SAU Community

Replacement Factory Key

My car key is really worn out to the point where it only sometimes works in the locks. its the same on both doors, boot and ignition.

Rather than replace all the barrels as they are still fine can you get a replacement key from Nissan? the key has a number on it can a key be orgered for it and how much? or is there anywhre that can cut me a replacement to the original specs?

the car is an import. so don't know how helpful nissan australia will be.

Any one had any experience with this?

You are actually able to just get the key cut at any GOOD key cutter..

DON'T GO TO SHITTY KEY SHOP IN A MALL..

I went to 2 - one of which refused to cut it becuase they kept telling me my R33 one had an immobiliser chip in it (which they don't) and the other said "it won't work, but i'll do it anyway) - he did a shit job and surprise surprise it didn't work..

Look up a decent locksmith that you can go into and get it cut, otherwise - get nissan to blueprint it off the key id and they can get it cut I believe.. mine cost $7 from a security store..

Edited by Links

yeah I had one cut in a mall. did not work. at least worked occasionally.

the nissan blueprint sounds the go I have the key number so should be sweet. has any one had nissan do a key for them?

Had the same issue with my 34 because it only came with one key (has chip in it) when I imported it. Went to Nissan dealerships which was a waste of time, one even offered to get me a copy from Jap for $400. All you need is like the others have said, go to a GOOD key cutting place and they should be able to find the right length blank and a copy. The problem I encounted with those ones located in the malls are that the length of their blanks arent long enough. EVEN if you have a chip in your key a copy one will still work (providing you have an aftermaket immobiliser?), because mine did at the end of the day only cost me $7.

Just take your existing key to a locksmith. He shouldn't have any problems cutting you a fresh key.

Is the key that you have now an original nissan key?

If so there should be a number on it which usually consists of a letter and/or four numbers eg. X1234. Nissan codes have an X before the numbers usually.

If you have that code, you don't even need to bring your key in, but bring it in anyway just to make sure.....

Even if you don't have the code, he should be able to 'read' the cuts on your worn key and cut you a new one.

Don't go to the guys that in the middle of the mall who can fix you shoes while your at it. Go to a locksmith.

If you go to a dealership, they could end up charging you extra on top of what the locksmith charged them, or they might order a genuine key blank which isn't cheap and totally unecessary.

Aprrox cost: Shouldn't be more than $30 for 2 keys. Depends on what the locksmith charges.

the problem is that if his key is too worn to use, then there's going to be no point copying it as the copy will have the exact same pattern as the worn original

you need to either

- go to nissan and get them to make a new key based on the barrel

- get a new barrel and key

the problem is that if his key is too worn to use, then there's going to be no point copying it as the copy will have the exact same pattern as the worn original

you need to either

- go to nissan and get them to make a new key based on the barrel

- get a new barrel and key

The point that I was trying to make is that the locksmith will not simply duplicate the key. Rather than duplicating the key, the locksmith can use the key code or read the cuts on the key to cut a new key.

They use the code to crossreference with the exact cuts of that key, they then use a machine to cut a new key as if the was made from the factory.

So in the end, you have, not a copy of a worn key, but rather a brand new key with brand new cuts on it....not worn cuts.

If the locks are fine there should be no need to pull them out. In most cases, worn keys are the culprit.

Depnding on who you talk to at a locksmith shop, you may have to make the point that you don't want a duplicate, but that you want a new key because they don't work too well in your locks. Don't talk to the counter chick, you can talk to an apprentice, but a tradesman would be best.

Cheers :P

EDIT: extra info

Edited by KeyMakeR33