I have always disliked Commodores for a number of reasons, including:

Lack of quality control/quality of materials

Lack of style

Lack of technology

Big boat type handling

Fact that nearly everyone owns one

Fact that they are used as taxis

Boofy Ausie bloke factor

The new commodore however seems to overcome point 2. Although there's not a huge amount of tech. in the way they produce their power, there sounds like theres a bit of tech. in the suspension.

Although a big heavy car will always be a big heavy car, from all reviews they tend to grip and handle pretty well. I know this did not start with the current commodore.

I now think they have a reasonable level of style. The GTS in my opion looks great. No longer looks like a heap of plastic and grey bits stuck on. All the GTS's i've seen are black and only black.

Not sure about quality or product, I have only read about one recall.

Although there are some shortcomings that haven't been overcome, this car has largely changed my view on Commodores and I can now can appreciate that if you want a big car that handles and is powerful, then the SS's and HSV GTS are reasonable value for money cars.

Never thought I would say that.

Has anyone else gone from dislike to like?

Cheers

Edited by Smurf

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know who out there thought the previous model, VT-VZ, was not large enough that they had to make the new one even bigger.

OK, so Holden had bigger plans in mind - mainly to export to the US, but the car is still bigger than most US sedans.

Parking in Sydney is hard enough, who wants to park something that big. I think the people at Holden are compensating for something else.

This model is supposed to far better quality than previous models (Although doesnt take much to improve :D )

I think the body has been styled to suite the upper models (Calais ->HSVs) cos the base models look strange with those flared wheel arches.

Those new HSV GTSs look shit hot IMO

So i reckon VE is much better model than previous

Edited by bogan_bob

Every time i see one i stop and think wow someones put a lot of effort into the Astra.... then it hits me, its actually a commodore.

I'll admit im a Ford fan, but i actually liked the commodores before this series, they were nice... but VE no thanks.

I want to know who out there thought the previous model, VT-VZ, was not large enough that they had to make the new one even bigger.

OK, so Holden had bigger plans in mind - mainly to export to the US, but the car is still bigger than most US sedans.

Parking in Sydney is hard enough, who wants to park something that big. I think the people at Holden are compensating for something else.

They're just taking into account that Australians and Americans are getting fatter and therefore need larger cars to fit in.

Commodores will always be commodores, rubbish. That commodore advertisement, Australia 1 Germany 0. What bullshit, Australia will never ever be as good as the Germans. My personal oppinion of the the new VE is that it looks cramped up and boxy, ugly.

I'd consider a HSV GTS or Senator if I needed a family car and could afford that price bracket, but I'd need an aftermarket bodykit. The lines for all the openings seem a bit too haphazard to my eye.

But with a 6.0L V8, MRC and massive brakes it should go OK for a big-ass sedan. And I generally like the new shape. It needs a bit of cleaning up, but its a nice base to work from.

That said, for the cost of a HSV GTS I could buy a Mitsubishi 380 for carrying people (I don't tow anything so the lack of V8 isn't a major issue) and have enough money to own a R33 GT-R for when I wanted to have some fun.

A couple of years ago they ran a HSV, V8 M5 and AMG E55 at the Nurburgring in the hands of an independent driver familiar with the track. The HSV was the quickest. I'd love to see the current V10 M5 and the new GTS MRC go head to head on the 'ring, and see if the HSV is still quicker.

VZ HSV Clubsport DTS - Only 0.5 seconds slower than an Evo/STI around Wakefield (and faster than a 350Z to boot)

That's performance car stuff right there.

I like the performance but I don't like the look and overall 'boatness' of the Commodore.

Basically I want the LS2 engine in a good sporty chassis

So basically I want a Corvette. :(

Of the new VEs, they are eye catching but they are indeed massive cars. I wouldn't mind one for a luxo-barge (eg the Calais) but in the end I'd probably spend my money on something a bit more unique like the Chrylser 300C

i not really a fan of the new shape, i agree that they clearly intended for it to suit the SS and Cluby type models

BUT!!!

this is completely hot and i would love to own one of these... custom interior of course

VE%20GTS%2001.JPG

:(

HSV... i just want THAT one

i not really a fan of the new shape, i agree that they clearly intended for it to suit the SS and Cluby type models

BUT!!!

this is completely hot and i would love to own one of these... custom interior of course

VE%20GTS%2001.JPG

:(

HSV... i just want THAT one

I'll take the GT3 RS on the front page :D

Thier nice cars, i'd look at one for a family car/daily driver... but they aren't sports cars, not in the same class as a GTR... GTR is made to go fast everywhere, VE is made to carry passengers, tow boats/caravans... which isn't a bad thing, still a nice car.