SAU Community

Has this happened to you

Guest Boxhead

ahh when motorcyclists do that to me, i like to make sure i use all the lanes... if they have a problem with it, they should not be there.. simple as that... if there was a wide gape coz the 2 cars were on the outside of there lanes, and there was room for a car, the car wouldnt do it...

motorcyclists(well the ones around here anyway) seem to want to be treated like normal cars, when it suits them... not all the time, to me, if they want to be treated as equal road users, act like them, abide by the same time...

unfortunatly i beleive its the dodgy riders that ruin the reputation of them all

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to refrain from commenting in this thread, but here's a quick one before I head out tonight.

As annoying as it may be for a bike rider to split your lane and come dangerously close to scratching/leaning on your car, you have to remember ONE thing.

If you accidentally hit them whilst "racing them off the line", you're going to have to live with that for the rest of your life. There ain't no such thing as a "small accident" on a bike... You have no metal protecting you when you hit that asphalt, and hit it HARD.

Think about it... When they lane split, to the front of the grid, they're sitting about 0.5m from the bonnet of your car. What if you launch it and they don't? God forbid your rear end slides out and points your bonnet directly at the biker... You're gonna completely wipe them off the face of the planet.

Granted. It may be illegal to lane split, and FCUKING annoying, but it's also illegal to race them off the line because you don't like them doing it. Most importantly, it could be fatal for the bike rider.

Jeez take a pill guys. :P So what if some guy is in front of you? Last I looked Frank Williams was not recruiting at traffic lights.

Granted there are plenty of nobs out there who lane split with a "unique" style, but is it worth raising your pulse over?

Of course I am speaking from a rider's point of view. I rarely lane split and only do it once the traffic is stationary and there is plenty of room and only a few cars to pass. If I think it will put me in a better spot then I'll do it. I'll tell the same to the beak if I ever have to justify my actions.

haha its one of my favourite tricks :P

Cant say ive actually full on dragged a motorbike - i know theres no hope of me winning but a take off from the lights when they are doing there usual thing I'll always try to keep up just for fun plus i like the look on their faces when they try to get over and see me sitting in the lane hahaha nah its all good fun I dont do it because i think its annoying if i had a bike its exactly what i would do too!! They should look before they switch lanes anyway like the rest of us have too not just automatically assume!

Yeah I agree with Merli, it's dangerous enough racing in separate lanes, but lane split racing is VERY dangerous. That said, I still think it's ok to give it a little squirt when you take off. Just not too much.

I have no problems with them splitting lanes... only get real annoyed when ppl get pole position just to sit at the speed limit and hold you back.

ie your do 5-10 over and they get in front to stay on limit. ???

Come close. The hogs up here arent exactly as narrow as the honda's down in sydney.

Anyway i dont understand the argument over this because it is illegal to lane split full stop. There is NO situation where it is legal to do it, it is as stupid as the twits that weave in an out of lanes in peak hour traffic to get 20metres further ahead.

Oh yeah Merli say hi to ol' mate Penlington from me next time you see him.

R33NT, when you asked the police in perth did you state "is it legal when the traffic is STOPPED?". Because as per usual in Perth, the police have little idea about the law they enforce at times. Its the same thing with defect notices, they get those wrong all the time (Transport is sick to death of sending cars back out on the street without any problems, fortunately Engineers know best).

After consulting the traffic infringements listing, the drive safe handbook, WA road safety manual and making a few calls to inside sources at the Department of Planning and Infrastructure (formerly Transport), ive come up with NOTHING that points either way that theres anything against it being done in stopped traffic. There was a mention of it being illegal when the traffic was moving, which is a given.

Not going out of my way to prove you wrong, just getting the facts for a whole bunch of bike riders I associate with, just out of curiosity really. As far as weve known its always been a loophole in traffic law and motorcyclists have always gotten away with it, simply because they can. Not condoning it of course.

It doesnt bother me much anyway as long as the traffic isnt moving. And if the guy is riding a hog then lets face it, the bloody thing is too big for such manouveres anyway :D

Red17

Perth

RED17. When i talked to the police in WA they said that if the motor bike rider is riding down the centre line he is essentially creating a lane of his own which isnt there by being there. This is what they told me made it ILLEGAL.

But getting back to one of my earlier posts i could jump in a dirty big 4WD and drive up to the head of the line along the side embankment if i where to follow what you are saying. Because by what your statement anything is legal as long as the rest of the traffic is stationary. Fraid not.

Out of interest if someone popped a mono on a motor bike or did a burnout in "STATIONARY" traffic is that legal aswell??? If i started flashing the high beams on my car while i was stationary in traffic is that legal??? Can i get away with anything in traffic as long as the rest of traffic is stationary??

I hope you are starting to realise how ridiculous what you are saying is.

I realise you are not condoning this but to say that it is not illegal (ie there is a loophole) is wrong.

FYI i have dual degrees, one of which is an engineering degree so yes i do agree with the statement engineers know best. We most certainly do :D

No i'm not saying that you can do anything as long as the traffic is stationary. I'm just stating that in relation to motorcycles doing this there doesnt appear to be any actual LAW stating the specific action of riding between stationary traffic is illegal in WA.

Dont jump of the deep end mate, your 4wd statement is entirely something different, because the embankment isnt part of the road!

I never stated or even implied that ANYTHING (eg: burnouts and wheelies) was legal when done in stationary traffic, so please dont twist my words around for the sake of your argument.

A loophole is a loophole. Thats what makes it legal. How can that be wrong?

And while im at it...

"Because by what your statement anything is legal as long as the rest of the traffic is stationary" <--- thats some sentence for a lad with 2 degree's.

Red17

1 Degree, And a Life

PS: Lock it, im bored.

used to ride a bike

used to lane split

nearly got killed lane splitting more than once

sold the bike

bought a skyline

y fight over it 4? either way, legal or not, its dangerous to the rider, and due caution should be exercised by the driver. be the bigger man (or woman) and let it slide if a rider does it to u. its not, as merli said, worth knocking someone off their bike just cause ur pi$$ed that they chopped u. of all the stoooopid stuff to get worried/got to jail/potentially injure someone over, this would have to be the stupidest...

my 1.42JPY

Just wanted to make put in my 2cents. I have never, NEVER in my life had a motorbike sit behind my car, going the speed limit. They are always waiting for the first opportunity to overtake.

It really annoys me, I don't really know why.

Any ways, I can't wait to get a bike licence, I love high power jap bikes and will own a hyabusa one day, parked next to my GTR.

Greg.

Red17.

You said that it was not illegal to lane split in stopped traffic!

I thought the point of these forums was to NOT condone illegal activity.

This isnt intended to be a personal attack in anyway (i know people will see it as one though) i am simply curious as to what degree a "Mac Op" has since you highlighted you had a degree?

yeah, i hate bikes coming past my car within a few inches.

u guys have no chance against anyhting 500cc and over.

not inclucidng shitta bikes.

most bikes are pretty quick about 14secconds.

then u get into faster bikes which are about 9-10sec r1s or hayabusa.

most people dont know how fast these bikes really are. and most of the riders dont give them all throttle, cause their unable to control it.

Originally posted by R33NT

RED17. When i talked to the police in WA they said that if the motor bike rider is riding down the centre line .... This is what they told me made it ILLEGAL.  

Now it's probably changed, but the law in NSW had nothing about lane splitting as long as the traffic was stationary and you didn't cross back and forth across the line.

...Can i get away with anything in traffic as long as the rest of traffic is stationary??

Check your local laws.:D

I hope you are starting to realise how ridiculous what you are saying is.

:(

I realise you are not condoning this but to say that it is not illegal (ie there is a loophole) is wrong.

Maybe not...

FYI i have dual degrees...:D

FYI, I have a 2 into 1 system :(

Another guy that has both a car and a bike here. Some of you guys are taking a VERY one-eyed approach.

I have never, NEVER in my life had a motorbike sit behind my car, going the speed limit. They are always waiting for the first opportunity to overtake

That'll be because we're all suicidal loonies, and we'll do anything we can to endanger as many lives as possible :D Of course I overtake cars from time to time, but that's because they're being driven at 10-20km/h under the speed limit. I, and most bikers I know, are perfectly happy to just cruise along with the traffic for the vast majority of the time. Out of the hundreds of bikers I've met, there have been perhaps three psychos. Compare that to the number of psychopathic/underskilled car drivers - in general, bikers tend to have a greater sense of self-preservation, with a few notable exceptions.

I can honestly say (being on BOTH sides of the fence here) that car drivers are generally far worse than bike riders. Attitudes like

i like to make sure i use all the lanes

just because someone has the audacity to use a space (albeit illegally) are stupid. Is doing something potentially very dangerous justified because someone else is doing something harmless but illegal/annoying? I think not. I'm not talking about the knobs that ride so close to the cars that they risk doing damage, or the ones that doing it moving traffic, just your run-of-the-mill "ride up the middle" guys.

I very rarely lane split - only when the cars in front have demonstrated previously that they will either take off incredibly slowly, or I believe that staying behind/near them may be hazardous to my health (erratic/dangerous driving etc). Don't tell me that you haven't met people like this in your car and wished you could get past... I know I have.

Another thing that I hear all the time is guys on bikes using the outside lane on a stopped highway to go around the traffic. What's wrong with that?? The only reason most car drivers get shìtty about it is because they're stuck in the traffic and can't do the same thing. Again, I'm not talking about the idiots that do 100km/h inches from stopped cars, but if there's a perfectly safe alternative to sitting in a traffic jam (and contributing to it) then I'll take it. I have been in many, many traffic jams in my car watching bikes go past, and thought "lucky bastards" :)

On a side note, the vast majority of car drivers that think they're "keeping up" with a big bore sportsbike get a rude shock when it changes back three or four gears and takes off :P