SAU Community

The Last Of The Monaros To Be 500hp...

Big Rizza

The final 50 Monaros to be sold in the UK will be factory supercharged to make 500hp / 677Nm, and be badged the Monaro VXR 500. Plus, it will be cheaper than the standard 400hp model! And they're offering the supercharger as a retrofit for anyone who already bought their Monaro. All with a factory warranty!

Driving impressions: http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.a...=47&i=15379

Why is it that the UK market always get better cars than we do? Even when we built the car in the first place! We missed out on the Mitsubishi Evo VIII FQ400 MR in just the same way. Local manufacturers & distributers seem reluctant to offer factoy backed aftermarket parts that won't void your warranty, which is just crud because it happens overseas all the time. It's starting to pick up, with the sprintex supercharger kit for Magna and the Oettinger ECU reflash for Golf GTi both allowing you to retain the standard warranty, but neither are fitted at your local dealership. About the only true factory aftermarket kit in Oz is the Mini Cooper Works kit.

So what do you reckon? Is the 500hp Monaro the shit, or just plain shit? Is there a market for the factory aftermarket here in Oz?

not to mention the monaro version that was shipped to the states as the Pontiac GTO was sold cheaper over there than here due to "market pressures" ?!?

If thy are only selling 50 in the UK, then there is most definitely a market that big or better here. What was the yearly sales figures of the last monaro? 100's im sure.

That'll be the PWR intercooler kit, then.

Motor did a review ages ago, and apparently it was going to be offered as a dealer fit option (as well as being a warranty covered retrofit on any LS1 engine in the Holden range).

Never heard anything official about it, though.

why don't we get it? 2 reasons. 1. the same reason why the detuned the ls1 before the put it in the aussie monaros, but not the british and american ones. cause they think we are a bunch of hobo's that don't get cars serviced (and they might not be too far off the money on that one. not everyone, but a lot of people leave their servicing well past the recommended time)

2. it isn't holden selling them in the uk. it is vauxhall. so holden has no control over the situation. it is similar to how corsa got the monaro then took it from 300kw to about 330kw.

Actually, most manufacturers think the US guys are more service-phobic than Australians.

Its why the Japanese didn't try bringing in a lot of their turbo cars into the US for ages, since as we know turbo cars are more sensitive to "oil change and tune up" intervals than NA cars. Especially the simply engineered, long stroke, high capacity engines that the US guys seem to love.

i thought the supercharged monaro was always available in the UK from years back, i definetly have CAR UK mags that have it listed in the back section from at least 2 years ago... im not at home atm otherwise i would double check but i am 90% sure...

they also got the racelogic traction control in their monaros.

I met up with the LS1 owners in the UK back in 2003 - theres a the GTS-R (VT GTS 300 here) and he had the whipple blower on it however he did it himself. the GTS was our R8 over there also. was quite a good site seeing 5 HSV's over there! (yes yes I have a very big soft spot for them)