SAU Community

Exhaust Help

Tangles

today i got a 3inch cat back exhaust fitted (with a 3inch cat) its got a centre resonator and a muffler at the rear. it sounds like crap!! it drones that bad it causes a vibration through the whole car!! worst thing is when u get the revs up its not much louder than the stock one!!! i'll be taking it straight back for them to fix, has anyone got any suggestions??

no idea about brand names. they only use quality stuff ive used them b4, they just dont get many guys with RB engines come in and say "im not worried about big power i just want a good note with no drone".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no bonnet insulation, all I hear when I'm thrashing is the motor and the turbo... I want an exhaust that i can only hear at high revs, dont even want background noise... the only external noise i get on the freeway is the tires, and I want too keep it that way.

-Ryan

I had exactly the same problem with drone due to a resonator.

Basically with the wagon, resonator=drone.

I had my resonator replaced with a second muffler and it fixed it up very nice :rolleyes:

Its not super quiet but also not very loud and not that noticeable when cruising.

I know what you mean by loud - I had to wait a whole long weekend before getting the resonator changed over so for the whole weekend I kept thinking everyone around was gonna be looking at me cos my car was too loud. It was painful.

So yeah, definitely 2 mufflers, and that should sort it out. Both mufflers are straight through so there's no restriction. You'll notice the difference straight away.

I've done 2 interstate trips with my new exhaust and its not a problem at all for noise or drone. :P

Of course get a stainless steel ones. It might be more expensive but it in the long run its well worth it.. .

Our JZX100 forum got suspended today for some reason - I have no idea why as I am just an average joe member - so pardon me switching brands, but the question [answer] is probably the same:

I just sourced a 3" Metalcat, a Lukey race centre/centre and an import/offset race for my 98 JZX100 and hope to make some final decisions in the next few days about tube. What are the advantages of stainless over mild steel? Given I cannot find an exhaust shop that can bend stainless, and must weld bits and pieces I just thought I would ask if mild steel is all that bad? What are the comparative life spans of each? Some say that mild steel has a less brittle tone. - any opinions?

has anyone here tried a decent front pipe, hi flow cat, and stock cat back?

it's pretty popular in the US on a lot of cars, since the exhaust gases cool quite a lot and actually require less diameter further back in the exhaust

thats whats on my car right now

stainless mani, gloria turbo, stainless outlet, mild steel kakimoto downpipe, cat eliminator, and stock catback....i think its stiffiling my power. i noticed a drop when i put it on.....

but i DID have an axle dump...right before the axle

as far as stainless VS Mild

Rust issue, is the only reason id get stainless.

stsainliess is harder to weld, but looks pretty and has a slightly differnet sound

The idea of a resonator is to cut out drone at specific frequencies/revs. For example, With my mazda i got an exhaust system with a resonator set for the rpm the car does at 60kmh and 100kmh. You'll find that normally your freer flowing, noisier exhaust that certain rpm wil drone and resonate through the car more than others. Go to your exhaust shop and let them know what RPM your car sits at when ur cruising and tell them you want that quietened. and they will give you a resonator for eg from 2200 to 2800rpm. What this did was give it a sporty note, without droning while you cruise.

Brand names typically have more research and development to create a higher flowing exhaust, without the noise of a cheap and nasty.

Either that or i got stooged into a pricey system. But it DID sound nice. Tough raspy note, sounds great throttling down, and wasnt irritating while cruising even tho it was fairly loud under the pedal. And that was just a Mazda 3.

yeah my stagea is my drift car

Im going mild steel, its easier to weld and deal with for me.

but my ideal system is a side exit straight pipe from turbo

but im in japan, and dont deal with the rough constraints you do

but im in japan, and dont deal with the rough constraints you do

So its also street driven...?

And does this mean you can send us goodies like intercoolers, injectors, mufflers, and hello kitty facewashers?

Has anyone found a down pipe that bolts streight up yet? I saw a thread a while back where poeple were having problems and needing to modify r34 or r33 ones but there was never a conclusion or word of a pipe that works streight out with no mods. nengun has one listed under the stagea search results, its listed as an r33 one so not sure, has anyone got one that bolts streight up? (series 2 manual)

By the way,thermodynamics law of the gases describes the relationship between temperature-presure-volume. thats why you get an intercooler, increase presure = increase temperature= decrease volume(higher density). add intercooler. At other end, hot, high presure gas, give area for gas to expand (high volume dump pipe) = decrease presure = decrease temperature = increase volume (lower density)

Edited by momo

i've been thinking 3" dump/front/cat, then 2.5"catback with decent muffler...

how much difference does it really make on a stock turbo car?

also, much gain found from going 3"dump/front/cat and stock catback?

-Ryan

you can tell the difference when you swap the xhaust from a std to a 3". Go at least 3" for the exhaust system. Your arse will feel the difference when driving it in terms of the power gain LOL!