SAU Community

Rb25 Gearbox Into R32

lwboosted

Yeah, both front and rear uni's look to be beefier than the ones on the 33 tail shaft. Rear one is rebuildable, front one isn't.

If you think 575 was pricey, I was quoted up to $1200 from other places.

I have a 33 speedo drive which i have adapted to the back of a 32 speedo face, in the process of jury rigging it atm to see if i can get it working before hacking up the back of the dash. If i cant get it, then the navara drive goes in. Only concern then is physically fitting the cable up to the drive as there isn't much space in there.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, both front and rear uni's look to be beefier than the ones on the 33 tail shaft. Rear one is rebuildable, front one isn't.

If you think 575 was pricey, I was quoted up to $1200 from other places.

I have a 33 speedo drive which i have adapted to the back of a 32 speedo face, in the process of jury rigging it atm to see if i can get it working before hacking up the back of the dash. If i cant get it, then the navara drive goes in. Only concern then is physically fitting the cable up to the drive as there isn't much space in there.

$1200!!! Made of carbon and balanced to 400kmh??? Far out some people think they can have a lend.

I guess mine did have problems at first, and in the end they had to pay to put the better unis on not me, which I would have had no problems paying in the first place, but as they say thats the way the cock flops.

Well after a week of mucking around with the r33 cluster and then an s13 one just in case the 33 one was cactus i grabbed a 32gtr drive (thanks risking) and used that.

The shaft is about 10mm shorter than the VL/navara unit so that you get away without removing the key way. and the bottom section of the gear is a nice interference fit over the splines requiring the bench vice to press the gear on. I just chucked a bit of loctite on the splines before installing.

I found that i also had to cut a new slot but only about 120 degrees around, rather than 180 as booster suggested.

Also bashed the bottom edge of the tunnel a bit to give a straighter shot at the drive for the cable.

Has anyone had cable failures due to the tight bends? or has anyone gotten a replacement shorter cable to suit the different drive position?

Edited by BHDave

Has any one considered removing their speedo and having that recallibrated?

I had one done on another car some years ago for $70.

Spot a cop with a lazer gun, pull over and ask what speed you were doing. :)

I did a test with gps today and found i'm pretty much spot on 10% high.

Anyone know of a bigger gear that has the gears cut the right way?

Edited by BHDave

How much would a mechanic charge to fit a r33 gearbox into a r32?

Thanks

Well, my total conversion cost about $3400... But that included the box and a jim berry clutch, and the one peice tailshaft, not that that cost much more than getting the standard one modded.

So say minus $1400 for the box $1200 for the clutch, mine cost $800 or so, inc the tailshaft, and a few misc bits. But thats also removing the existing box, and he had never done the conversion on a cefiro, so there was a little experimentation time.

• 2 months later...

i went to nissan today they dont make the r33 speedo cog anymore, or the whole drive!!! and they dont make the navara pinion assembly with the 21 tooth cog..

does any1 have a spare r33 pinion assembly? or are any others the same? i only want the cog off it!!

my tailshaft only costed me $100 i used my r32 tailshaft and just put the yoke off the r33 tailshaft on it..

the gtr cog is cut the wrong way and it is 10mm or so too short to engage properly. if you could find another cog thats cut the right way and not too small in diameter it could be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it, couldn't find the info on how it's wired, wasn't lucky enough to guess it.

r33 speedo has 4 contacts on the back, one positive, one neg, and what i think is a signal in and a signal out. The speed sensor is a hall effect from memory which means both wires will give a signal, provided the other one is earthed. So through educated guess you can figure what has to go to the dash. Without tracing wires through an r33 you don't know what has to happen in between, which was the point i decided it was all too hard.

The dash requires butchering to fit the 33 speedo mechanism. it's a harder job than chopping off a cog and sticking a the 25 one on there

• 1 month later...

So to round up the three pages what steps or items are needed to do this conversion?

Longer size bell hosing bolts, what sizes?

Tail shaft with R33 yoke, whats best or cheapest, custom one peice or mod the stock R32 one?

Cluch slave. Does anything need to be done to the bearing, housing or clutch fork?

Without going into debate, is there one setup for the speedo drive that has worked without trouble?

A custom cross member, anyone have a pic of theirs?

Slight change of trans tunnel shape, pics?

thanks

Daniel

(starting to sound like its gonna take me more than a morning to do this)

Edited by =premo=

I found a place in NZ who does a replacement part to convert the r33 box speedo to suit r32

I spoke to him today and mentioned Navara parts and he said he didnt use them yet mentioned it was genuine nissan and they had never had problems.

75 NZD and www.dodsonmotorsport.com