SAU Community

Timing Whirring/whining Noise?

GTR_STEALTH

Bringing up an old topic, sorry guys.

Yep im using a gates racing belt and have same noise, only every had problems when ive used these belts, go figure hey.

Too tight t-belt will cause problems, possable snaping belt futher down track, im guessing as belt heats up it goes tight, ive loosed mine of goes way too loose and flaps so nip it up a lilttle bit, seems sweet running engien nosie come bak cheak tension and its banjo string tight, it suck its either way too loose or too tight when hot, so im gona bin my gates belts and try gen nissan belt agian, last time i used a gen belt no issues at all.

I dunno if this will help anyone but might do. I did my timing belt with my 100k service as u do and had a strange whirring noise. BUT this only occured when the timing cover was on, i pulled it back off to check everything was ok and no noise.

Mine is ok now but still makes the noise every so often. I belive it is the rubbery/silicon ring around the outside of the cover vibrating lightly on the engine. Havent tried this theory on mine yet becuase mine doesnt really make the noise but maybe someone else has this problem. Running a ring of silicon or similar around the outside just to give it something soft to seat on would probably be an easy fix if this was the problem

What cam gears are people using when they have a noisy timing belt?

I'm just thinking that when a lot of people change the belt they'll also change to adjustable cam gears (normally only ex on RB25DET). I was more initailly only thinking about RB25DET as I was wondering if having a new ex cam gear and old genuine inlet gear would have any affect.

• 7 years later...
  • 6 years later...

I'm guessing this is the go-to timing belt whine thread, so may I also share my issue. It's a brand new OEM Nissan (pitwork) timing belt and tensioners, stock 20Neo cam gears (clean teeth), perfectly timed, followed factory manual tensioning procedure and rotated the motor a few times. Afterwards the motor sat like that for nearly 8 months, and just the other day I fired it up for the first time. It makes a noticeable whirring sound almost exactly like in the above video. I have attached a video of me twisting it 45 degrees and also pushing down on it. To me, the tension looks and feels right for a performance motor, and would assume it's normal for it to be noisy when new until the rubber smooths out and overall stretch sets. You can see that this Nissan belt has almost a leathery texture on it. That said, this is my first ever RB motor so I cannot compare. What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE to my own enquiry from October 11. It turns out my belt WAS in fact overtightened, and upon re-reading the factory belt tensioning procedure, I believe I simply did it incorrectly the first time and added extra tension on the pulley.

Basically the FSM says to install the tensioner pulley and spring, time the belt, then leave the pulley nut LOOSE and turn the engine over by hand more than 2 times (I did 4 full revolutions). After that, you need to hold the pulley with a hex key without moving it further in or out, simply keep it there while you torque the nut to 52-55Nm.

I did that a second time now and I could feel the belt was looser this time around. Started the car multiple times afterwards and the belt whine completely went away!

• Like 1