SAU Community

The Automatic Performance Thread

Use launch control / traction control with the transbrake ?

I have only a couple of times ever been able to stall up enough to get off the line reasonably quick with the ET streets... think there was some vht down ! (R33's have VERY weak rear brake bias it seems ...im looking into an upgrade valve for master)

So i am going to try launch controll to get boost up, then limit slip as it moves off..... not having the timing into it at launch to get the boost up means the powers right down i am struggling to hold of the line.... The converter should flare more on launch as timing comes back in. Mike at MV auto says it should work ok.

My trip to Cairns this weekend is cancelled due to the Cyclone, however i doubt the street meet will be on anyway..... was hoping to go see what mph i could get to gague current performance.

Im going to plumb the ext Link 2.5bar sensor (as used on old GTST Link ecu as main load) into the turbo cover. This will get me total pressure loss across piping and intercooler..

Once done there i will plumb it into the exhaust manifold at the collector to gague Turbine Inlet Pressure. (abeilt using a longer bit of hose !)

This should give me the vital info i need to work out if either end is restrictive ! ...... If not , then i move onto cam timing, SPARK power, and Converter.

Gary

Edited by Fastrotor

Gary the magic brown plug fixes all

surely you have read my posts on the brown plug?

behind the drivers head light there are 3 eletrical plugs

when you disconect the brown one it locks the trans in 3rd.

so reverse onto the dyno, open bonnet, unplug brown connector, put in drive, and away you go in 3rd gear.

obviously it stalls up a bit cause your taking of in 3rd but it cant possibly kik back on you as its locked in.

so its easy to tune all the light load points as well.

;)

Darren

dangerman4

Does this locking in third work for r32 ???

Cheers

So then using launch control that just slowly raises the rev limit would be ok since its not "reactive" , just a constant rpm increase from launch rpm limit to full rpm limit ?? If not also... then why not just play with boost level on transbrake to find a sweet spot tyres can handle ? Are you allowed boost control per gear ???

Gary

So then using launch control that just slowly raises the rev limit would be ok since its not "reactive" , just a constant rpm increase from launch rpm limit to full rpm limit ?? If not also... then why not just play with boost level on transbrake to find a sweet spot tyres can handle ? Are you allowed boost control per gear ???

Gary

Gradually raising the rev limit is fine but there's little that's gradual about constantly hitting it. I let go of the transbrake at 8psi and it just spun. I'll be making some changes to get these tyres to hook but letting go of it at less than a pissy 8psi aint one of them.

I am allowed boost control in any form I like as long as it isn't reactionary.

R33 GT 4 Door Rb26Dett

Apexi PFC

1Bar

non-turbo 5speed auto

kevlar clutches, modded by MV Automatics

2800rpm stall

M/T Drag radials

The rest is stock GTR, even the exhaust

11.8ET

~260rwkw

Mini Update.

I plumbed the 2nd map sensor into the turbo comp cover outlet and logged the difference between that and the manifold, and there is not much difference at all. For the most part they track very close, and at the top the manifold actually goes a little bit higher than the turbo, not sure if its technially possible (possible due to temp drop from cooler) , but its most likley a small calibration difference.

So either way, cooler and 2.5" piping is FINE.

Next step is wiring in the 100psi sensor and a long hose to the exhaust manifold........

Gary

I did the first test fit of my custom auto gearbox controller last night, and had a few probs, so it gave me a chance to measure and recheck all the parameters of the solenoids and various switches etc etc , and also work out what two wires were i somehow missed the first time i went through it... So a fair few hardware mods to the pcb today and a rewrite of the basic software and i tried again tonight. Went better this time, but needs alot of software changes yet. But this time it selected gears correctly and set line pressure as well.

I'm just making it full manualised for now, just to get it working and to see what the box likes etc .... once all sorted i'll go into the full auto side of it.

I've setup the "snowmode" switch to be able to switch on the lockup clutch once in 3rd or overdrive. Boy it kicks in fast ! Can't wait to try a blast in 3rd when i lock it up !!

I've mentioned it before, but for those that don't know, my circuit board is a perfect match for the factory one in size and shape, so it fits inside the factory housing. I just desolder the factory blue header connector off the board and onto mine, and this makes it a plug and play application !

I bought all the adaptors for the pressure sensor (1/4 bsp) to be able to hook into exhaust, and also a T setup for later on logging fuel pressure , but was too tired to plumb it in tonight.

Gary

Its not a skyline but its about teh same weight as a well stripped out skyline and everything else is suited to this thread.

RB30/26, TH400, reverse pattern, transbrake, 5500 stall

1100+whp

Best 60ft 1.25

0-100kph in 1.7 sec

1/4 mile 8.05 @ 172.39 mph with previous tune restricted by small injectors.

Rob

Haha ok Rob, you win ! By a long way ! Very impressive mate.

I've mounted the barb into the HKS manifold ready to log once i get time.

I did get a quick chance tonight to pull the cam pulley cover off and verify cam timing. I pulled no1 plug and checked TDC was aligning with the factory mark correctly too. Alas, its all aligned spot on.... so scratch that one too.

I did look at cam through the oil filler, and it had a big "N" on it in white marker , and the big scollop was all white inside it too... this a factory marking ?

Gary

Went down to the drags last Wednesday. Unfortunately I only got one run in, somehow the sump split and it dropped a heap of oil at the end of the pass, but I got the time slip so may aswell post details

1973 HQ 4 door weighing 1690kg with driver (me = 90kg)

RB25, was running 15psi @ 256kw, 3600rpm hi stall (didnt stall on this run though) KEAS full manual V/B

12.9 @ 111mph

2.4 60' time - which was a little disappointing

Street tyres, traction issues in 1st gear but nothing too serious

So, when I take it down next time hopefully I can drop 60' time down to 1.9ish and maybe run a very very low 12. Will see what happens!

rb wtf say that again..

but that time is quicker then a old mates 350 chev hz with all the whistles....

good on you for doing it.

Haha yeah cheers. Hence the reason for using an RB25 :D RB power haha.

Went down to the drags last Wednesday. Unfortunately I only got one run in, somehow the sump split and it dropped a heap of oil at the end of the pass, but I got the time slip so may aswell post details

1973 HQ 4 door weighing 1690kg with driver (me = 90kg)

RB25, was running 15psi @ 256kw, 3600rpm hi stall (didnt stall on this run though) KEAS full manual V/B

12.9 @ 111mph

2.4 60' time - which was a little disappointing

Street tyres, traction issues in 1st gear but nothing too serious

So, when I take it down next time hopefully I can drop 60' time down to 1.9ish and maybe run a very very low 12. Will see what happens!

There is a pic of your car in the latest "Boost" magazine isnt there ? Looks fantastic ! Super impressed.

Gary

Just another update.

I've finally got the sensor plumbed in to measure Turbine Inlet Pressure. I did some testing last night and by the results, the average MIP to TIP ratio is about 2:1

This is while not running full boost (20psi). The boost control in the LINK G4 is currently open loop, and i didnt bother messing with it to get back to 20....

Going on the injector duty cycle max of 63%, shows its abit lower than the full power 73% inj duty on dyno.

So its only going to get worse when full boost is run.

This points to my problem i'd say, why im just flattening off in the power stakes. So i have a decision to make.

Whether to go to a .82 A/R housing, or go to a larger turbine wheel and keep the .63.

Currently have the T03 Stage 3 turbine, and i could move up to the new F1 series turbonetics wheels.....

Going to speak to John at Turbo Supplies today !

Here is an Excel spreadsheet with my logged data, and the graph all setup to show TIP vs MIP plus other parameters of interest.

Im not sure how it compares to others (im sure those who log could work it out), but when doing the run, i calculated from the data i did 12Kph to 146Kph in 8.64 sec . Would this be reasonably quick ?

I also did ALOT of calcs, to figure out i traveled 163 meters in that time. (assuming i got it right!)

I hope to dyno it again soon, to firstly try out the auto in 3rd, with and without the LOCKUP clutch on. And also then i can get a full boost run to measure TIP again.

Gary

TIP Testing.xls

I should be able to detail my build and power figures later in the week. Injectors are getting flow tested and cleaned today which will hopefully be the only problem.

First Dyno:

185rwkw with:

Nistune VG30 chip

HKS Fuel Pump

Turbosmart Fuel Reg

3" Turbo back Exhaust

Apexi AVCR

Hybrid FMIC

Standard Turbo on 13 psi

Apexi Pod

Car is getting Hi Flow turbo, z32 Air flow meter, 550cc injectors, front facing plenum, high mount with runners so as to not effect response. Should be done by the end of this week I will post up dyno graphs as soon as I got em in my hands.

185rwkw with:

FMIC

NISTUNE

standard turbo

hks fuel pump

turbosmart fuel reg

apexi pod

avcr boost controller

on 13 psi

getting mroe work done this week so will post up dyno chart etc.

work getting done is

hi mount front facing plenum with runners as to not kill response

hypergear hi flow turbo

550cc injectors

z32 AFM

hopeing for 230rwkw's plus but we will see what happens.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not and if its applicable with you guys, but,

proven Honeywell Aero turbine tech dictates a ten cm STRAIGHT intake to the turbo inducer for best flow characteristics if possible.