SAU Community

Timing Whirring/whining Noise?

GTR_STEALTH

I had this problem with my last 33 after instalinga gates timing belt. I took it to a reputable mechanic and they told me it was my ider bearing and tensioner bearing, they replaced them as well as my water pump. The noise was still there so I got over it and left it.

It was pretty frustrating though..

just got mine done recently...whines off its head...the mechh said..its good to have it tight as it will loosen up a bit after it wears in..

also showed me the old belt which came with the car...felt both belts...obviously the new one wasnt as stretchy compared to the used one..

like stated above...pump ya music up...if it doesnt go away after a month or so of driving..probably get it a tad loosened up..if u can be bothered

:)

yeh just did my belt( r33 gtr) used a gates racing and its noisy at idle but im not surprised,much stiffer than a standard belt. im a mechanic by trade and ive come across this before, itl' go away in 2/3000 ks (beds in i supose) if its a constant whining at all revs then its to tight.

good rule of thumb for tension is to be able to move the belt forward/backwards between the exhaust cam gear and ider about 5mm each way

Burkey

yeh just did my belt( r33 gtr) used a gates racing and its noisy at idle but im not surprised,much stiffer than a standard belt. im a mechanic by trade and ive come across this before, itl' go away in 2/3000 ks (beds in i supose) if its a constant whining at all revs then its to tight.

good rule of thumb for tension is to be able to move the belt forward/backwards between the exhaust cam gear and ider about 5mm each way

Burkey

i have read elsewhere you should be able to move the belt about 10mm not 5mm so what is it 10mm or 5mm when it is a new belt

well has anyone found the exact problem yet? or solved it?

im going to get an greddy clear top timing cover so i can take a look wen idling etc.

plus it will look sweet:)

and thats wen i'll take a look at the belt..

cant be bothered taking the cas and top cover yet..lol

ive doin just over a 1000k's since i've had the gen. nissan belt installed...

still got the sound wen at warm(normal operating temp)..

but my next question is...

has anyone had the same problem as me..left it alone...and the sound just stop/disappeared one day?????

like as the belt adjusted to the pre-set tensioner as like the old belt.....

bcoz i didnt have this sound before on my old belt...

anyone??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

im going to replace all drive belts first...just to make sure there not the problem...

but still concerned about the sound im hearing wen engine reach normal temperature....

i have read elsewhere you should be able to move the belt about 10mm not 5mm so what is it 10mm or 5mm when it is a new belt

Using just the deflection of the belt is not how you measure the tension of a belt. For example one person may use 10kg of force and another use 5kg of force. Tension is measured using a force and deflection. The manuals etc do not give a tension for the timing belt. It relies on the spring behing the tensioner pulley to apply the correct tension. Synchronous belts do stretch but not very much over their life.

To check if it is the belt making the noise you can try the following. Remove the alternator belt and run the engine, if noise is still there remove the p/s belt and run the engine. You can also remove the top timing belt cover and replace the CAS using some washer to space it out (approx thickness of the cover). Taking extreme care not to drop anything into the timing belt area, run the engine.

well has anyone found the exact problem yet? or solved it?

im going to get an greddy clear top timing cover so i can take a look wen idling etc.

plus it will look sweet:)

and thats wen i'll take a look at the belt..

cant be bothered taking the cas and top cover yet..lol

ive doin just over a 1000k's since i've had the gen. nissan belt installed...

still got the sound wen at warm(normal operating temp)..

but my next question is...

has anyone had the same problem as me..left it alone...and the sound just stop/disappeared one day?????

like as the belt adjusted to the pre-set tensioner as like the old belt.....

bcoz i didnt have this sound before on my old belt...

anyone??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

im going to replace all drive belts first...just to make sure there not the problem...

but still concerned about the sound im hearing wen engine reach normal temperature....

i would say you timing belt is to tight like mine. im using a gates belt, alot of people say it is normal for a gates belt to make a noise. i have been told that is wrong and belt is to tight which can cause tensionr bolt to break then your motor is stuffed i have read someone say turn your music up i dont think thats the best advice

Did the person that did your timing belt know what he was doing?? If your timing belt was to snap, or something similar, there goes your engine... For some things its better to pay a bit more and know you getting someone that knows what they are doing....

When i did mine... two months or so ago, i got XSPEED to do mine, even though i know they will charge me a bit more then i could of got if i look for a cheapest place... but it gave me piece of mind that they know what they are doing, since all they do is pretty much work on skylines.

Maybe bring it back to the guy and ask him to check it out?

yeah, mine was doin by a mate who works at nissan...

but yeah, alot of people seem to have a similar problem after changing ther -belt...

and wer not talking about gates belts!!!!everybody knows they make sounds..lol

• 4 weeks later...

its the supercharger uleh its hektic!!

i got my belts changed today it only does it when its warm doesnt bother me too much i just turn the stereo on and its gone lol :bunny:

i have a gates racing timing belt myself and have this whirring/whining sound. it's not loud like some have described, but if you're outside the car near the engine you can hear it a little bit. 3 mechanics told me that gates timing belts are noisy naturally but as the belt stretches the sound will go away. doesn't seem like a problem to me!

its weird..my sound is GONE!!!!!!!!!!

?????

lol

i just did 102k's on my clock..

and my new gen. nissan was replaced at 99k's

so it must expand after a while...........or somethin along those lines....

i had i look at a mates timing belt on his skyline (took the top timing belt cover off).. his belt was tighter then mine his dont make a noise but mine does so im hoping my noise will go away soon like you bumble bee as my belt has much more play yet makes a noise strange so i guesss in other post when i said your belt was to tight like mine i was wrong

• 7 months later...

well...its bein ova a year...and ive done about 114,000ks now..

and ive got a weird whinning sound again..lol

at first i tht it was my turbo...coz it was making it during acceleraion and wen back off the throttle..

u can hear it whining down...

i was like crap!!

anyways..so i took my old turbo off...notice i had had about 2mm shaft-play and wen spining my compressor wheel..i could hear some bearing sound...

so i got a second hand series1 turbo,,

looked good with about 1mm shaft play and no bearing noise/sound...

so i fitted this to car..no leaks or anything..

anyways..the first time i went to start my car..i could still hear the whining sound wen accelerating and wen backing off u can here it whining down...

so now my think it could be a pulley..like an idler pulley...??

coz i didnt change them wen getting my timing belt...

oil pressure and water temp looks fine...but im reading the stock gauges....and there not that accurate...

so i dont think its the oil pump or water pump..

but wat are their signs of failure???

im taking off my top timing cover today...

so i should know soon if it is and idler pulley..

anyone had a similar problem to this??