SAU Community

Pod Very Loud

33Sedan

Hey guys. might sound like a stupid question but the other day i got a pod filter, was quite nice, really enjoyed the sound, but am getting very annoyed by it now. It is extrememly loud. I havn't done anything to the car yet and when i do i wanna focus on day to day driveability (maybe cos i drive it heaps). So i wanna sorta quiet zorst etc. But this pod filter is so freaking loud. I have no hope of driving it quietly. My gf is whinging which is not good!*hence my post* But yea besides takin it off is there another trick i could do to make it a little more quiet. (when i say its loud, during peak hour traffic, with the stereo on, fans on, its still very very noticeable, let alone driving at night, gave me a headache!!!)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehe...

I have just put the standard airbox and filter back on my skyline.

I have owned 4 Imports and all have hod pods with CAI boxed but have never used the stock airbox.

All I can say is DAMN it is quiet with the stock airbox/filter. I will be modding the box to fit a pod in it and a cold air intake feeding the bottom of the box.

My HKS filter is pretty damn loud too, but unlike yourself I really don't mind it. Nowadays it just feels weird driving a car and not hearing the noise.

MMMM weird without the token apexi whistle.... dont know what you can do other than try out a few pods? i love it though

Attached some photos. Yea its really loud. I think the fact its sorta in the fender, the sound really gets amplified somehow. Think i will get some sound deadening material or something and stick it in there somehwere. its weird cos its dead quiet until the turbo starts up, then you can basically hear every whine it makes.

and don't get me wrong it sounds pretty nice (abit weird as its abit outta place without the exhaust note to back it up) but i drive it heaps and sometimes i wanna hoon othertimes i wanna take it easy, and when taking it easy its just so freaking annoying! All i wanted was a meaner sorta sound, now its just like HEY>>>>>I GOT A TURBO>>>>>AND ITS NOW REALLY LOUD SO EVERYONE CAR HEAR!!!!!! Cos i don't mound about the blow off sound but its the enormous sucking sound the moment the turbo spools. NEWAY. fun fun. will see what ppl think about the sound deadening. Cos i wouldn't know where to start with making a box for it.

The guys at Trojan put the pod on + adaptors, they left the little scoop thing as to provide some cool air constantly going towards the pod. Definatly feels alot more responsive! Heres the pic

post-27977-1158059632.jpg

i dont have an apexi pod, i've got a 'f(_)cknoes' pod. but doesnt that adapter pipe look way long?

looks like the pod is shoved right into the inner guard. i might be wrong, maybe soemone with an apexi can comment.

here's a pic of mine, adapter has minimal length.

post-29392-1158060756.jpg

The best way to get rid of the sound and keep your pod is to upgrade the turbo.

It sounds silly, but i loved the pod noise and with a loud exhaust i had a harmonious syphany :D. Hi-flowed my turbo, then later replaced it with a HKS turbo and on both accounts the pod noise was nowhere near as loud as with the std turbo :).

I now have a very quite exhaust and i still can't hear the pod, just the revs from the engine and the spooling of the turbo, etc, but no sucking noise from the pod :mad:

bah bah bah hhahahaha, sorry shouldnt laugh if you ever hear mine well the others will tell you,

I have a HKS pod on stock trubo and oh shit it use to chatter and give the best induction note ever but yes very loud espeisaly with the vented bonnet.

interesting, they said its a really good spot as it stays the coolest and with the air comgint through the little scoop it will stay the coolest. But yea seemed alittle too far in. Paid 30 bucks for the adapt, sure won't be forking out another 30 bucks netime soon for a shorter one. But probably is the problem. lol its sooo loud. so dosn't suit a standard white sedan ;-) ill have a look around and see how cheap i can get a shorter adaptor, of if someone would swap with me. (may suit another application).

i dont have an apexi pod, i've got a 'f(_)cknoes' pod. but doesnt that adapter pipe look way long?

looks like the pod is shoved right into the inner guard. i might be wrong, maybe soemone with an apexi can comment.

Offftopic i know - tony you don't happen to work out by the airport there do you?

I swear i've seen those wheels on a car out there....

Mukyb0y,

Did you buy the pod that is on your car at the moment?

From the pictures it looks like the one i had on my car for a while (Was sold to me as a Blitz filter but was a $20 supercheap filter).

If it is, change to a brand name (ie. Apexi, HKS etc) and you will not believe the difference you will notice.

After changing from that to a HKS pod, it felt like i had bolted on a new turbo. More response and alot more power (car was wheelspinining after 4k rpm).