SAU Community

Minor Service Major Snowball R33/rb25

Hey all,

What started out to be a minor Service, oil,filters,plugs etc etc has made way for the unstoppable snow ball effect after finding 2 broken studs on the exhaust manifold, The parts list so far reads like this:

FMIC

Drift BOV

Turbosmart Dual stage boost control

Apexi PFC

Warlbro 255

3in Turbo back/High flow cat/single stainless muffler

So now im searching for as much as i can get out of stock block/head/cams/inlet and exhaust manifold.

Not sure weather to go internal or external on the gate,weld on gate to stock manifold or use spacer to go external or live with the potential power loss of internal gate?

Turbo's???? Anyone had any experience with those Monstaperformance ones on Ebay they can tell me about???

Turbo recommendations most welcome?

Injectors? Im thinking 650cc top feed/fuel rail combo?

Clutch??? thinking of getting stock one modded to suit(cheap) or if you can recommend someting in a decent price range id be glad to hear it?

Looking for around 300rwkw.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monsta turbos = you take your own risk.

The stock fuel rail/reg is perfectly fine.

So you onlt need some Nismo 550cc injectors which are direct replacement.

The Walbro fuel pump wont be upto the task of 300rwkw, it will be maxed by around 240rwkw going by most peoples results (including my own), so you will need a better quality fuel pump.

IMO. Get a GCG hi-flow (see group buy section), its a direct bolt on/off job, and for $1750, you cant go wrong, as thats quite cheap as far as good turbo setups go.

That way you wont need to waste money on manifolds/external gates.

There is no such thing as power loss with an internal gate if the turbo is correctly matched with its housing etc etc.

You will get to around 250-260rwkw, which isnt 300rwkw... but the 250rwkw is amazingly responsive. Virtually like a stock turbo with a truck load more ooomph everywhere, and will make a truly fast street car.

Clutch - see the Drivetrain section. There is a sticky thread about good clutch makers :(

Havent fitted fuel pump yet, What sort of intank pump would you recommend?

When i mentioned internalgate power loss i didnt mean a loss of power, just that the max potential of the turbo would be limited 10>15% to what it could be which with 250kw would be around 30kw more going external.

I found top feed injector combo is cheaper and fitting a fuel rail is hardly a hassle,Looks trick and better fittings which dont even compare to standard hose clamps.

Is the cost of Apexi PFC, High flow Turbo and injectors worth 50kw??? 200kw is practically free & easy and virtually No Hassle, $$$$ vs Performance 50kw option makes no sense.

Edited by Spoolemup

Havent fitted fuel pump yet, What sort of intank pump would you recommend?

When i mentioned internalgate power loss i didnt mean a loss of power, just that the max potential of the turbo would be limited 10>15% to what it could be which with 250kw would be around 30kw more going external.

I found top feed injector combo is cheaper and fitting a fuel rail is hardly a hassle,Looks trick and better fittings which dont even compare to standard hose clamps.

Is the cost of Apexi PFC, High flow Turbo and injectors worth 50kw??? 200kw is practically free & easy and virtually No Hassle, $$$$ vs Performance 50kw option makes no sense.

Not sure 10/15% power limited thing you thinking about... as it makes no logical sense when you can get internally gated setups over 300rwkw without much of an issue.

So as i said, no such power loss. Forget the internal/external misinformation.

If you want to change the rail etc. Thats you call.

I offered you a bolt in solution that is tried and proven to work, and work perfectly

Lets face it, 250rwkw is reasonably cheap to do. 300rwkw isnt (especially if you eat a motor).

As for if its worth it, stuffed if i know mate, its not my car. I just offered you what i think is the best idea.

I know if it was me, thats exactly what i would be doing.

Going fast, costs money. The faster you want to go, the more money you need to spend, and its not a linear amount. IMO once you cross 250-270rwkw, then you start talking 5 figures quite easily.

A 250rwkw skyline is hardly anything to be sneezed at. I would reccomend going for a ride in a well sorted one and i think you will be quite shocked at just how fast one can be.

Broken studs on the exhaust side are very common and i'd be suprised to find a high km RB25 skyline without at least 1. The manifold is long and it flexes due to heat cycles and they break.

No big deal...

300kw+ internal gate? i thought stock manifolds dont flow past 300kw sounds like im well misinformed?

No stranger to the $$$$ vs performance issue but 50kw for a few thousand $$$$ when 200kw is free, not sure how your calling that cheap.

Yeah i know studs easy fix but its led to this.

How bout some 300rwkw turbo/combo's????

Edited by Spoolemup

What are you talking about re:stock manifolds?

Not every aftermarket manifold is externally gated... i hope you realise this.

There are many that are

6 runners -> collector -> flange -> turbo

With NO external pipe what so ever.

Well how much do you think power costs dude?

200rwkw isnt free at all. Thats just totally incorrect.

ECU - $1300

Exhaust - $1000

I/C - $600

Fuel pump - $200

EBC - $100-400

Clutch - $1200

So, 200rwkw has cost nearly what, 4k.

And then all you need is turbo (1700) and injectors (800) and you have 250rwkw. IMO thats the best value for money you will ever see.

If you want 300rwkw, be prepared to be spending a LOT more than 2.5k it cost for 250rwkw :laugh:

Because you'll definately need brakes, suspension, tyres, diff and everything else (read 10k).

300rwkw isnt just a turbo and a few parts. Its a whole package.

Otherwise, if you dont spend the 10k on supporting gear, the car will without a doubt be slower than if it had 250rwkw and a semi-sorted setup because you wont have traction and the ability to actually stop.

ECU Not needed for 200kw

Exhuast, done!

I/C, done!

Tien, suspension done!

Brakes, done!

Fuel pump, done!

EBC, done!

My perspective tells me its FREE, Today is a new day and counting mods i did yesterday, Naaa i dont think so.

How much im going to spend today?is my 1st question & How much will i gain? is the 2nd?

Clutch needs replacement anyway so cannot count that cost as a mod.

The plan was to mod & clean up stock manifold, I made no mention of aftermarket.

sorry to say it but you need an ECU upgrade even for a minor power increase. Reason being you'd need to change your Air/fuel ratios to suit, and the factory map wasn't really "designed" for that much power *shrugs*

Correct me if im wrong :)

If you want to figure which turbo for 300rwkw then look through here - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=55845 There are plenty of internally gated turbos that will get you what you want.

Have a look here - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...mp;s=&f=146 - for clutches. A lot of us like the Jim Berry ones mentioned in the first sticky.

Fuel pump done? Call us when you realise that pump wont get you anywhere near 300rwkw so we can laugh.

Stock exhaust manifold and plenum will get you there. Stock rail will too as mentioned. Stock cams will with the right turbo but I personally prefer a smaller turbo and bigger cams.

550cc injectors are all you need.

Most of us wouldn't touch an ebay turbo with a barge pole but a few people would. Good luck.

Agree with everything mentioned by Nismoid and Abo, except the comments regarding the suitability of the Walbro 255L/hr fuel pump for 250-300rwkw.

I've seen numerous examples (including my own car) where these fuel pumps have handled up to 300rwkw without problem. In saying that, it's important to mention that there's loads of rubbish imitation Walbro-like pumps out on the market which imply similar performance to a genuine Walbro but are simply not up to the task. As a consequence this may lead people to believe that Walbro's are no good, but I can vouch for the fact that mine has definately done the job.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Agree with everything mentioned by Nismoid and Abo, except the comments regarding the suitability of the Walbro 255L/hr fuel pump for 250-300rwkw.

I've seen numerous examples (including my own car) where these fuel pumps have handled up to 300rwkw without problem. In saying that, it's important to mention that there's loads of rubbish imitation Walbro-like pumps out on the market which imply similar performance to a genuine Walbro but are simply not up to the task. As a consequence this may lead people to believe that Walbro's are no good, but I can vouch for the fact that mine has definately done the job.

Just my 2 cents worth :nyaanyaa:

I have to agree i know a good mate who was pushing 300rwkw with a intake walbro pump ...and no signs of slowing down..

I dont know what to say? Do you guys really agree with $4000 for 200kw?

Telling you i managed 200kw for a bit under $2500 and not far under that before it got on the Dyno some of you guys might try paint me up as full of Shit. OH! Wait minute you already did. But what do i Know im just a newb i cant even juggle tennis balls let alone spanners.

Abo bob cheers mate :cheers: A newb to the forum usefull info :P

If your not getting the most out of your walbro try wiring it up to get the volts it needs, you may also wanna be certain its the pump holding you back, playing guessing games with my wallet out always makes me feel stupid when im wrong and thats why im HERE, I dont have 300+kw experience.

If the pump flows as advertised i dont/didnt see the problem, good to know others are quick to correct thru experience :)

Well... stock ECU, i call a "happy" dyno. I'd like to see some ET's to backup that 200rwkw without any ECU/interceptor as they'd be amusing without a doubt

Anyway, I had a 369rwkw RB25 setup for 18months.

I also had the whiz bang Walbro (definately not a copy), it was wired correctly.

It was maxed out by 250rwkw/16psi.

Swapped for a Bosch, and AFR's went from 14's down into the 10s with just a fuel pump change and nothing else, running the factory rail presure.

So, there is experience behind my posts, i also know of others that have had similar issues.

Seems someone people do, some people dont.

I dont know what to say? Do you guys really agree with $4000 for 200kw?

I got 200rwkw and a few 106mph passes, and I did it rather cheaply!

$350 for ECU remap

$450 for Split Dump/front pipe

$400 for Stainless cat

$800 for Catback

$1500 for Clutch

$500 for Intercooler

$250 for Bosch 044 pump

=

$4250 + labour.

So I guess I do agree! If I went with an aftermarket ecu and a tune add ~$1200 to that figure.

You can argue that you don't need the intercooler or the clutch, but to each their own.

None of this is including any suspension work either...