SAU Community

Black Fmic Kit - Anodizing Vs Powder Coating Vs Painting

QRI05E

As i'm slowy getting ready for my highflow build, im also going to purchase a FMIC kit.. however i want a black FMIC with black pipes purely for the stealth look behind my R33 S2 bar... does any company make such a FMIC kit? or would i have to paint it?

Cheers

Edited by QRI05E

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the same note, what exactly is entailed in painting a FMIC.. im guessing you cant just spray the whole front of it black ? do you need special heat resistant paint or what ? anyone done this before ?

There would be a poofteenth it in......Unless your going for that 0.0001 of a horsepower (exaggerated).....Grab a can of VHT flameproof for the sake of it....(thats if you can find some, seeing VHT plant blew up a while back) and aus is struggling to get most of the VHT lines in the country....

ne hoo just paint away

-Jez

One thing you have to be careful of though is making sure that the paint doesn't build up in between the fins and cause a restriction, so make sure you use a 'thin' paint and a couple of light coats.

Other than that any automotive paint will work fine, even the general shit you buy at bunnings will do the job provided it applies to a metal surface.

Thanks for the reply guys, my aim is NOT to chase 0.00001 hp gain but to have it hidden behind the front bar and not noticable... im sure if i just spray it black it will flake off after a few months from the hot and cold temp changes...

I dont want a GTR FMIC cause i prefer a kit that comes with all the piping... dont want to have to make up custom pipes...

Is the Nismo black FMIC still in production?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply guys, my aim is NOT to chase 0.00001 hp gain but to have it hidden behind the front bar and not noticable... im sure if i just spray it black it will flake off after a few months from the hot and cold temp changes...

I dont want a GTR FMIC cause i prefer a kit that comes with all the piping... dont want to have to make up custom pipes...

Is the Nismo black FMIC still in production?

Cheers

I did the same with my old FMIC and cops stopped pulling me over once they couldnt see this big silver as with it blackit wasnt obvious. People even asked me why i got rid of my front mount, when it was clearly still there

A mATT black IS BEST for heat absorbsion and illusion.... Doesn’t matter what mat black ... just as long as its dull black which make s it less susceptible to heat

Black fmic is the way to go. Went through a defect station at milton maccas one night and they didnt pick me up for it. I also have black painted cooler piping throught the engine bay so i think that helped. I gave my cooler a respray about 3 months ago as the original black from the gtr cooler had started to break off. I just used some standard black spray paint from bunnings, doesnt clog up the fins.

post-24087-1167023224.jpg

I don't recommend you use just any old paint, it stilll has to have some thermal transfer properties and most paints are an insulator of sorts so the radiator stuff is the go.

Matt black is the ideal property for radiating and absorbing heat with powdered gold being the most matt material known. Polished is extremely poor for radiation. Try your polished exhaust tip after a decent drive, see how warm it feels by putting your hand close to it but don't touch. It won't give off much heat, but if you spray a little water on it will boil off.