to be fixed from the source.

VicRoads + licence testing

I say mandatory advanced driver training for new licence holders.

even 110 speed limit P plater vehicles, altho thats not realy practical.

Even expierienced drivers like myself make errors, last night I got out of shape accidently with my bro and sis in the car and I seriously didn't mean to (sister was realy pissed with me :) )

Saw this on the news this morning - it's a white R34.

WHY? More evidence that for me that younger drivers should have better training before stepping into high power cars. Flame me, but people are dying. Not good enough.

They shouldnt be in high powered vehicle in the first place, and dude if ur sticking to the speed limit at all times how the f**k can u stack the car?

"Police believe the man was the sole occupant of the car but, because of the damage, they would not be able to confirm that until the wreckage is prised from under the trailer."

eeew

It's not the high powered car, it's the bulletproof dickhead behind the wheel trying to impress everyone. Unfortunately the more power, and the less experience algorithm means the easier for said dickhead to demolish himself and innocent lives.

My answer? Driving ed in schools over 2 years, and if you don't get your license at school then you should pay for equivalent and extensive training yourself to the tune of $2-3K.

As for the speed limit question. That is the most ill informed noob question ever asked. The speed limit doesn't cover all weather and traffic conditions and unfortunately with the bare minimum experience expected of our young drivers they will continue to kill themselves.

More people die falling from ladders than on the roads. Don't see that in the news everytime someone has a fall.

My answer? Driving ed in schools over 2 years, and if you don't get your license at school then you should pay for equivalent and extensive training yourself to the tune of $2-3K.

As for the speed limit question. That is the most ill informed noob question ever asked. The speed limit doesn't cover all weather and traffic conditions and unfortunately with the bare minimum experience expected of our young drivers they will continue to kill themselves.

So say if they have done all the extensive driver training courses and next time a young driver picks up a 17 year old chick what makes u think they arent gonna try to impress them? A lot of people never learn and when theres other people in the car pressuring u or u wanna impress, shit still happens...

As for the speed limit question, its obvious u slow the f**k down in the rain, where as in normal driving conditions ive never had even a near miss if u go the speed limit and pay attention to whats going on!

Dry/Wet speed limits?

ie on the sign in BLUE for wet have 40 and in BLACK for dry it has 60.

I used to see this all the time in winter as a panel beater... idiots have been conditioned to driving in the dry for so long that as soon as it starts raining you can gurantee that the amount of crashes doubles. People forget their cars dont handle the same in the wet.

Its simple you wanna stop this then no p plate drivers should be allowed to drive any high powered car its harsh I no but we all no how easy it is to show of and things go wrong even driver training wont change the attitudes of these people maybe growing up will.

So say if they have done all the extensive driver training courses and next time a young driver picks up a 17 year old chick what makes u think they arent gonna try to impress them? A lot of people never learn and when theres other people in the car pressuring u or u wanna impress, shit still happens...

As for the speed limit question, its obvious u slow the f**k down in the rain, where as in normal driving conditions ive never had even a near miss if u go the speed limit and pay attention to whats going on!

Attitude is the hardest thing to teach. I spent several years doubling as a heavy vehicle and off road driving instructor.

And you're the one who said

and dude if ur sticking to the speed limit at all times how the f**k can u stack the car?

Well the speed limit is there for all seasons but exercising the brain is still mandatory and people still screw up. I've been crunched 5 times by other drivers and never once caused or had an accident that was my fault, except those I've had over 20 odd years of rallying and racing cars but 10/10ths means you will eventually screw up.

Sorry dude but I'm just picking on you for making one idiotic statement that I constantly get from soccer mum bimbos who haven't exercised a brain cell since year 4. Driving at the limit doesn't mean you will be safe, but there are people who think that.

Its simple you wanna stop this then no p plate drivers should be allowed to drive any high powered car its harsh I no but we all no how easy it is to show of and things go wrong even driver training wont change the attitudes of these people maybe growing up will.

Yeah cause they wont be able to kill themselves in a 3.8litre VN commo...

Cars dont matter... power wont matter... 335 people die on the road a year... of that 335 probably 70 are P platers and of that probably 15 of them are in "Hi Power" cars.

seriously... who cares... regardless cops are going to target these cars, no matter whos driving them and restricting them to "low power" cars isnt going to drop the amount of accidents dramatically.

What I hate is when they blame the car.

Drivers crash, well maintained cars do not cause a fatal crash by themselves.

It's funny, they call it accident investigation, but how many are really 'accidents' and how many are caused by the driver's errors?

So So sorry for the Young girl involved!

Another Bruracratic Nightmare for Skylines :P... Carisum I tell's YA

i was going to comment before about the underpowered Car thing in hind sight but held back and sure enuff someone said it above.

Its a mix of Speed V Equipment & Weight V Conditions V Concertration.

All things that tapper very fast one way or another depending on Ability or a sense of Conciquence..

If you could get a feeling of Conciquence in drivers and especialy Highpowered Car Drivers this might get better... But how???

Simple: People are idiots.

Ban P platers from driving in the rain? Nah, I agree with Ni and the rest when you say its too easy for people to get their licence.

I had heaps of friends who had only 4-5 hours driving experience when they got their P's. I had over 200 hours, and i still think i needed more.

The new licencing rules that are coming in will hopefully do something about this, apparently there is going to be a logbook where you have to chalk up 120 hours at least in different driving conditions.

And for the arguments sake there are corners and roads near where i living which i wouldnt dare drive AT the speed limit even in the dry. And thats in my skyline, i'd hate to see all the bogan 18 year olds in their VN S paks give it a shot.

Its been 8 and a half years since I got my license. For the past 6 years i have been driving nothing but Skylines, Supra's and Soarers. After having the experience with these cars, i now drive a GTR, even though it is AWD i still have that fear in the rain. These new drivers have the world full of confidence, and unfortunately, they wait for an event like this to hit reality.

I feel sorry for the family of that girl. I honestly dont think these young drivers will ever learn. Being in the import industry, our market is 90% young drivers on their P's, however I think this new law to ban them from driving powerful cars is a good thing for safety.

you managed to get a GTR out of shape on a public road???

riiight

I say mandatory advanced driver training for new licence holders.

even 110 speed limit P plater vehicles, altho thats not realy practical.

Even expierienced drivers like myself make errors, last night I got out of shape accidently with my bro and sis in the car and I seriously didn't mean to (sister was realy pissed with me :P )

RIP to the young girl, such a waste and a tragic way to go. :P

I had 45 lessons for before I got my licence which is 45 hours. I failed my test twice and passed third time. During those 45 hours over 4 months (which is very quick to go from never having been in a car to on the road solo), I was subject to very strict instruction in a variety of conditions with ONLY a professional instructor. My parents refused to take me out (we only had a suitable car during the last week of my learning anyway) as they wanted me to receive professional tuition.

I also had a passion for cars and still do so I used to study up, observe etc. It scares me when I see wishy washy drivers cowering behind the wheel intimidated by other road users and by the same token cocky arrogant drivers with little or no experience.

Some f'wit in a commonwhore yesterday as I was waiting to turn right, he was crossing the front of me from the left and had to wait for the traffic to clear, decided to do a huge burn out off down the road in front of numerous cars. Imagine if the wheels had found traction, where that would have sent him.

My parents as sad as it seems, actually bought a car the same as the driving instructors one to make the transition as seamless as possible (possibly slightly OTT but I now thank them).

BTW - Good works Hus.

RBN1, powerful cars are not impossible to get out of shape in some of the weather conditions here in Melbourne, see GTRGeoffs posts about conditions. With the long dry spells this country experiences, there are often a lot times with a film on the road from oil and grease as soon as it rains. Also please note how he recognises he isnt invincible and made a mistake and I am sure will learn from it.