SAU Community

How do you guys afford such nice cars?!

worked and saved for it :D i did get a loan, but had a lot of it saved as well. and the repayments on the loan are ridiculously low. so its really not an issue. could pay it off if i was on the dole!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cook drugs, smoke drugs and if they are good sell them. That makes ends meet everyday!

The downside is if you f**k it up someone in the game might kill you and if they dont the drugs will one day anyway!

Just save the dollars, get educated and find or work your way to a decent job.

I'm in Finance; money is good, lifestyle is ummm questionable :D  Pretty relaxed literally playing with money all day long :D (pity it's not all mine)

How did I afford my car?

1) Save up a healthy $15k in disposable income (for random crap)

2) Do research into the car, finance and insurance. There are a lot of competitors out there who want your business.

3) Have a set plan in place for budget (in line with your pay frequency)

4) Keep a straight head when modifying your car.

That's about it.

Any of you guys know of an easy way into IT?  Sounds interesting from reading what you guys do :D

S

Ha! Was going to ask for an easy way into finance as I am in IT! Sounds like a trade could be on the cards.

I am an IT Manager for one of the larger haulage firms and on a good package. Lot of responsibility and on call permanently but they are flexible if I need time off. I also run my own IT/Consulting business on the side.

Dont own a skyline but do have a 34K Lexus. Budgeting is definately the key. I live with my girlfriend but we dont go out much and eat in every night.

I am extremely impressed with the discipline shown by the forum users on here for saving and buying property for what is typically a young group of people. Well done people :)

I am extremely impressed with the discipline shown by the forum users on here for saving and buying property for what is typically a young group of people. Well done people  :D

how the hell do some of u guys manage a house and car loan being only 22yo ? do u earn like 60grand+ a yr or something ?

not being rude or anything, i've just finished uni(23yo) and earn around 36grand a yr. with the amount im bring home, i've only got enough to cover rent, car loan, food etc. :D

You need more than $35k to be able to afford a house as well.. but generally if you have a partner and all the rest.. who at least is earning some decent money, thats a 50% split of everything.. and its stable over time. That can be close to $80k a year.

Generally I reckon these days if you and your partner earn around $40k a year you'll be fairly comfortable and be able to afford a 'mid spec' type car such as an R34 gtt, GTR or something around $20-30k without having to make massive sacrifices. That's often only $150 a year over 4 years or something.

Most people just get personal loans, they are freely given these days. Just have a job for even just a few months, and no big credit card debt or anything and they'll give you up to $20k pretty damn easy. Paid off a previous loan, have a bit of money in the bank, it's even easier.

Most of my friends around my age (late 20's) can afford a 300k house, 1 decent car, and a semi-decent one for the 2nd car with both partners earning from $30-40k a year. But they're all couples.

The key is budgeting. Make sure that you only spend on things you really need and it also helps if your partner is understanding of your addiction for cars....

Then depending on your earnings/expenses and future prospects, you make the appropriate purchase.

For example, i first owned a mirage then a civic before I could gather enough funds to get a 300zx. Made smart decision with my purchases to get a car that wasn't too expensive at first (honda) and wouldn't cost a fortune to run and maintain. then with enough cash in hand I took out a loan and paid it off quick smart to get a good credit rateing.

also learn to service it yourself... you save a fortune doing it....

You need more than $35k to be able to afford a house as well.. but generally if you have a partner and all the rest.. who at least is earning some decent money, thats a 50% split of everything..  and its stable over time.  That can be close to $80k a year.

Generally I reckon these days if you and your partner earn around $40k a year you'll be fairly comfortable and be able to afford a 'mid spec' type car such as an R34 gtt, GTR or something around $20-30k without having to make massive sacrifices. That's often only $150 a year over 4 years or something.

Most people just get personal loans, they are freely given these days. Just have a job for even just a few months, and no big credit card debt or anything and they'll give you up to $20k pretty damn easy. Paid off a previous loan, have a bit of money in the bank, it's even easier.

Most of my friends around my age (late 20's) can afford a 300k house, 1 decent car, and a semi-decent one for the 2nd car with both partners earning from $30-40k a year. But they're all couples.

haha yeh, partner :D. unfortunately, my gf is still at uni finishing off her degree(shes 2yrs younger than me).

being 23, i guess im still young and "just" entered the "real world". plently of payrises in the future :D.

what you said about everything 50/50 is true. i have the deposit for the house, but i currently do not have the funds for the repayments, lol. guess i'll wait for my gf to graduate and see how things go from there.

Yeah another IT dude here, I'm a TSR for an Accounting software company. This is my second job since I finished Uni 2years ago. I paid my GTS25t in cash while I was still a second year uni student. I don't live at home. The key is if you really want something, you will have to work hard to achieve that goal. My goal at that time was to buy a skyline. Therefore, I worked 2jobs, paying bills and other living expenses without the aid of parent or ausStudy. I kept the car stock while I was at Uni, now I have some $ I can start modding it or saving up for a house. When u work hard for something, u will apperiate it more. and yeah IT jobs pay is sh.it

Left school before HSC, I had a terrible family life, Worked dead end jobs for 10 years...

Started my own IT business 18 months ago and it all went well for the first 12 months and then fell over. I am earning nothing now and have been for the last 6 months. I refuse to go on the dole.

I Own about 10G worth of stuff and owe the bank about 10G

It's Time for some MAJOR change in my life. I just got married a year ago and we are moving in with my wifes pearents so we can save everything we can for a few years towards a house. She has a great job and her salary will only go up from now on.

I am at 30 going to get my life on track. I am going back to study part time and work in a $35,000 ~ $40,000 job.

I am also spending my spare time Inventing...

I have had a fantastic time over the past 10 years, no responsability, sevral fast cars, lots of drugs,... But it all gets very hollow when you realise you have nothing to show for it...

I have spent the last 10 years worrying about money and I NEVER want to have to worry about money ever again.

I am not going to buy another car or spend money on any toys for years and years.

At least I have realised this at 30 and not 50. I feel like my life is about to start and I am very lucky :)

I used to work on cars in my garage on the weekends for extra $'s which paid for the mods on my car. It was actually really cool cause I got to meet heaps of people, make money, the customer got work at a good price from an HONEST mechanic, and they got the choice of hanging around and watching their car being worked on or even hopping on a creeper and rolling under the car to watch or even help ( very limited occasions :D ).

Unfortunately all that came to a stop when I let all my customer's know that I was going to be away on holiday's for 2 weeks. Came home after the holidays to find the garage had been broken into and heaps of stuff was stolen.

I don't mod my car much now & no more track days etc etc. Once bitten....... Now I just try to keep it running sweet :)

Oh, and I don't work in IT :(.

The way I see it, cars are my thing, i pour all of my finances into my car. Other people like blowing their money on clubbing, shopping or holidays. Different people have different priorities.

I have earnt alot more than my mates have (even though alot of them had their parents pay 1/2 of their cars, i paid all of mine). I worked solidly for a while in the lead up to my car, just packing everything away. I saved for aprox 4 years, christmas money, birthday money, jobs, chores around the house, slowly it grows. I was surprised at how easy it was.

I used to work on cars in my garage on the weekends for extra $'s which paid for the mods on my car. It was actually really cool cause I got to meet heaps of people, make money, the customer got work at a good price from an HONEST mechanic, and they got the choice of hanging around and watching their car being worked on or even hopping on a creeper and rolling under the car to watch or even help ( very limited occasions :D ).

Unfortunately all that came to a stop when I let all my customer's know that I was going to be away on holiday's for 2 weeks. Came home after the holidays to find the garage had been broken into and heaps of stuff was stolen.

I don't mod my car much now & no more track days etc etc. Once bitten....... Now I just try to keep it running sweet :)

Oh, and I don't work in IT :(.

that sucks dude... sorry to hear it.

it's always the way though eh, you help people as much as you can and get f*cked over for it in the end...

that sucks dude... sorry to hear it.

it's always the way though eh, you help people as much as you can and get f*cked over for it in the end...

Cheers.

I honestly never even considered that it would happen amoungst car enthusiasts but there's always one low life prick who screws things up for the rest.

I actually used to get a kick out of seeing the owners face when he/she would start the car up in my garage with a new 3" zorst fitted. Lots of :(:):D 's

Was also fun modding cars and not a cent coming out of MY pocket :D

Interesting read. I'm starting out in IT too on the network side, most of the other guys I work with own WRX's and I wanted to be different.

I saved up 2/3rds for the car and the rest was a personal loan

Its not that hard, imports are (relatively) cheap, no wife or kids. I live at home too for now and bought a unit off the plan two years ago. I agree you're only young once and I wanted to own a turbo before I get the old ball and chain later on

These days Jap imports aren't big money at all, unless it's like a R34 GTR or equivalent.

Also, I think you'll find that the majority of people on this forum are in some sort of IT related industry, hence their presence on these forums.

In reality, many people can afford these cars in various industries, but most people don't find it practical or feasible to invest in import cars.

For example, my Dad can't grasp the concept of an R34 GTR, he looks at me and says "80 thousand dollars...Nissan....80 thousand dollars....Nissan what the?"

Just as buying a 90 model GTR for 20-25k seems like lunacy to many others.

Fortunately jap imports aren't exclusive cars for the rich man (there are exceptions as we all know!) these days, they're pretty much a car your average joe can afford.

Peace.

cook drugs, smoke drugs and if they are good sell them. That makes ends meet everyday!

The downside is if you f**k it up someone in the game might kill you and if they dont the drugs will one day anyway!

Just save the dollars, get educated and find or work your way to a decent job.

werd :)

Gee does this thread make me feel old. I remember reading this thread back on 03. :)

Only advice I can give is don't max out your budget on a car and be realistic about it. You WILL go through tough times. I sold my GTR now and drive a toymotor. But the lifesyle I have now is a lot better. Before money use to fall into that endless money pit (the GTR) but now I invest heavily and have a few appartments in Sydney and Cairns. One day when I've got enough money assets behind me I'll buy that Porsche.

BTW, is Prank still pimping? I want to get that Porsche sooner. :lol: