SAU Community

ECU reset???

Champinco

what if ur car is chipped or has camshaft modifications (my r32 gtr has lumpy idle due to cam work) will anything be affected in a bad way by this? I know it should be fine due 2 the ecu self learning etc ....

thnx

Hi DR32gtr,

Let's say you let your best mate take your car for a little blat, to say, the Northern Territory and back.

Lets say that he loved your car and would like to take it out again, and you let him.

You gladly give him the keys.

He returns them back to you within a few minutes and says.." she won't turn over, I accidently left the lights on all day and now she's flat!!".

Is this something you would really worry about, a flat battery? (there's your ECU reset, whether you like it or not!!)

You run more of a risk 'jump starting' your car to electronic oblivion than taking your battery off line for a while to re-set the ECU....don't you think.

In other words, it won't hurt anything!!!

Just try it, you may see some incredible innitial results, then again, you may actually let your mate take it for a blat!

All the best, ...let us know how you go!!

Mark SuperSpit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I have a Blitz Access ECU in my R32 GTR. Will the same procedure apply when resetting it?

im sure the blits access computer is just a hacked standard computer, with all SPEED CUTS, andREV limits takin away...

its still a closed loop computer.. so it WONT HURT IT.

to be honest, resetting the stock computer after mods is a good thing for sure, BUT it is still got only a small band of tune.. like if you getting a full exhaust a pod, front mount, and winding more boost into it will still only be able to tune to its best ability, and its not that good.

and then again, getting Power FCs or full on aftermarkit computers cost ALOT..

So i spose it can be only a good thing to get a better tune via a quick reset.

• 4 weeks later...

well guys here is my story....

a mate of mine told me to reset my computer and found it to be bad. I have an r32 gtr and the speed limiter has been removed so i'm guessing chipped ecu. Took the battery terminal off then connected it and the power dropped from 170 kw at wheels to 140 and now my beast cuts out every so often.

IMO GO AND PAY A FEW BUCKS AND GET A DYNO!!

So thats what i did.....went and got it dyno'd but unfortunately it still cuts out and only pumping out 168 KW at wheels.

MY ADVICE.....DO IT PROPERLY OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!!!!!

Anyone in brisbane with a LAPTOP and a spare 10 minutes and I'll reset their Nissan factory ECU properly. If you don't have the LAPTOP then it will cost you $5.

I have a PLMS consult at home and a Nissan Consult at work.

Edited by 3LIT3 FORS3

I must also add that resetting your computer WILL NOT EFFECT YOUR PROGRAMMED MAPS.

Whether you had the ecu remapped or it is standard or whatever - resetting it will not erase that data. All it does is reset the learn procedure so that the computer can fine tune the base maps that are hard programmed into it and even then it only does it in fine increments to achieve the optimum running conditions.

• 1 month later...

hey guys, Im also thinkin about reset my ECU, however would you guys know if it would affect my dual boost controlller, or my turbo timer? Also how do u disconnect the car alarm? When reseting the ECU by disconnecting the battery, does that mean to disconnect every cable connected to the battery and leave it for 24hr and continously pressing the brake pedal does anything on the car dash board indicates?

Im also a little paraiod about reseting my ECU because im scared if it would f*k up my car up...

Please help....

Hey mate, It wont change your turbo timer, or boost controler...If you have a bat back up on the car alarm, you should use the key supplied with alarm and turn it off so it wont go crazy!

all pressing the brake cable does is drains all the power out of the cars system.

cause the ECU need to be fully dead to reset its self...

No need to leave it over night.... just hold ya foot on the brake for a few min.. that will rip the power out of the system.

Because the ECU is a ROM it cant change its parameters. when you re conect the power it will only take 5 min of driving to get the ECU calabrated to a better tune..

Hope this helped your fears mate :D

kezza

hey kezza, thanks mate for the advice, however reseting the ECU will it decreases my current kw's or hp to the standard kw or hp? Also I was reading the forum that when disconnecting the battery I should disconnect the negative frist and leave the positive connected? Is that true or otherwise it will cause drama's?

NaStY_r33gtst-

Yeh man disconnect the negative terminal first and reconnect it last. I think this is just for your own safety so you never touch the positive when it's live?

As someone has said,

"resetting your computer WILL NOT EFFECT YOUR PROGRAMMED MAPS.

Whether you had the ecu remapped or it is standard or whatever - resetting it will not erase that data. All it does is reset the learn procedure so that the computer can fine tune the base maps that are hard programmed into it and even then it only does it in fine increments to achieve the optimum running conditions."

Just reset it and then drive around how you like and you may even find your car seems to run slightly better. I can't see the car going any worse because of it?

• 11 months later...

i just have done this,left it for 3 hours, and of course pressed the brake a couple of times, you can feel it get heavier :(.. my idel looks a little smoother, and i feel it runs alot more smooth now, i did have 3 mods in there without reseting, so feels like it helped a bit..

• 2 months later...
hey, so i dont disconnect the positive side of the battery? just onli the negative. Umm also i got a standard ecu however i dont know if i had it tune or not coz i just brought the car. Will it decrease my boost psi or increase if i reset the ECU?

i think he means disconnect the neg FIRST, then the pos, 24 hours later, connect the pos then finally the NEG

sorry to bump this thread, but im gonna try it and ill let u guys know how it went

• 4 months later...

After having a chat to my mechanic today about this he said that this could be done also by disconnecting the main fuse in the front?

I personally couldn't get the thing to work by using the diagnostic plug and getting to the battery in my car is very very painful with all the audio gear in my boot.

• 4 years later...

Hey I'm wanting to reset my ecu it is just a stock one I believe but it has got a G readdy E manage that can be plugged in and also has a rev/speed meter hooked up resetting the ecu will this affects rev/speed meter or the e manage next time I got to plug it in??

• 10 months later...

Just posting to eliminate any fears, and to clarify things for any noobs like myself..

When I reset my ecu for the first time it was a huge success.

I have R33 gtst s2. with standard ecu, aftermarket alarm, turbo timer, FMIC, exhaust, stereo, and thats just about it..

I disarmed/unlocked the car. (did not disconnect any alarm wires or anything)

Then disconnected the negative terminal from the battery.

pumped and held brake on for a minute. turned light switch on/off a bit, to use up residual power. Then left sit for half hour.

Reconnected battery, checked clock to see if reset, it was now wrong time. 1 o'clock which i thought was weird... My stereo had not lost its pre-programed radio stations, but it had switched from USB input to radio.. also weird....

Then tightened terminal connection after turning everything off. While tightening up terminal the timer turned itself on along with the radio. last weird thing....

I then started the car and noticed the standing idle had increased from 800ish to 1100ish, as i had been told it would if reset was successful.

Then took it for a low paced casual drive through town (basically the softest it's ever going to be driven, like my gf drives it) out to an unused straight road..

I then exercised the throttle through the rev range. Held at about 3k a few seconds then off, slowly up to 6k then down, etc. (not really sure the best method, but have read to to this) Then basically ran a drag race up to 5th gear twice. Then had a bit of a spirited drive up and down the gears.

Then cruised back to town sitting on about 100kph. followed by another slow drive through town to fill up tank then home.

The drive seemed to have more low rev power and be more responsive. The next test is to see if it has improved overall fuel economy.

• 5 months later...

Just posting to eliminate any fears, and to clarify things for any noobs like myself..

When I reset my ecu for the first time it was a huge success.

I have R33 gtst s2. with standard ecu, aftermarket alarm, turbo timer, FMIC, exhaust, stereo, and thats just about it..

I disarmed/unlocked the car. (did not disconnect any alarm wires or anything)

Then disconnected the negative terminal from the battery.

pumped and held brake on for a minute. turned light switch on/off a bit, to use up residual power. Then left sit for half hour.

Reconnected battery, checked clock to see if reset, it was now wrong time. 1 o'clock which i thought was weird... My stereo had not lost its pre-programed radio stations, but it had switched from USB input to radio.. also weird....

Then tightened terminal connection after turning everything off. While tightening up terminal the timer turned itself on along with the radio. last weird thing....

I then started the car and noticed the standing idle had increased from 800ish to 1100ish, as i had been told it would if reset was successful.

Then took it for a low paced casual drive through town (basically the softest it's ever going to be driven, like my gf drives it) out to an unused straight road..

I then exercised the throttle through the rev range. Held at about 3k a few seconds then off, slowly up to 6k then down, etc. (not really sure the best method, but have read to to this) Then basically ran a drag race up to 5th gear twice. Then had a bit of a spirited drive up and down the gears.

Then cruised back to town sitting on about 100kph. followed by another slow drive through town to fill up tank then home.

The drive seemed to have more low rev power and be more responsive. The next test is to see if it has improved overall fuel economy.

I tried the reset using the paper clip method and now my car won't pump fuel to the engine. If I disconnect the battery and pump the brake etc will it reset the ecu and fix this problem?