SAU Community

Gtr34 Getrag Boxes Shd Use Atf? Extremely Noisy

streamer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i am located out bankstown way..

and yer its an r34 getrag. but it has the larger nismo imput spline if that makes any difference.

and with an os tripple plate.

And hi Richard! its Andrew from gti-r forums

Edited by Angus Smart

Yeah i am located out bankstown way..

and yer its an r34 getrag. but it has the larger nismo imput spline if that makes any difference.

and with an os tripple plate.

And hi Richard! its Andrew from gti-r forums

ahh, you got new user name!

yeah, they make a funny clack clack clack noise at idle once the DM flywheel is goooone.

Yep wittout question use the Redline stuff on the 5 speed boxes in the R32 and R33's as it is tops. But I busted 2 sets of gears in the R34 before I learnt this lesson with the getrags.

Use the Castrol Transmax Z (ATF) - stay away from Redline in the getrags.

i wouldnt mind showing someone in sydney the noises i hear, who actually know what they are looking for..

it might just be the flywheel making the vibrations and knocking noises. as stated above when aftermarket clutch/flywheel is involved.

but i wouldnt mind just bieng sure.

My 34 dose the same, it is just the way they are, when you turn the car off you get that rattle. some times the throw out bearing can be heard at idle.

nothing to worry about....... I think ............. I hope............

Now heres another getrag related question.

on startup and the slow driving i do before i'm up to tempature.

i often find myself in gears i did not put it it. the shift is rather difficult to find anything. i often go from 4th to 1st, 2nd to 5th and so on.

i'm not sure if i have an aftermarket shifter. but its very close and tight shift anyway.

is this common. or could this be caused by oil that isnt too friendly untill warm?

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

was doing some research, and found that some r34gtr owners in uk are using the 75w/90 in the gearbox oil and the ATF in the transfer case and this is recommended to them from nissan.

From what i have observed, the ATF has thinner oil properties that allows smoother gear changes but doesnt that also leads to less protection as it is thinner ? With thinner oil, you save the syncros but does that lead to a long term damage to the gears ?

IMO you'd be crazy to use anything other than Transmax Z. If the Motul ATF is not synthetic (like transmax Z is) then it cant have anywhere near the same protective properties. Normal ATF has about a third the service life of Transmax Z, it breaks down at much lower temperature etc - its far inferior.

Using gear oil is crazy talk.

yeah you got gear rattle. anything but the standard clutch/flywheel combo will do it. get used to the rattle or get a diferant clutch. (heavier flywheel and sprung centre friction discs)

it will still be noisy. just not as much. it isnt harmfull. just an anoying noise.

a alterative to atf is penrite sin gear oil 70. its a fully synthetic oil specaly made for use in the normaly atf oiled tremmec 6 speeds. aka t56 commodore/falcon

much much much better that atf. we have doubled the service life in the utes running it.

as far as im aware the reason atf is used in them. and others for that matter is that they have fibre synchros. (felt lining) instead of the usual brass style.

they require specific frictional properties from the oil or they will crunch and break.

same thing as trying to use normal gear oil in a auto. its to slipery for the fibre friction discs

we run a supra in production sports and have had it rebuilt using aftermarket brass synchros from the states and use normal gear oil as a result. (gears/bearings last longer) ive no idea where they were from but some one in usa makes the bits.