SAU Community

Tyre Shop Munched My Tyre

D-limo

Had the local tyre shop remove my Falken Azenis tyre from my bent front wheel the other day... Only noticed when I got home that there was some pretty significant dammage to the sealing edge of the tyre, the worst being a tear along the inside edge of around 15 cm's!

I was watching them do it and it looked like they were having a bit of trouble trying to crack the bead, or what ever its called when the use the hydroic claw thingo. There was also some light gauging left on the rim band.

Their excuse is along the lines of "How do you know it wasn't like that beforehand" and

"The tyre was under sized for the rim" < WTF? Why did you touch it if you couldn't gaurentee the tyre wouldn't be damaged.

What do I do? Try come to a deal with the tyre shop where I end up with a matching pair of perfomance R18/235/40 tyres? Can't see that happening..

Office of fair trading?

unfortunatley they are probably right! you can't prove that the tyre wasn't damaged when it was put on the rim, i have personally put cuts in beads of tyres attempting to get them on rims and they have still inflated and been fine, so unless you saw them damage it....

R18/40/235 stretched over a 10 inch rim. Tear runs along the inside of the bead. Also a small tear on the sealing edge around 1.5cm's.

If it was my mums Mirage I would have let it fly, but these tyres are big $$$ new, tread is around 60-70%

Sorry yeah no digicam atm..

Edited by Drift_Limo

I reckon a 235 on a 10" rim is pushing it a bit. 235s sit nicely on 8s, and should be OK on 9s, but 10s...

How do you know the damage to the rim didn't also damage the tyre?

"The tyre was under sized for the rim" < WTF? Why did you touch it if you couldn't gaurentee (guarantee!) the tyre wouldn't be damaged
Which did you want more - the rim fixed or the tyre undamaged?

your not actually sposed to put 235/40R18 on a 10" rim. anything they do cant be guaranteed, they should've told you this first. but i dont think theres anything you can do about it.

they may be able to put some bead sealer on the damaged area, but it depends on how bad the damage is

I reckon a 235 on a 10" rim is pushing it a bit. 235s sit nicely on 8s, and should be OK on 9s, but 10s...

The right hand front holds pressure fine, as do the rears running 245/40's on 11's

How do you know the damage to the rim didn't also damage the tyre?

15cm tear inside the bead is unlikely

Which did you want more - the rim fixed or the tyre undamaged?

Umm.. I would expect anyone earning money to work on any part of my car to not damage it :D Wouldn't you?

your not actually sposed to put 235/40R18 on a 10" rim. anything they do cant be guaranteed, they should've told you this first. but i dont think theres anything you can do about it.

they may be able to put some bead sealer on the damaged area, but it depends on how bad the damage is

Yeah this what I mean, there was no warning..

How good is this bead sealer stuff?

I didn't ask about whether the tyres held pressure or not; I was simply stating an opinion that I believed 235 tyres on a 10" rim was not an appropriate combination.

I did not ask about the likelihood of it having happened, I asked how you knew it didn't; and the answer is "you don't".

If what they are claiming is true, then no (reputable) tyre place would have even contemplated removing the tyre for fear of damaging it. In that case, you would be stuck with a tyre AND wheel that would have to be tossed. Which did you want more - the wheel fixed or the tyre undamaged?

I didn't ask about whether the tyres held pressure or not; I was simply stating an opinion that I believed 235 tyres on a 10" rim was not an appropriate combination.

In wich case your opinion means nothing to me..

I did not ask about the likelihood of it having happened, I asked how you knew it didn't; and the answer is "you don't".

Another unconstructive comment.. No I don't know, but judging by the trouble they had at cracking the bead, and the fact that they used the two different exuses, one being the tyre size as a fault. Wich brings us to your next point. You will find you are contridicting yourself somewhat, in that this tyre place is what you would call unreputable.

If what they are claiming is true, then no (reputable) tyre place would have even contemplated removing the tyre for fear of damaging it. In that case, you would be stuck with a tyre AND wheel that would have to be tossed. Which did you want more - the wheel fixed or the tyre undamaged?

the bead sealer (pretty much a glue) is very effective with smaller imperfections on the bead, weve used it a lot at my work (tyrepower). but for something 15cm long, im not sure... you could get another place to give it a go.

tell them that its only for track work though, cos they dont really like doin stuff like that.

i dont see how they would've had so much trouble breakin the bead though, ive got 235/40R18s on 10" rims and the bead is incredibly easy to break

In wich case your opinion means nothing to me..

Another unconstructive comment.. No I don't know, but judging by the trouble they had at cracking the bead, and the fact that they used the two different exuses, one being the tyre size as a fault. Wich brings us to your next point. You will find you are contridicting yourself somewhat, in that this tyre place is what you would call unreputable.

if his opinion means nothing to you why did you post this thread at all? just to let people know you have a case of the sads because some guy trying to work on your rim may (or may not) have damaged your half worn second hand tyre?

seriously, you are not going to get anything from the tyre shop. that is clear. just get over it. buy a new tyre and resolve yourself to never go back to that place again.

c'mon mate.

Umm.. I would expect anyone earning money to work on any part of my car to not damage it :) Wouldn't you?

Yeah I agree...

Yeah this what I mean, there was no warning..

How good is this bead sealer stuff?

No bead sealer will SUCCESFULLY fix a tear in a bead. and here in adelaide we refer to tyrepower as Captain Snooze, every tyre power store I contact or know of people going to the untrained owners and managers are always in a daze or even in some cases asleep (Hackham Store) for most of the day. But try bead sealer but to be honest silicon has better holding qualities than 99% of the bead sealers on the market. we normally only put them over patches from puncture repairs and also around beads on trailer rims when they just will not stop leaking cos of rust issues.

235's are a little small for a 9 inch rim they are mainly made for 7.5 - 8.5 inch rims, but they still go on 9" rims ok, and even if a tyre place did blame damage on the size of the tyre on a wider rim, wouldnt you assume that is the 235 is too small for the rim that it would then make it easier to take off the rim as it wouldnt need as much work to get off? Only my personal thought, but dont ask me, i only manage a tyre business and have been fitting tyres from 6x3 inch rims to 26x15 inch rims for the last 9 years.

a tear on the inside of the bead normally means that the tyre was pulled the wrong way when it was being taken off, or it was hooked on a sharp bit of the damaged rim, if the rim had no sharp bits on it, being a low profile tyre, and someone with little experiance in fitting such sizes, then it would make me believe that the person tried to remove the tyre incorrectly. as there is no other way to get a tear in the inside of the bead. cos damage mounting a tyre would be on the outside of the bead, due to the way that a tyre is fitted...

and yes the last comment posted by Beer Baron is correct, the likely hood of getting something from a reputable tyre company for damaging a tyre that is second hand on a damaged rim is very very small, if at most you may be lucky enough that they will do a better price on a new one for you.. it is a very hard thing to prove that they did damage it, and that someone else that may or may not of taken the tyre off to repair it in the past could of damaged it. you cannot prove it.. but goodluck and i hope my opinion did answer some of your questions.

Edited by DaFuca

sorry dude, but 235 is way too big for a 7" rim. it can be done, but really shouldnt be. according to the tyre manufacturers, 235s should go on an 8.5" rim, and they will then sit dead flush with the rim. 235 on a 9 is just a tiny bit stretched.

drift limo: are your rims upside-down rims? if they are, beads get ripped tryin to strip tyres off when theyre not mounted on the machine upside down.

just a thought

Does the tyre leak now? I would get the rim fixed or replaced and then see if you can find someone to fit the tyre to the rim, and check if it holds air, you may be freaking out for nothing.

a tear on the inside of the bead normally doesnt mean the end of the world for tyres, normally just makes them more interesting to get seated on the bead of the rim.

I'd find out if it is stuffed or not before you worry about getting another tyre.

Thanks heaps for the input fella's... I'm actually more worried about the 1.5cm tear wich looks to be on the sealing point of the bead..

Update with pics hopefully when I get the rim back in a week or so..

btw just been looking on the Falken site and the approved rim width for Azenis st115 235/40R18 is 8.0-9.5

btw just been looking on the Falken site and the approved rim width for Azenis st115 235/40R18 is 8.0-9.5

yeah that sounds about right. but 10 inch is still bigger than 9.5 inch. I'm running 235 on a 9 inch and even they look too small for the rim.

235/45 on 17x9

IMG_0368.jpg

215/45 on 17x9

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

If I ran a tyre shop I would put 235s on 9" because they bead easily and they come off sort of easily.

Personally I run 215 because they look better and allow me to have the wheels sticking out where

I like them, a matter of taste more than anything. But you can't get the wheels sitting nicely with some

tyres "correctly" bulging over the sides.

flush.jpg

Not my car, but what I consider "nice"...

wouldnt you assume that is the 235 is too small for the rim that it would then make it easier to take off the rim as it wouldnt need as much work to get off?

Spot on, I run 215 on 9" and they usually come off easily!

I suspect they will have torn the bead from the tyre slipping over the damaged section

of wheel when they were unmounting it.

Tyre machines are horrible things! Levers, old skool is the way to go!

http://www.fulllock.com/Laurence/mount_tyre.wmv

This was the first time I have done it with levers so don't be too hard on my technique!

Edited by Laurence